Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girls as young as 9 going through puberty????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls as young as 9 going through puberty????

So I was on the way to work this morning and heard this stat on the radio. What is happening? I don't have the privilege of having kids of my own yet so I really know nothing about this but that is a really frightening statistic!

I'm curious to know if this is happening around the world or if this is just a North American concern.

Is our water and our food source so contaminated with environmental estrogens?

Same here in France, across the Atlantic Ocean. [when I was a teenager (10 years ago), girls were going through puberty at 11 - 14, but never earlier] .
    As to the reason, I believe as you say that environmental estrogens are too omnipresent.
    Wouldn't be surprised if it came from meat as well.
    ======== ==== == =
    Be hardcore, drink water

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with all the growth and other hormones fed to our food sources as well as things like soy being added to everything including our grooming products. I am sure the actual answer is a little more complex.

Comment

The most popular "studies" I have heard of were about fish populations, becoming essentially female due to (or in very close correlation ?) environmental estrogens.
        These studies are at least 10 years old.
        ======== ==== == =
        Be hardcore, drink water

Comment

I sort of hit on this in my journal the other day. Give cows bgh so you can get more milk/meat out of them. Then because it makes them sick on a regular basis, give them antibiotics daily. Run ad campaigns like, "Milk, it does a body good," and "Beef - it's what's for dinner." It's a twofer - not only are girls menstruating earlier, but we're creating superbugs that current antibiotics can't handle.

And there are moobs.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

It's nothing new, since the 1830's/1840's age of menarche has been dropping. It also varies in different parts of the world. Lots of literature and research exists on it, here is Wiki's bit about it

Historical shift

The average age at which the onset of puberty occurs has dropped significantly since the 1840s.[66][67][68] This was dubbed 'the secular trend' by J. M. Tanner. In every decade from 1840 to 1950 there was a drop of four months in the average age of menarche among Western European females. In Norway, girls born in 1840 had their menarche at an average age of 17 years. In France, the average in 1840 was 15.3 years. In England, the average in 1840 was 16.5 years. In Japan the decline happened later and was then more rapid: from 1945 to 1975 in Japan there was a drop of 11 months per decade.

A 2006 study in Denmark found that puberty, as evidenced by breast development, started at an average age of 9 years and 10 months, a year earlier than when a similar study was done in 1991. Scientists believe the phenomenon could be linked to obesity or exposure to chemicals in the food chain, and is putting girls at greater long-term risk of breast cancer.[
            Last edited by ryanmercer; 11-07-2013, 11:26 AM.
            -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
              It's nothing new, since the 1830's/1840's age of menarche has been dropping. It also differents in various parts of the world. Lots of literature and research exists on it, here is Wiki's bit about it
              .... I don't know what to say. I guess when will changes be made or when will society as a whole want to make changes? When a 4 year old starts developing? The thought is horrifying.

Comment

I didn't even know it was unusual. I'm 25 and had my first period at 13 1/2. Most of my friends had gotten theirs by then, though I knew some girls who had been as young as 9. I think my sister was "late" like me as well, but she had a friend who didn't get hers until 15 or 16 and that was considered very late. Let me tell you: 9-year-olds are NOT emotionally mature enough to handle it.
                Depression Lies

Comment

The SO, if memory serves, got hers at 11 or 12. Years ago I've overheard women talking about their daughters who began around 8-9.

I don't know how unusual 12 is, as there are political figures in the middle ages who conceive around that time. Henry V's mother, if my memory is serving.

M.

Comment

I know traditional wisdom is not a very reliable thing on most cases, but when I hit puberty at 11, the nurse in shift at my school just nodded and said that it's more common for heavier girls to start their menses earlier than the lighter ones. And as said, there are some historical cases where very young girls have become pregnant. So I'm inclined to think that even though the hormonal pollution in our water and food undoubtedly play some part (and even a bigger part with actual ailments), the sexual maturity age would be very directly linked with availability of food. Have food, can have loads of healthy babies. No food, best not have babies just yet.

Obviously not an infallible mechanism, but hormones aren't really known for their philosophical proves.
                    Last edited by BrainInABody; 11-07-2013, 12:51 PM.
                    My diary comics
                    My fitness inspiration blog

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                      The SO, if memory serves, got hers at 11 or 12. Years ago I've overheard women talking about their daughters who began around 8-9.

I don't know how unusual 12 is, as there are political figures in the middle ages who conceive around that time. Henry V's mother, if my memory is serving.

M.
                      List of youngest birth mothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      In the 30's one at 5, 2 at age 6. Several at age 10 in the 1800's and early 1900's.

But yes, in the middle ages royal women were often married off at a younger age, aetas nubilis was 12-13 for the most part during the middle ages (and even in the ancient Roman empire) for females 17 or so for males... the United States have states that range from 15-18 depending on gender (for the most part males the same or higher in age for minimum age) whereas most of the world is 18-21 with very few allowing marriage at 15-7. Young brides that come to mind: Judith of Flanders (12-13), Isabella of Angouleme (9-13, most sources make it appear 12), Muhammad had a few young brides: Sawdah about 9, Aisha 6 (consummated at 9), Safiyah about 16, Mulaykah about 13...

Comment

Originally posted by BrainInABody View Post
                        I know traditional wisdom is not a very reliable thing on most cases, but when I hit puberty at 11, the nurse in shift at my school just nodded and said that it's more common for heavier girls to start their menses earlier than the lighter ones.
                        Makes sense, fat cells can create several varieties of estrogen, raising fat levels increases estrogen levels and increased estrogen levels partially promote fast storage heh.

Comment

I understand girls start their period when they hit a certain weight, about 42kg is bandied around by mothers here. It makes sense, because those with anorexia whose bodyfat percentage drops too far will also stop menstruating.

I was a late developer, 15 1/4 when I started, my daughters 13 1/2 and 13 3/4. So they are significantly younger than I was but not much later than their friends.
                          Annie Ups the Ante
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Could this be related to childhood obesity? There are also demographic factors, like race and ethnicity to be considered.

AA MenarcheSeveral studies have shown that certain girls, particularly African-American girls, experience puberty earlier than others, but there’s an ongoing debate about what that might mean.

There are a number of reasons why some girls begin puberty earlier than others. Girls who are heavier tend to enter puberty earlier than thinner girls, while there are also disorders that can trigger “precocious puberty”— or puberty before age eight. Environmental factors, such as nutrition and certain chemicals, also can play a role. Understanding the genetic components that influence when a girl begins menstruating — also known as her age at menarche (“men-AR-kee”) — could also help scientists better understand the genetic factors behind diseases associated with early puberty, including type 2 diabetes and breast cancer.

But to date, the scientific community has all but overlooked a core population that is perhaps most at risk. Today, African-American women tend to begin menstruating four to six months earlier than girls of European descent.
                            Genetics, Puberty and African American Girls | The 23andMe Blog

ETA: I agree. A 9 yo is psychologically not prepared to deal with getting a period.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                              Could this be related to childhood obesity? There are also demographic factors, like race and ethnicity to be considered.

Genetics, Puberty and African American Girls | The 23andMe Blog

ETA: I agree. A 9 yo is psychologically not prepared to deal with getting a period.
                              Possible, see my above comment about fat and estrogen. I'd suspect the xenoestrogens and phytoestrogens in food as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X