Getting rid of internet at home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of internet at home

Anyone live without internet at home, or has experimented with it? In today's world I think it's very inconvenient to not use internet at all, but I know that personally I use it way too much. So I came across this idea of just not using it at home. Thoughts?

Killing the Internet at Home Is the Most Productive Thing I’ve Ever Done | The Minimalists
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

Surely you were alive before the Internet, right? Oh wow, I guess some people might not have been. That actually shocks me. I remember dial telephones attached to the wall with a cord and getting only 3 channels on the black and white TV and still think that's normal.

What I would like is to rid my home of TV and just have high-speed Internet, but alas corporate monopoly in my area makes that impossible.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Live without the internet?!? How would I get on this forum?!?

Hehe... seriously though, I can see how getting rid of the internet could mean greater productivity. I waste a lot of time on forums and youtube videos. But I post my fics on the internet, and that's my main hobby, so getting rid of it would never be an option for me.
      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Internet is the thing I would NOT want to get rid of!

I can easily live without cable (and would say the same about TV, but the new flat panels make such nice big-screen computer monitors...) and many of the other 'must haves' that people spend big bucks on, but I think Internet is too handy to dispense with. YMMV
        Eat like a Beast, feel like a Beast!
        Eat from a huge bag of processed junk... Well... You know.

Comment

We have already gotten rid of everything else! And what to do when you suddenly have a gardening question?!
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I would be more productive without Internet, but at the same time I rely on it a lot too. I can use it on my phone, but I don't pay enough for my phone to get much at all (so I tend to go over or just to the edge of my limit each month). I also find that phone Internet isn't nearly as convenient!

I could do without TV much more easily, but as TV's free and everyone else watches it there's not much point in trying to get rid of it (don't have pay TV and never will).

At the same time, I can definitely see a benefit to reducing my home internet usage. I could switch off my computer wireless for X number of hours a day, and if I really need to look something up I could use the phone. Then I could reconnect the computer once I'd done whatever I needed to get done!

And yes, I lived entirely without Internet for the first 22 years of my life, and for several years after that Internet was only something I had at university or work, not home. When I first got home internet it was dial up, so I wasn't connected 24/7 either... I can't remember when we first got ADSL internet and started having access to it all the time, but it was probably less than 10 years ago (if not by much). It's funny how fast we adapt to new technology, and it becomes hard to imagine living without it!

Geez I've only had a smart phone probably 10 months and I just can't believe how long I survived without it, now it's attached to me like an extra appendage!

Comment

It might be a few weeks before people without internet stand from their rice paper mats, pack their belongings into their tan-hide bags and make the arduous trek down the mountain to town and visit the library to post on this thread...
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Well, we did have no internet for over a month. We survived it rather well. I just used the computer at work off the clock to pay bills and check Facebook. Still, it's nice to have it at home, especially now that I don't work. As Knifegill said, we've gotten rid of everything else: no tv, no cellphones, and our internet is satellite and slows down (to dial-up speeds) after we use up our 5,000 mb/month (to get more, we have to pay, and we don't do that!). Having limited internet really does help with productivity--it really makes you consider whether or not that youtube video someone linked to is worth watching and using up that precious internet...

Comment

The internet is a great time filler. You might be bored till you adjust and take up more hobbies
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                    The internet is a great mind killer. You might be bored till you adjust and take up more hobbies
                    I must not surf the internets. The Internets is the mind killer.
                    The internets is the little-death that brings total obliteration!
                    I will face the internets.
                    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
                    And when it has gone I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
                    Where the internets had gone there will be nothing.
                    Only I will remain.
                    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Well, I moved to a bigger home last christmas and due to some mistakes we didn't have tv or internet for a month. I'll tell you it's good for many things, your relationship (you find yourself in bed early or even spend time really talking), it helps doing things around the house, it helps you getting through your stock of unread books but it bloody boring!!!!!

We were lucky enough to have an old radio that still worked or we would have been cut off from the world completely.

I know I spend too much time on the sofa interneting and watching telly but what would I do with out it. there are only so many times you can clean the house or read a book...
                      My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Sometiles I thing of getting rid of internet when my student children will leave home. I already don't have a TV.
                        But I think it might be too extreme as well. The best is to have a strong discipline about it, like just once a day for a short time.
                        I try to do that anyway but I am not there by now !
                        There is a ood book about it by Susan Maushart : the winter of our disconnest. Quite interesting aven if I don't agree with everything she writes.

Comment

Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
                          Well, I moved to a bigger home last christmas and due to some mistakes we didn't have tv or internet for a month. I'll tell you it's good for many things, your relationship (you find yourself in bed early or even spend time really talking), it helps doing things around the house, it helps you getting through your stock of unread books but it bloody boring!!!!!

We were lucky enough to have an old radio that still worked or we would have been cut off from the world completely.

I know I spend too much time on the sofa interneting and watching telly but what would I do with out it. there are only so many times you can clean the house or read a book...
                          That's what happened to us. Comcast said they had coverage in our area... only to tell us later that they didn't. So, we were without internet or phone for over a month. I listened to a lot of NPR and got a lot done around the house, which was really good, because there was a lot to get done with our new house. It was a really nice month, though inconvenient, and it really made me realize how much better life is without internet! I make a conscious effort now to turn the thing OFF.

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                            I must not surf the internets. The Internets is the mind killer.
                            The internets is the little-death that brings total obliteration!
                            I will face the internets.
                            I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
                            And when it has gone I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
                            Where the internets had gone there will be nothing.
                            Only I will remain.
                            ...that should have been time filler not mind killer. I don't even know how that happened. I blame Swype
                            beautiful
                            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                            lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                              ...that should have been time filler not mind killer. I don't even know how that happened. I blame Swype
                              Lol you had it right, i fixed it for ya when I quoted you

Thought you might have got the movie reference... Oh well, back to my corner now :screwy:
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                              X