Does No One Have a Good Camera?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does No One Have a Good Camera?

I've been sort of wondering about this lately, but why is it when people post pictures of themselves online, 9 times out of 10 it looks like they are using a 15 year old webcam? I think almost any phone these days, and certainly every actual camera, can take pretty good pictures.

What's the deal here? Is it to intentionally make things less visible?

Sounds like Instagram. It makes things "look cool".

Comment

People use webcams (which are shit) and phones (depending on lighting, front-facing camera, and age of the phone; also shit). I don't think people by cameras that are exclusively cameras much anymore unless they're a pro, amateur, or hobbyist, not just casual user.
      Depression Lies

Comment

I either use my ipod (which takes pretty poor pictures) or my Nikon point and shoot (which takes decent pictures.) Trouble is, I usually take the pictures in bad light situations due to what time of day I'm able to take the picture. A lot of things have to be just right:
        - Gotta be feeling thin and have no bloating
        - There must not be any dents from waistbands or seam marks from tight pants or anything like that
        - Need the house to myself so nobody asks embarrassing questions about why am I taking a picture of myself
        - The room where I take the picture has to be moderately clean
        - There needs to be at least some natural light and not too strong a back-light (oddly, most rooms of the house have a window opposite a mirror)
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I only use my iPhone 5 camera because its easy to upload them straight from there and I am not a photographer just a lame documenter, so I suppose as long as I feel I have suitably documented what I want to see, I don't know or care much about the quality beyond that.

I also never look at the pics I post on a computer- only my phone- so they probably do look grainy full size.

Are you suggesting people with crappy camera phones stop posting so many pics?

Comment

Does No One Have a Good Camera?

Originally posted by quikky View Post
            I've been sort of wondering about this lately, but why is it when people post pictures of themselves online, 9 times out of 10 it looks like they are using a 15 year old webcam? I think almost any phone these days, and certainly every actual camera, can take pretty good pictures.

What's the deal here? Is it to intentionally make things less visible?
            I have a canon 5D mark II and 50mm prime f/1.4 lens. Professional fashion photography quality.

But I don't like to set it up for a simple vanity shot or to carry my dlsr around for random excursions. I mean, my iPhone 5 takes decent pics like this (of my friend) when I take angles, framing, and lighting into account. So why bother?

The best camera is one you have on with you at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
            Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM.
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
              Are you suggesting people with crappy camera phones stop posting so many pics?
              Not at all. I'm just curious why the quality usually sucks.

Comment

The quality of camera phones isn't all that great to begin with, plus a lot of photos are taken in poor light or indoors where camera phones really struggle, and most camera "photographers" are careless when it comes to controlling camera shake.
                My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

Maybe the camera phone pics only look good on a cell phone, but I have to say most of the pictures look great to me and are really fun to look at. As Turquoise said, the best camera is the one you have with you at the time.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Because cameras, watches, phones, pagers, tablets and alarm clocks are all converging in a single device.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                      Because cameras, watches, phones, pagers, tablets and alarm clocks have all converged in a single device.
                      Fixed for ya.
                      Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                      Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                      "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                      "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                      "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Lighting. Lighting lighting lighting.
                        -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Even good-quality cameras can make images look dull and grainy when the lighting isn't perfect. I know mine does that--mainly, most cameras are meant to be used outdoors on a sunny day--any other time, the pictures come out looking crappy.

That's my experience anyway.

EDIT - Basically, what ryanmercer said.
                          My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                          (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                          Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                          (Red Dwarf)

Comment

I think recent phone cameras take great photos. Photos that to be viewed online, anyway.
                            I run a pretty successful online store and I shoot all of the listing photos, and half of them are shot with my phone. I probably get told at least once a day how beautiful my photographs are. They have to be - when someone can't touch or feel the photographs have to be everything. A great photo is all in just taking your time, the right lighting, arranging things just so, and taking multiple shots so you can choose the best one. But when someone's trying to shoot their ass or a flexed bicep, they're just trying to get a quick capture and all of the other stuff falls by the wayside. So yeah....most of the pics here aren't exactly magazine quality And they shouldn't have to be. They get the job done and they're fun to look at.
                            be the hair that knots with my hair
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                              The best camera is one you have on with you at all times.

Cell phone selfies are easier. ::shrugs::
                              No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                              -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

Working...
                              X