Walmart Black Friday - Cheap Junk vs Family Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart Black Friday - Cheap Junk vs Family Time

Apparently, Walmart will start their Black Friday sales at 6PM on Thanksgiving:

Wal-Mart steps up competition for holiday shopping: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money

How many people will eschew their family dinner to get a five dollar toaster?

Not everyone eats "dinner" in the evening on a holiday.

I always skip the live Black Friday sales. If I want to shop, I shop online.

Comment

I feel bad for the people that have to work those sales. Even if they get overtime, time and a half or holiday pay, it would suck to have to miss holiday time with your family to go deal with masses of people wanting crap. I've heard a lot of places, it is mandatory that they come in. I know it comes with the territory with a retail job, but most people aren't working at WalMart because they love retail.... they do it because they have to, and now they get to have to leave their family's day off to go deal with a bunch of rabid assholes.

I could give a shit about people wanting to shop and being excited about it. But seriously, can we just give retail workers a stab at a holiday?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

FWIW, I have done petsitting all day on Thanksgiving, so skipped a holiday to earn money. I was well compensated, so I can see the appeal for voluntarily working a shift like that.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working at Walmart on black Friday has got to be one of the worst jobs.

We never shop on BF, in fact we make a point of not buying anything.
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I am eagerly anticipating the day when stores are open on Christmas Day, to get an early start on the "After Xmas Sales!". You wait, that shit will happen.

I am now just used to my own country making me sick and ashamed of calling myself an American on a daily basis. We have no soul anymore. We now have setup an entire society built on the idea of selling Chinese trash and hamburgers to one another, and calling that a "culture". It is truly a Dark Age for us.

I am giving my employees Wednesday off, as well as the next 2 days of course, to have time to fly or drive to meet their families. Christmas is over a week off....Some things are much more important than my P&L sheet. What a bunch of pathetic consumerist sheep we have. Sickening.

Sorry. Maybe next time I will tell you how I really feel
            "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I've always chosen to work holidays. I actually like money more than my family.

My family sucks. I never see them because they suck.

The fiance and I have an understanding that we'll see each other in the evening anyways, so working is good.

M.

Comment

I used to work overnight in the backroom for Target before the Thursday night crap started. For a few years we would work the (Wednesday) night before Thanksgiving and get off at ~8am. It was nice to be done work, go home and just enjoy the day. Then we switched to working the night before Black Friday (with Wednesday night off). Instead of our normal 11pm start we started at 7 or 8pm. I don't remember if we opened at midnight or or some stupid early AM hour those years but we were still there when shopping started.

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                I am eagerly anticipating the day when stores are open on Christmas Day, to get an early start on the "After Xmas Sales!". You wait, that shit will happen.
                Nah, Christmas Day is reserved by the movie theaters.

Comment

I am now just used to my own country making me sick and ashamed of calling myself an American on a daily basis. We have no soul anymore. We now have setup an entire society built on the idea of selling Chinese trash and hamburgers to one another, and calling that a "culture". It is truly a Dark Age for us.

I am giving my employees Wednesday off, as well as the next 2 days of course, to have time to fly or drive to meet their families. Christmas is over a week off....Some things are much more important than my P&L sheet. What a bunch of pathetic consumerist sheep we have. Sickening.

Sorry. Maybe next time I will tell you how I really feel
                  Good post.

These Black Friday crowds make you wonder what would happen in a real rush to get goods, like war. Can you imagine how people will behave in a situation like that, if they're willing to trample each other to get some crap on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                    I could give a shit about people wanting to shop and being excited about it. But seriously, can we just give retail workers a stab at a holiday?
                    This would require Walmart to put its employees ahead of profits for one day. An unimaginable idea.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                      You are just jealous that they run out of them before you could get one last year.

Seriously though. BF is just a mindfuck, where people, i.e. - the Consumer are being manipulated into buying in most cases unnecessary stuff and are led to believe they are getting an excellent deal for it.

I've never shopped on that day, but I used to work in retail a while back. It's quite sad.

Comment

Here in Canada, Boxing Day (day after Christmas) is our Black Friday. people start lining up before midnight on Christmas day for the door crasher specials. And living close to the border, alot of Canadians get all amped up about Black Friday and make a weekend of it. I can't see how there are any savings to be had, what with gas, meals and hotel. Duty, taxes, etc.

Ever since working retail in my teens, I honor a self imposed 3-day holiday and do not shop on Christmas Eve, Christmas day or Boxing day. If we had Black Friday, I would avoid that too. Everything goes on sale at some point. There is nothing we need a bad enough to suffer that kind of hell.
                        Sandra
                        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

I am giving my employees Wednesday off, as well as the next 2 days of course, to have time to fly or drive to meet their families. Christmas is over a week off.
                          Laz, the country needs more people like you.

I do NOT shop for ANYTHING from Wednesday before Thanksgiving until the next Monday. Maybe if more of us refused to fall prey to the marketing assholes, they'd get the hint and keep the stores closed on holidays.

Comment

Growing up I worked in a grocery store, a fast food restaurant, and other low-end retail type places. There seem to be three groups of employees - kids (who spent time with family), those with kids (who spend time with family), and people trying to get by who will gladly work every hour they can to make a few extra bucks (some with kids, some without). The third group loves holiday pay/OT.

Hell, I remember my first job out of college working for the state making $7 an hour. I had to take a day off because the governor died. I didn't get 'benefits' so it was unpaid. That $50 was my grocery money for two weeks - gone. Holdiays - mandated off - again unpaid. I'd have happily just worked for regular pay let alone extra. Sure, it is retail hell, but for some that extra holiday pay/day of work is the difference between getting their kid a christmas gift or eating the next week. I wish all bosses were like Laz, sadly they are not.

I try to keep that in mind every time I see the insanity that is black friday. That said, I am not going anywhere near a store that day.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                              Apparently, Walmart will start their Black Friday sales at 6PM on Thanksgiving:

Wal-Mart steps up competition for holiday shopping: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money

If I can find a big chain store that offers Black Friday stuff online Thanksgiving evening, I will do that. If not, it's Cyber Monday for me. I have never been shopping on Black Friday. And if I have to drive on that day, I avoid the areas near the stores.
                              Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                              Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                              Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                              Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                              1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                              GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                              CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                              49 - 5'7.5"
                              Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

Working...
                              X