No announcement yet.

"Your Health is Your Responsibility" ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've known too many people who ran their bodies into the ground with bad habits--habits they knew were bad!--
    Yes. I honestly do not think that most people think being horribly overweight, eating fast food, not exercising or smoking is somehow not going to hurt them. They just do it.

I mean, even if you eat grains, but keep a rein on the stuff you know is junk, you'll avoid a lot of problems. Most people know a diet should include lots of fruits and veggies, good proteins, unprocessed foods etc. Most people know they should exercise. But they choose not to.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Most people I know think that doctors are just around to fix people. It took some time, but I've learned that they're a resource and a tool, but not a bag of solutions. I can use a doctor to get testing I want done and they are certainly good for medical emergencies. But I learned on my own that I have to take my health into my own hands in order to manage it. It's only frustrating because I was lead to believe I would never have to spend so much time looking after my health.
      Depression Lies

Comment

heh heh, namelesswonder said "tool"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          heh heh, namelesswonder said "tool"
          I did consider re-wording that, but obviously decided to leave it
          Depression Lies

Comment

Agreed, Laz. "Facts and science do not matter to a lot of people. Period, end of story. They are simply going to imagine whatever reality they desire is the truth".

We've helped to care for many of our older relatives on both sides of our family, all very intelligent and well educated. Overall they've done well and are reasonable until their 90's. Then they become no longer reasonable. Facts really don't matter. They believe what they believe. Generally they develop paranoid opinions in one or another area.

Then you have the problem of personal determination of control. We tend to follow a hands-off path. They're still sane (mostly)and can make their own decisions. Force is very disagreeable to us. But also, we're not doctors.

On the other hand I once had a very counter experience. I was in a 2-bed hospital room, with 1 empty bed. A young woman (35) was brought in in the mid-morning. She was not obese at all but definitely overweight. Soon a doctor came in and explained to her in detail the conditions and effects of her Lupus. And that her white platelets were ridiculously low; it certainly scared me. He told her another doctor would soon bring in equipment to do further testing. Then he left.

Shortly after that her husband and children came in. The children joined her in bed, all loving and cuddling, which she liked. They seemed a very reasonable and loving family. Until she said she was hungry and they all went to the cafeteria in search of food. After they left, 5 men, 2 doctors, pushing a huge apparatus came in and looked for her. I told them where she'd gone. They stood around for about 10 minutes. Then they left. They never came back. Later the family returned saying that nothing in the cafeteria looked any good, and the husband left for some KFC meals, which was about the worst thing he could do short of axing her. That afternoon another doctor came in and administered a variety of medicines. He told her they would try to get her white platelets up to some minimum number, then she could go home.

The following weeks I looked in the obituaries for notice of her death. I didn't see it, however she lived in a different town. Was the doctor's decision right?
            Last edited by Cryptocode; 09-26-2013, 11:44 AM.
            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I don't see a problem with that policy, quite honestly! If the doctor says you should get a blood test, and you say "No, thanks" why should he/she try and force you to have it? If the doctor advises you take a particular medication or follow a particular eating plan, and you don't want to, should they try to force you to do that, either?

At the end of the day, you're either not doing what they suggest because you've done your own research and you don't think you need their tests or recommendations (in which case you've taken responsibility for your health into your own hands), or because... well you just don't want to (again, because you've taken responsibility into your own hands, even if it's just that you want to keep eating junk food or smoking or whatever).

Now obviously a doctor would be remiss in their responsibilities if they expected you to ASK for particular tests etc. (that are considered standard). I mean, if you visit a doctor for a check up and they don't do ANYTHING because they expect you to know exactly what tests you need or medications you should be on, then they're not a very good doctor.

My husband went to the doctor earlier this year to have his semen checked (haha I know... but he had a vasectomy about a decade ago and I wanted to be certain that he was still shooting blanks) and the doctor wanted him to have other blood tests etc. because he never went for check ups. So he complied, and had his blood work done. The point is, the doctor couldn't force him to undergo extra tests that he wasn't going in for, but he did suggest it because my husband is 40 and has never had regular medical check ups. Whether or not my husband had blood tests was entirely up to him.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the doctor considers your health your responsibility, but should still suggest particular checks or screenings or whatever, but can't or shouldn't enforce that. It should be up to you.

Comment

If I had kept doing what the doctors were telling me to do after I has a heart attack I would be debilitated. The funny thing is what I was doing before the heart attack would not have displeased them. Some of us have no choice but to take responsibility for our own health because modern medicine fails us
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I think it should be.
                  To some extent.
                  Here (Australia) the are campaigns to encourage people to eat better, swap big servings for small (eg ice cream), indoor for out door.
                  Monitor their own health ( measure belly, if it's bigger then 80cm F, 94cm M bigger risk of certain diseases)
                  Knowing signs of stroke, calling ambulance if you think your having a heart attack (& the signs of 1)
                  Eating enough serves of fruit and veggies

Comment

Working...
                  X