Not On Statins? You Will Be.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From another article.

"They lower risk by lowering cholesterol." But he acknowledged that clinical studies had not been able to prove that lowering cholesterol to specific targets translated into lower risk that a blockage would halt blood flow to the brain or heart.

From yet another article.

They include eating four to five servings of fruit every day, another 4-5 servings of vegetables, eating whole grains and limiting meat, fish and poultry to 6 ounces or less a day.

And these are from the original article I read.

Roughly half the cholesterol panel members have financial ties to makers of heart drugs, but panel leaders said no one with industry connections could vote on the recommendations.

"It is practically impossible to find a large group of outside experts in the field who have no relationships to industry," said Dr. George Mensah of the heart institute. He called the guidelines "a very important step forward" based on solid evidence, and said the public should trust them.

And this gem.

Most cholesterol is made by the liver, so diet changes have a limited effect on it.

The only thing I find good about the logic is that they are no longer focussing on numbers. I have always felt they picked arbitrary numbers to indicate a certain risk or condition but were adamant about that number. Then the number would change. The idea that we should treat people based on risk factors (maybe we should work on eliminating them) instead of numbers is a move in a positive direction but to come right out and say it is a good thing that we are going to give more people drugs is unbelievable.

Comment

Guys, isn't it weird we evolved with an organ that's dedicated to killing us with arterycloggingcholesterol? How great we have the technology to shut that down!

M.

Comment

I was taking a statin when I had insurance and when I informed my PCP that I was about to lose my insurance and couldn't afford the rx anymore he said "just take fish oil, then."

I will not take a statin (or an anti-depressant) ever again. If I am required to take a statin (if it is a condition of the ACA and if I have to enroll in the ACA), then I will throw them in the garbage. I haven't heard that people enrolled in the ACA will be required to take any rx's specifically, I'm just saying...
        Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
        Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
        Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
        Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
        1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
        GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
        CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
        49 - 5'7.5"
        Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

Read my lips: No new prescriptions!

No statins for me. Period. I changed doctors when my last one told me that, among other things, my HDL **was too high.**
          F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Originally posted by darylb View Post
            The only thing I find good about the logic is that they are no longer focussing on numbers. I have always felt they picked arbitrary numbers to indicate a certain risk or condition but were adamant about that number. Then the number would change. The idea that we should treat people based on risk factors (maybe we should work on eliminating them) instead of numbers is a move in a positive direction but to come right out and say it is a good thing that we are going to give more people drugs is unbelievable.
            The numbers still matter as they are used in the 10 year risk factor. They are just no longer the goal posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              Sweet Jeezabel, that's basically what this article on CNN says. You'll be on statins.

Seriously, read this bullcrap. Ugh. I hate people.

Terrible Cholesterol Article
              Super easy, I just stay away from the doctor. Period.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                Super easy, I just stay away from the doctor. Period.
                Same here. I only go when I need x-rays to see if a bone needs to be set or not.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

Originally posted by PBNewby View Post
                  Their definition of "bad cholesterol" is LDL but isn't there good LDL?
                  I guess I misunderstood and thought they said "a bad cholesterol level" not "a high level of the bad cholesterol". My total cholesterol was 268 last time it was measured, which was many years ago. I stay away from the doctor. If he argues with me again, I will tell him that my plan for my life is to retire as early as possible and spend my time hiking long trail and then sitting around remembering my long hikes. I won't be able to do that with muscle pain and weakness and memory loss.

Dr. Eades has had a few good posts on his blog lately about cholesterol. I imagine he'll have something about this latest thing soon.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                    Guys, isn't it weird we evolved with an organ that's dedicated to killing us with arterycloggingcholesterol? How great we have the technology to shut that down!

M.
                    Oh yeah, technology to save us from ourselves.
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

I have told every doc for 10 years, "NO!" Don't recon that will chance without a stack of good studies.

NO
                      Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

What will come next in the "land of the free" is coercing you to take them by increasing your medial insurance if you meet their definition of at risk -- which will be a vague definition that fits everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                          One thing I didn't expect is that it's true, statins are no longer a HUGE money maker for pharmaceutical industry, I would have thought this might play right into their hands.......oh well, they will find another way.......something will come out recommending that everyone should be on Prozac or Seroquel.....
                          The statins are no longer a huge profit maker because the patents on most of them have run out and they are producing generics but someone is still making money off the generics.

The cynical side of me (which is a huge percentage of my thinking), would not be surprised to find out that one or more of the drug companies have a new cholesterol drug just waiting for approval and being patented and are pushing for this ahead of the approval.

That these new guidelines won't result in more money for someone is utter BS. Cui Bono.

I did their spreadsheet thing and all it took was a small tweak of the numbers and, Surprise Surprise!, I would be recommended to take statins. But figure the odds of me taking them.
                          Randal
                          AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                          Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                          http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                            The statins are no longer a huge profit maker because the patents on most of them have run out and they are producing generics but someone is still making money off the generics.

The cynical side of me says that since profit margins are down, they need to increase volume. Maybe it's not the same companies that made the name brands that make the money ....................... or maybe it is.

Comment

Does anyone know how to interpret the results of the "10 year & lifetime ASCVD Risk Assessment" that was created by those who who wrote these new guidelines? My result was 6.2% -- does that mean I have a 6.2% of having a coronary event in the next 10 years? My doc has been pushing statins at me for years and I've always declined. Since I'm 68 y.o., a 6.2% chance over the next 10 years doesn't seem so large to me and certainly wouldn't have warranted my ever giving in on the statins.
                              Starting Weight: 197.5
                              Current Weight: 123
                              Far healthier!

Comment

Funny, the timeliness of this thread. I saw my Dr. today and he was trying to shove statins down my throat. My overall cholesterol was 231. He claimed statins are as good or better than multi vitamins and everybody should be on them. He also claimed they have no side effects, I already know better than that. He asked me to go on 40 mg zocor and get rechecked in 45 days, I'll get rechecked, but there won't be any zocor involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X