Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu Shot

Hey Everyone,

What is your opinion of the flu shot? I have some friends who always get it... and then others who will not due to bad experiences.

Specifically, my friend ended up in the ER two days after the flu shot with severe chest pain and loss of sensation on one side of her body. Now, today A. is in the ER... two days after the flu shot.... with the worst headache of his life.

Coincidence? I wanted to get the primal community's take.

Thanks!

I don't take any of the following:
    • Vaccinations
    • Over the counter medication
    • Prescription medications
    • I don't have 'regular checkups"

I shun almost everything that modern medicine has to offer and, I don't get sick!

I should predicate this by saying that most of my work has been overseas in developing countries. I eat from roadside food places often, drink the water on hand, travel in airplanes with recirculated air and germ producing passengers.

I'm a firm believe in the "hygiene hypothesis".

Now there is a place for modern medicine. Acute medical care, such as trauma care, is needed. You won't heal compound fracture with good diet and herbs.

But most of modern medicine is focused on treating pre-diseases and it is done with chemicals (prescription and OTC drugs), medical procedures, etc.....all high-profit of course.

However, that is just me. Your mileage may very.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

I take them because my cardiologist demands it off me. He says the risk of getting the flu are worse than issues with the shot.

However I am really suspicious of vaccinations. The flu-shot always makes me sick for a few days and I'm pretty damn sure that my heart issues were caused by a bad hepatitis shot.

My advise (and believe me I have researched this extensively)
      If you don't have any issues with your health right now, don't take the shot. Only take them when you are at greater risk of a flu killing you (like elderly and chronical sick)
      My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

we dont do vaccines.

Comment

it's really your decision based on your research and your thoughts about it.

we do not get the flu vaccine. we never have, and unless there's a very compelling reason to do so, we probably won't. DS has had one vaccine on the schedule: DTaP due to what I perceived to be a real risk.

like texas.grok, we also don't do over the counter medications (no need), and we don't have any prescriptions (no need), and while we do get regular check ups, it's generally just preventative. We get physicals every 2 years; gyn exam every 3rd year. It's only dental that I do every year (one dental, two cleanings). I'm also considering some laser-dermatology work in the coming years, but otherwise, it is basically healthy eating, lots of sleep, good water, and exercise.

yup. keeping healthy.

Comment

Haha there are literally thousands of flu strains in societal circulation at any one time. The drug manufacturers take only a few of these strains and make a vaccine from them, this process takes about 6 months. So you are vaccinating yourself against less than 10 strains that where from a different part of the country/world that where active last flu season.

Not very effective if you ask me. Especially when you consider all the preservatives and foreign substrates that come with a basically useless injection

Sent from my iPhone
            A little primal gem - My Success Story
            Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

There are some segments of the population that it might make sense for them to take the flu shot... the elderly, the very young and those with an impaired immune system, as those segments are the ones most likely to suffer adverse effects (i.e. death) from the infection. People with a healthy immune system are less likely to have a bad out come from the flu....

Comment

I might ad that my boyfriend works for a company who develops tests for vaccines. My distrust of them isn't helping his job...

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

I get free flu shots at work so i get them sometimes and I've never had an adverse reaction but I'm also not sure it's actually done anything for me the years I've taken it.

The flu vaccine is of limited use because they are really guessing what strains will be going around. I forget what the probability is but it's midrange I think.

I think vaccines in general though (mmr, smallpox, polio etc) have been a huge public health success. And the flu can very deadly in certain population or with a virulent strain (1918).
                  Last edited by lea; 09-23-2013, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
                    Haha there are literally thousands of flu strains in societal circulation at any one time. The drug manufacturers take only a few of these strains and make a vaccine from them, this process takes about 6 months. So you are vaccinating yourself against less than 10 strains that where from a different part of the country/world that where active last flu season.

Not very effective if you ask me. Especially when you consider all the preservatives and foreign substrates that come with a basically useless injection

Sent from my iPhone
                    This is why I don't bother with them, either. "Flu" isn't a thing, it's a lot of things.

M.

Comment

I don't really care about the science, I just don't get around to it every year. I haven't gotten the flu since high school, I'm pretty sure.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                        I don't really care about the science, I just don't get around to it every year. I haven't gotten the flu since high school, I'm pretty sure.
                        If they didn't come to my office during work and say do you want this its free I would probably, no not probably definitely not get it either.

Comment

The flu shot is a very necessary thing for the immunocompromised population....I am pretty assertive with elderly, diabetic patients in poor health to get it done. I lost 3 patients last year to the flu, all in the 70's or 80's with known immune system issues.

For the average buck, young person or child over 12 though, I don't feel it is a net-positive thing. The chances of death from the flu for a person of normal health is very low, while chances of complication are not zero. That said, most people with normal immune systems are also LESS likely to have complications in the first place.

Overall, immunizations are one of the most profound and positive advances of modern medicine. Many of the people that deride vaccines do so because they are able to raise their kids and live in world that has largely erradicated disease THROUGH vaccination.

Measles, rubella, mumps, polio, all of these will commonly have lifelong health implications if caught by a child. One can argue that THEY do not feel they are needed, but this is a first-world attitude that is biting the hand that keeps their children from being born with rubella. Society absolutely requires them, as a whole.
                          "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by lea View Post
                            If they didn't come to my office during work and say do you want this its free I would probably, no not probably definitely not get it either.
                            Oh yeah, that's the only reason why I got the H1N1 vaccine in college. I was at the school's clinic for something else and they said, "Why don't we just pop you on the list for tomorrow?" At the time, they were prioritizing people with asthma and other respiratory issues, I think, which did not apply to me.
                            Depression Lies

Comment

Grandma didn't get them 'til she was almost 70. I'm waiting even longer than that. If you've been exposed to every flu ever in your lifetime, chances are, you have some immunity to whatever comes down the pike this year. JMO.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                              X