No announcement yet.

Who did your parents teach you to hate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad, I've learned as I've gotten older, is very innocuously racist. It wasn't until I grew up, moved out, and got more perspective (met more people) that I realized how many awkward comments he has about other cultures. It was surprising to me. I just didn't expect that from him. I don't think it really rubbed off on me though, aside from having very little exposure to other races. That was just a result of our community.
    Depression Lies

Comment

My grandparents used to drop a lot of racist and anti-Semitic garbage into what had otherwise been perfectly nice conversations. Even a small child, however, I realized they were ignorant and lacked understanding. I think that was one of my first awakenings to the fact that adults didn't know everything.

My parents, on the other hand, did a good job at reinforcing that idea that racism and anti-Semitism were wrong. My brother was a rubella baby, with some cognitive disabilities and developmental delays, so picking on anyone with any kind of disability was out of the question. I think he's a big part of the reason why I've always sided with the underdog.

However--my father was a narcissist, and part of building himself up meant tearing others down. If I learned to hate anybody from him, it was myself. And I did take a lot of that self-blame and self-loathing out on other people before finally coming to grips with it and getting over it.

Comment

My upbringing was all Free To Be You and Me - William Wants A Doll - YouTube
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I was taught that Mormons were a cult and believed in secret magic underwear, and that at some point my best friend (who was a Mormon) would try to convert me. One day she asked me if I wanted to come to some church activity and my parents said see, told you so, and then I wasn't allowed to be her friend anymore.

I was also taught that Catholics were misguided. Protestants, especially Lutherans and Methodists, were the only true religion.

They didn't say anything about race. Only religion.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I was a Mormon, and I was taught that we were the only true church. We were above all other churches and had been selected directly by God and Jesus. Glad I questioned everything, and wish now I had questioned even more. I was never taught to hate anyone though, but believing your are better, chosen or above others is almost as bad.

Comment

The Man.

Hate might be too strong of a word, distrust, was more like it.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

My parents had their share of prejudices, but it was all talk. They taught me to hate debt. It has served me well.
                As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                  I was a Mormon, and I was taught that we were the only true church. We were above all other churches and had been selected directly by God and Jesus. Glad I questioned everything, and wish now I had questioned even more. I was never taught to hate anyone though, but believing your are better, chosen or above others is almost as bad.
                  yeah that's semantics really. Maybe I should have said, "who did your parents teach you to treat as though not entitled to the same rights as whatever group you were told that you were a part of?"
                  "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Myself, unfortunately.
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

People from New Jersey.

Zing.

Actually my parents were cool but my grandmother was a nasty chain-smoking, alcoholic anti-Semite and racist.

Comment

My parents were anti-racist, had speeches qabout equality...
                        But when you scratch deeper, they always made mean jokes and comments about almost everyone. They had a sort of superiority complex.
                        It made me suffer as that cut me from having true and deep relationship with other people.

Comment

well they never tought me to hate, really but their ideas were stamped on me and my brother.
                          In general all Dutch people hate Adolf Hitler and his ideas... however many Dutch people also have a large dislike of people who don't look Dutch.
                          When I moved to the city my family would prout around about all the not-Dutch who were living there like they were all criminals... yet, I think that's what Hitler did as well...

the only people I really hate are the people who try to enforce religion or rules up on an other person
                          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Bad drivers

Comment

Bad drivers
                              i have prob taught my kids that but i try not to categorise bad drivers by appearance. and i try not to swear too much when they get in my way LOL

Comment

My parents were abusive awful ppl.

They taught all 7 of us kids to hate each other, that way they could more easily single us out for abuse.

They brought us up in the lds/Mormon church which gave my father the ability to abuse but hide behind his 'priesthood'.

So, they also taught us to hate all who weren't Mormons.

Thank you thank you for my hubby who took me away from all that and helped me heal.

Hubby grew up being taught that to hate means wishing someone dead.

I can count on one hand ppl I personally hate.

The list gets longer with child abusers, basically anyone who preys on the young, elderly or anyone who they can overpower.

As far as race, religion, or other beliefs, no hate from me!
                                44 F 5'5
                                SW 205.4
                                CW 180.4
                                GW 150

Comment

Working...
                                X