Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huffpo scorns bacon as very unhealthy. Whats the real scoop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Oh, I don't use it as a protein source; that's what beef and lamb and fish and other meats are for. I use it as a source of deliciousness.
    Succulent, salty, smoky deliciousness...

Comment

Like turquoise, I rarely have it. I buy a side of GF beef every year and just added a couple of freezer lambs to my stockpile of meat. I'd rather eat almost any meat over pork, never really been a fan. I do make chicken for my kids cause they love it, but I buy whole chickens from a local farmer for that.

I initially shied away from pork/bacon because of the gleeful, 'eat pounds of bacon and be healthy' cheers from when I first joined the site. It never made me feel like my body was now fueled by magic, lol. My reasons have changed since then but I still don't like to eat much of it.

Comment

I love my uncured, minimally processed bacon. Love it. Eat it regularly, with figurative relish, because it fills my pasture-raised eggs with even more deliciousness.
        F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
          Lol! I actually eschew bacon (pork & chicken in general) in favor of beef/lamb bc the saturated fat isn't high enough for my liking! Too much PUFA (unsaturated fats). If I have a few slices at a diner then fine, but I don't buy it for home consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

I keep some high-quality bacon and sausages (both pork and chicken) around and use them occasionally. Just ate three chicken and apple sausage because I forgot to take anything out of the freezer last night or at least before going to the gym and I was starving..but they're my supplements, not main stays.

Beef and lamb and wild-caught sea food for me for the most part. Wild poultry that I take hunting and then store. Will probably eat a bunch of pork if I go boar hunting this December like has been talked about.

The fat content is unfavorable. And, at least where I shop, grassfed beef and lamb are cheaper per calorie than pasture pork and poultry. Just not worth it to me.

Comment

I like bacon, I eat it on occasion, but not scads of it. I think of it as a fat source- like I cook veggies in it or have a piece or two.

That article was probably more driven by bacon "the trend" versus bacon being a public health crisis.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

So today my breakfast experiment was asking how much was too muich bacon. It turns out that 6 strips isn't too much. (eaten with 3 courgettes and some refried potatoes)
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                Oh, I don't use it as a protein source; that's what beef and lamb and fish and other meats are for. I use it as a source of deliciousness.

Sent via lightsaber

Mr. Anthony wins the thread!

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  Bacon is not a high protein food. I eat it as a condiment or a treat, not as my source of dietary protein.
                  Back bacon isn't too bad for protein, though.
                  Your post literally just reminded me of what Americans call 'bacon'. This BF post has it right (no 5): http://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/...rit-in-america.
                  --
                  Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                  I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                  I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Huffpo scorns bacon as very unhealthy. Whats the real scoop?

Smoking fatty grassfed beef with a touch of cumin, paprika, and sea salt 👌👌

Or Uyghur style lamb jerky.

That's my bacon.
                    ------
                    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

What is the "beef" so to speak with bacon? Is it the nitrates or the saturated fat. If saturated fat is harmless; and if nitrates are more abundant in celery; then there should be no problem. Yet I continuously see all those studies warning of the dangers of processed foods. So I still eat bacon; but I still get the willies about it....But does anyone ever mention the fact that bacon doesn't give you cavities? Doesn't give you IBS? Keeps you thin on a low carb diet? Satisfies? Satiates?
                      Last edited by zebonaut; 11-13-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zebonaut View Post
                        What is the "beef" so to speak with bacon? Is it the nitrates or the saturated fat. If saturated fat is harmless; and if nitrates are more abundant in celery; then there should be no problem. Yet I continuously see all those studies warning of the dangers of processed foods. So I still eat bacon; but I still get the willies about it....
                        Celery having nitrates isn't really a sound endorsement for their consumption. 99.9999% of the time I find them vile and when I fancy them, a stalk of two suffices. That hardly matches the quantities in which I would consume bacon if I deemed it 100% safe.

Note: my salt consumption is ridiculously high as, when it drops, I dehydrate. A high sodium diet (cycled, of course, so sometimes no added salt and sometimes salt by the bucketload) is required when no-added-salt leads to you not absorbing much of the water you drink, causing dehydration.
                        Hence why bacon is so brilliant. Juicy back bacon, fatty back, meaty centre, loaded with salt? Heaven.
                        Last edited by Kochin; 11-13-2013, 06:15 PM.
                        --
                        Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                        I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by zebonaut View Post
                          What is the "beef" so to speak with bacon? Is it the nitrates or the saturated fat. If saturated fat is harmless; and if nitrates are more abundant in celery; then there should be no problem. Yet I continuously see all those studies warning of the dangers of processed foods. So I still eat bacon; but I still get the willies about it....But does anyone ever mention the fact that bacon doesn't give you cavities? Doesn't give you IBS? Keeps you thin on a low carb diet? Satisfies? Satiates?

As much as I love bacon, in my mind the only negative is that it is that the bacon I have access to is certainly less than ideal. So any hormones, antibiotics or whatever the put into them is likely stored in the fat. Bacon is fat. It doesn't stop me from having it but I think that is what the "beef" is for me.

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                          Smoking fatty grassfed beef with a touch of cumin, paprika, and sea salt ����

Or Uyghur style lamb jerky.

That's my bacon.

Your bacon sounds awesome.

Comment

Working...
                          X