Not On Statins? You Will Be.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not On Statins? You Will Be.

Sweet Jeezabel, that's basically what this article on CNN says. You'll be on statins.

Seriously, read this bullcrap. Ugh. I hate people.

Terrible Cholesterol Article

n their place, the guidelines suggest using specific risk factors to determine who should be treated with cholesterol-lowering statin drugs, and who should simply make lifestyle changes.

Among the four questions to ask to determine risks: Do you have heart disease? Do you have diabetes (Type 1 or 2)? Do you have a bad cholesterol level more than 190? And is your 10-year risk of a heart attack greater than 7.5%?
    According to the new guidelines, if you answered yes to any of those four questions, you should be on a statin. Period.
    Do you have heart disease? No

Do you have diabetes (Type 1 or 2)? No

Do you have a bad cholesterol level more than 190? Oh crap.

And is your 10-year risk of a heart attack greater than 7.5%? No.

Go ahead and give me the prescription but I still won't take statins.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I read a different article on the same subjectearkier but unfortunately I can't find itright now. That article mentioned that nearly half of the committeecouldnt vote on the proposal because of their ties to the industry. It actually went on to say itwas difficult to find doctorsat that level who are not connected to the industry.

It also had some quotes from members of the committee stating that part of their rationale was that diet would do little to educe risk. At the same time they recommend a diet focussed on vegetables, fruit, whole grains, fish and healthy oils with little red meat. Basically the medeteranian diet. I know I shouldn't be but I am shocked they are basically coming out and saying "don't worry about it, just take the pills".

Comment

No me mon.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          Do you have heart disease? No

Do you have diabetes (Type 1 or 2)? No

Do you have a bad cholesterol level more than 190? Oh crap.

And is your 10-year risk of a heart attack greater than 7.5%? No.

Go ahead and give me the prescription but I still won't take statins.
          Their definition of "bad cholesterol" is LDL but isn't there good LDL?

An article linked from the original has this to say:

"Some foods may have a healthy effect on blood cholesterol levels. Some options include:

Whole grains, such as oatmeal, oat bran and whole-wheat products
          Nuts, such as walnuts, almonds and brazil nuts
          Plant sterols such as beta-sitosterol and -sitostanol (typically found in margarine spreads such as Promise Activ or Benecol)
          Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fatty fish, fish oil supplements, flaxseeds and flaxseed oil"
          Last edited by PBNewby; 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM.
          Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
          Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
          "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
          "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
          "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

I've been offered statins twice but never had a direct LDL measurement, and the rest of my bloodwork is optimal. I guess once a business reaches a certain size it takes on a life of its own.

I'm intrigued by the increased focus on "lifestyle" except the last wellness quiz I took at work flunked me for skipping breakfast, getting 0 whole grain servings, 0 legume servings, and 0 nonfat dairy servings per day.
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
              I'm intrigued by the increased focus on "lifestyle" except the last wellness quiz I took at work flunked me for skipping breakfast, getting 0 whole grain servings, 0 legume servings, and 0 nonfat dairy servings per day.
              I don't eat any of those things. Guess it's a good thing I'm self-employed.

Comment

This is such unbelievably stupid shit. Soon they will ban saturated fat and red meat.

Comment

Wow. They change the description so that it favors the pharmaceutical industry over the individual. Color me shocked.

Comment

Not on statins?

Comment

One thing I didn't expect is that it's true, statins are no longer a HUGE money maker for pharmaceutical industry, I would have thought this might play right into their hands.......oh well, they will find another way.......something will come out recommending that everyone should be on Prozac or Seroquel.....
                      The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
                      SW - 192
                      CW - 180
                      GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

Mother. Of. God! <Insert facepalm icon here> Why should we be so surprised, though? The sad thing is that all the sheeple will simply follow the Gub'ment guidelines without asking questions, getting progressively sicker and sicker and not understanding why. After all...Big Pharma isn't trying to cure us, they're creating customers.
                        Heaviest: 1-22-2012 = 203 lbs, of being skinny fat, beginning PB
                        Current: = 182 lbs. 14% body fat.
                        Goal: 175 lbs. was made in April 2013.

Comment

Wait - when I read this study my understanding was that these recommendations will reduce the number of people on statins, not increase it.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

So when research that shows cholesterol levels are not correlated to heart attacks is finally accepted and known, other criteria to put people on statins will already be in place. Good grief.
                            2005 Low Carb - lost @ 80 pounds slowly, avg 15 pounds per year
                            2010 Paleo Diet
                            2013 Stephan Guyenet Low Food Reward/Seth Roberts Shangri-La with MCT Oil

Last 40 pounds lost with protein-sparing modified fasts, potato hack, and low food reward/Shangri-La Diet with MCT oil.

Now down 120+ pounds lost

Comment

Originally posted by Kegas76 View Post
                              Not on statins?

Hahaha! Perfect. I was a huge Star Wars fan growing up. And I love your avatar (big Aqua Teen Hunger Force fan).
                              Last edited by yodiewan; 11-13-2013, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X