• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Big Agribusiness made us associate Carbohydrates with love and happines

Like This:

Pillsbury Doughboy TV Commercial - YouTube

White Flour = Love and happiness

It's pretty sick, when you look at it in light of what flour does to a person... Manipulative for sure. Tug at the ol' heart strings a bit, put in a fat little dough boy (I've always wanted to take a rolling pin to that SOB), and add kids = Positive association for peasant chow at overinflated prices.
    Eat like a Beast, feel like a Beast!
    Eat from a huge bag of processed junk... Well... You know.

Comment

A logical marketing move that's for sure...

Wait a sec... who's that man from your avatar?

Comment

Well, I don't want to look like dough boy and have people poke at my pudge so....
        ------
        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

What's with the sensationalist title?

I always wanted to beat the shit out of the Pilsbury doughboy anyway.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
            A logical marketing move that's for sure...

It's that guy from an old show. He played a ghost.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              What's with the sensationalist title?

I always wanted to beat the shit out of the Pilsbury doughboy anyway.
              Snap, well said.

There was Pastries and Baking going on before the Doughboy, the problem is the cultural change....

Bread, after all, is just a product of early agriculture. The Romans ate "Tostum" for making use out of the dried out Bread , and raising a Toast to help handle the acidity of Wine.

So...Might as well have a go at Kelloggs for making Breakfast cereal a norm, or the odd government who calls Baked Beans swimming in Sugar and Tomato juice one of your 5 a day.... :S

Comment

Remember to eat your 6 servings of whole grains a day like a good goy.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

It's the uncle from My Favorite Martian. He's a Martian. Martian is one of those words that stops looking like a word the more you look at it. Martian Martian Martian.
                  be the hair that knots with my hair
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by little vase View Post
                    It's the uncle from My Favorite Martian. He's a Martian. Martian is one of those words that stops looking like a word the more you look at it. Martian Martian Martian.
                    Yes..it became marty an.

That's right..not a ghost..a marty an.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Its funny; minus all the carbs; I never get hungry anymore. Proof that there is an addictive quality to carbs; and your body craves them for the glucose fuel. I'll let my body convert the fat and protein I eat; to any small amount of glucose it may need. (Avatar is Ray Walston from the old My Favorite Martian series, a rather scientific character)

Comment

Originally posted by zebonaut View Post
                        Its funny; minus all the carbs; I never get hungry anymore. Proof that there is an addictive quality to carbs; and your body craves them for the glucose fuel. I'll let my body convert the fat and protein I eat; to any small amount of glucose it may need. (Avatar is Ray Walston from the old My Favorite Martian series, a rather scientific character)
                        Talking about carbohydrates, it's me or I barely feel "hungry" anymore until I start to feel that pain that comes after not eating for too long?

Comment

Talking about carbohydrates, it's me or I barely feel "hungry" anymore until I start to feel that pain that comes after not eating for too long?
                          I'm almost there myself. About 14 hours into my daily IF, the beginnings of actual hunger pains are starting but no problem. I can handle another few hours until dinner.

As to the OP, commercials such as the Pillsbury Doughboy are nothing more than marketing ploys that are in response to the CW that was started by the US government with the Food Pyramid.

It also buys into the stereotype of "Fat is happy" that has been perpetuated for some time.

The Doughboy is fat, you poke him and he giggles, the commercialized image of the "happy fat man" used for marketing purposes.
                          Randal
                          AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                          Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                          http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Baked goods were already associated with love and happiness in American culture long before the doughboy character was invented. They still are. Mom and apple pie. Moms who make cookies (there was some huge political thing I think with Hillary about that a while back). Grandma's stuffing at Thanksgiving. That sort of thing. What corporate America first had to do was show that they could save mom and grandma all that work while still allowing them to provide the love and happiness. The Doughboy was mom's little helper in the kitchen. Eventually we got to the point now where everybody just goes straight to the love and happiness without needing a mom to make it for them. Now we can associate the doughboy and Pillsbury with love and happiness directly. The finger poke is more about freshness and fresh-bakedness than about being fat. It really isn't about the carbs so much as it's about marketing a product. They could be selling bacon and then they'd just use cultural associations having to do with bacon.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

l.jpg

Now, THAT'S more like it...
                              Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
                              Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
                              Current weight: 210.8 lbs
                              Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
                              ChooseMyPlate

Comment

Working...
                              X