Inspiring people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dharma Comics

I posted some of these comics before, and I've subsequently made contact with the artist to tell her how much I love her work. I love the energy she's spreading. She's a beautiful soul.

Also, Leonard Cohen. His music isnt everyone's cup of tea, but to me, it's exquisite. He sings about love, life, learning, faith, the soul. His lyrics are poetry, loaded with meaning. In addition, he's a gentleman.

A cover of one of his songs:

(the reason I'm posting a cover is because some people are put off by Cohen's voice, but when his songs are covered you can truly hear the beauty. Eg. "Hallelujah")

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Any struggling artists: if you need inspiration, think of JK Rowling. Seven years after graduating from university, Rowling saw herself as "the biggest failure I knew." Her marriage had failed, she was jobless with a dependent child, but she described her failure as liberating:

Failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy to finishing the only work that mattered to me. Had I really succeeded at anything else, I might never have found the determination to succeed in the one area where I truly belonged. I was set free, because my greatest fear had been realized, and I was still alive, and I still had a daughter whom I adored, and I had an old typewriter, and a big idea. And so rock bottom became a solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
      – J. K. Rowling, "The fringe benefits of failure", 2008.

During this period Rowling was diagnosed with clinical depression, and contemplated suicide. Unable to heat her flat, she sat in cafés nursing an espresso for 2 hours at a time and worked feverishly on the manuscript of ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ while her baby daughter slept in a pram.

The manuscript is said to have been rejected by three British publishers – Penguin, Transworld and HarperCollins. But Bloomsbury Children’s Books did sign her up, reportedly paying £10,000 ($14,300) for the rights to ‘Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone’. The book was published under her initials because her publisher feared that boys would be less likely to read the book if they knew it was written by a woman.

It was an instant success.

---

This is also a cool story... and if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see 21 short videos demonstrating random acts of kindness The Story Of This Black Teen Who Protected A White Man From An Angry Mob Continues To Inspire
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

How to do a really awesome thing: figure out something that will benefit people and then set it free on the internet. Guy creates a prototype for a easily home made prosthetic and puts the plans up for free use online:

My diary comics
        My fitness inspiration blog

Comment

Originally posted by Markbt View Post
          Stop watching the news. Sounds crazy? I'm serious.
          Haven't watched TV in 12 years.

Most people aren't aware how much their thinking is influenced by that device.

Comment

Maybe more uplifting than inspiring, but cool nonetheless

13 TED Talks to cheer you up on a bad day | TED Blog

Originally posted by BrainInABody View Post
            How to do a really awesome thing: figure out something that will benefit people and then set it free on the internet. Guy creates a prototype for a easily home made prosthetic and puts the plans up for free use online:

Love this kindness! Thanks for sharing

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by Markbt View Post
              Stop watching the news. Sounds crazy? I'm serious. There is nothing there that is at all necessary. Cheering yourself up is a lot easier when you aren't constantly consuming depressing lies.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Yep, I've given it up too. It seems like the news used to be usefull in informing people of what is going on. Any more it is sensationalized crap. Too much negativity for me.

I find inspiring people every day. People I work with, people I read about, and the people right in my house. I find people here inspiring as well. I think I have come to seek out inspiration in everything.
              Last edited by Jacksson; 11-05-2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Random acts of kindness (with pictures)
                My diary comics
                My fitness inspiration blog

Comment

Originally posted by darylb View Post
                  I find inspiring people every day. People I work with, people I read about, and the people right in my house. I find people here inspiring as well. I think I have come to seek out inspiration in everything.
                  Then you've got it made That's the goal for me. There's too much cynicism in the world.

Originally posted by BrainInABody View Post
                  Love these! The soldiers making the human bridge is amazing.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                    Haven't watched TV in 12 years.

Most people aren't aware how much their thinking is influenced by that device.
                    for not watching tv,
                    you inspire me,
                    it's a damn cancer,

there was a 16 year old kid on John Steward last week,
                    invented and patented a test strip for some kind of kidney disease or something,
                    said he wasn't in it for the money, but to help people,
                    that inspired me.

Steward also had the Afghani girl Molika (sp ?) on,
                    that was cool to see, and to hear her talk, intelligently.
                    F the Taliban.

Comment

It's a little cheesy, but gotta love Will's can-do-it attitude.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                      X