No announcement yet.

You may be strong but are you tough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hike in Florida and there is nothing tough about it except the heat and humidity. On occasion, I have been with a friend and we encounter a snake, and she is terrified. I hate to see women like that.

The toughest thing I ever did was to kick my 16-year-old daughter out of the house to go live with her dad. It turned out to be the right decision, but at the time it was terrifying.

Both of my grandmothers endured years of hardship and poverty the likes of which I will never have to face. On my mother's side, she was born in Ukraine in 1913, lost her father in WWI, and lost her mother to illness at the age of eight. Emigrated to Canada in 1928, (narrowly missing one of the worst famines in history, not to mention WWII in Europe), then to the US, where she lived illegally for many years while raising a family and working. My other grandmother had 6 children and another on the way when she was widowed in the rural south in 1949.

Heaven forbid I should ever need to be as tough as they were.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Comment

I could have driven our car right up to the building to load all the baby stuff. Instead I let wife feed baby and carried everything to the car, two blocks away in the parking garage. Three trips, one very heavy, two lighter. A sort of farmer carry, if you will. I felt that burn. And I felt good knowing I wasn't taking the easy way out.

I always like doing things the long, hard way - for practice! I'd sharpen my pencils on the concrete! Love this thread.

Stay tough, my brothers.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        I am tougher than strong. I may whine and complain a bit, but I walked across the entire state of Washington without a rain jacket and without a down jacket and it was 45 degrees and raining many days. I was cold, wet, miserable, but I always had a mental checklist:

- Keep moving, just keep moving.
        - Am I really in serious danger? No, keep moving.
        - Am I really that cold? No, keep moving.
        - What if ___ fails? I can use ___ instead.
        - I promise myself to go home when I get to the next town (and then I wouldn't.)
        - If I do 30 miles today and 30 miles tomorrow I will be warm, clean and dry in a comfy bed at a hotel (and then I'd do it.)
        - As soon as I get to town I will buy a poncho (and then it stopped raining.)

I also walked across the entire state of Oregon in July when the mosquitoes were at their worst. I was weak. I used DEET so I could have a little sanity and poop in peace.

I did all that alone, by the way.

I also hiked in Southern California where it's very windy and cold. I survived a night where I could see stars above but feel rain on my face and with 55 mile an hour winds, it was too windy to set up my tent.

I've actually survived many nights of high winds and had my tent completely destroyed. I think having no shelter is actually the worst thing I've dealt with.

But damn it, I just can't press more than 62.5lbs over my head.
        Well, at least I know a woman to message to beat people up for me. Tough as old boots there
        "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I was a wrestler.....tough is a pre-requisite.

Comment

I'm happy for some anonymity on this site. Today I work with people that 20 years ago would have kicked dirt in my face. I had a childhood I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I've lived in drug houses and when that got rough in my car with nothing but dry ichiban and dinner rolls. I didn't want that life and I always knew that I would have to do 1-1/2 times what anyone else did just to get through. That's why I chose the screen name Iron Will.

Comment

Great to hear your personal stories. As I get older I care less about what others think of me and now I'm 42 the only person whose respect I am trying to earn is my own. This forum is refreshing, it's people and their will making right decisions over and over. Congratulations to all who are achieving their goals and defeating their demons.
              Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
              www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

I'm wary of making any grand chest-beating pronouncements one way or the other on my toughness. You'll know how tough or smart or ethical you are when you're offered an enticing choice of being none of these things. That's when the moment of discovery comes, and the men are separated from the boys.

Until then, stay sharp.

Comment

Born in the "Wild West" of china with the "barbarians" under the commie regime. Raging ethnic warfare in my hometown.

Traveled everywhere from Himalayas above timberline to central china and up to Mongolia to collect plant samples with botanist parents.

Then lived 1hr from the Mexican border as one of the only Asian kids on the block while everyone was in a gang.

Good enough for me in terms of learning how to be tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                  ------
                  HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

I forgot my french press once and had to drink instant coffee like some kind of peasant.

There, that is toughness for you.

yeah, I am a pussy. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                      I forgot my french press once and had to drink instant coffee like some kind of peasant.

There, that is toughness for you.
                      O.M.G. I don't know how you survived! You're so brave!

(I didn't know that instant coffee was still a thing.)
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I have mixed feelings on this. I've had no choice but to be "tough" my whole life. Grew up in a orchard growing and farming family with very little money. We worked long, hard hours in brutal weather day in and day out. We didn't know any different though and never thought to complain. Worked 2-3 tough jobs to put myself though college, again, never occurred to me to want anything different.

I then developed a severe autoimmune disorder with disabling pain and pretty rough treatments....blah, blah, blah ....I guess we all have our stories.

Here's the thing though. I am tired of being tough. Just for a while I want to be warm and comfortable. So if hardship is supposed to make us tougher and stronger, why am I just getting less and less toleranct of it?
                        Last edited by jammies; 10-04-2013, 08:49 PM.
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Oh - and one other thing I find funny in regard to toughness. All the dogs I've ever owned were rough and tumble mutts that could push themselves to their physical limits and endure freezing cold, and other kinds of hardships.

But, every one of them knew how to find the MOST comfortable spot on the sofa or on the bed. They would all seek out soft pillows to rest their head on. So I'm not sure that being tough means going without comfort
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                            Oh - and one other thing I find funny in regard to toughness. All the dogs I've ever owned were rough and tumble mutts that could push themselves to their physical limits and endure freezing cold, and other kinds of hardships.

But, every one of them knew how to find the MOST comfortable spot on the sofa or on the bed. They would all seek out soft pillows to rest their head on. So I'm not sure that being tough means going without comfort
                            I think this is the lesson learned here. I consider myself pretty tough. Having worked under adverse conditions and in demanding jobs, well, toughness was a requirement that was not written into my job description.

But I enjoy putting my feet up in a comfy chair and relaxing. I'm not giving up my comfortable bed to sleep on a rock to toughen myself up, even though I have done my share of sleeping in weird places.

Even the tough as nails mountain men, enjoyed the comfort of a warm fire and a full belly.

Everything in balance, tough and comfortable can both be had. But people choosing comfort over things that might toughen them up make them weak in the end.
                            Randal
                            AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                            Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                            http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post

Here's the thing though. I am tired of being tough. Just for a while I want to be warm and comfortable. So if hardship is supposed to make us tougher and stronger, why am I just getting less and less toleranct of it?
                              Know the feeling. I was once told I was strong, I would get through it. I burst into tears, I was tired of being tough & (due to my situation) going it alone. It's exhausting.

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                                Ok, I have to ask. How do you measure TG? Is there a special instrument for that?
                                TG-ometer.

Comment

Working...
                                X