Pretty soon, your stevia could be corn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty soon, your stevia could be corn

So, apparently Cargill is developing a process to produce stevia from corn - the stevia leaf being superfluous.

New Method Of Producing Stevia May Challenge The Entire $10 Billion Sugar Substitute Market : Article

This is such a waste. Clearly corn can be made into anything so they should work on turning corn into gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Kegas76 View Post
      This is such a waste. Clearly corn can be made into anything so they should work on turning corn into gold.
      Lol, I 2nd that idea *nodnod*
      DD born August 2012
      TTC #2
      SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
      CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
      Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
      Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

That's actually a very interesting article you've linked to.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Thanks for posting that. Even though just reading the title made my hair stand on end and I yelled the MF word at my computer screen. Knowledge is power.

I could probably be used to coffee with no sweetener in 10 days. And go back to something "real" for the only other thing I use sweetener for which is curry dishes.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Yeah, this article made me think that even the 'real' real stevia is inferior to honey when you have to have to add sweetener.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

god forbid people just grow the stevia plant to make stevia sweetener and leave the corn to cows and bbqs
              beautiful
              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                Yeah, this article made me think that even the 'real' real stevia is inferior to honey when you have to have to add sweetener.
                That's because Honey has a nutrient profile and Stevia doesn't....

Comment

BINGO. I have some in my backyard herb box.
                  Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
                  Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
                  Current weight: 210.8 lbs
                  Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
                  ChooseMyPlate

Comment

I actually grew a stevia plant this year, but I have no idea what to do with it. Ideas?
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Dry the leaves, put them in a jar of vodka for 24-36 hours and make stevia extract
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

I actually grew a stevia plant this year, but I have no idea what to do with it. Ideas?
                        I had one once and put the leaves in iced tea - like mint! But I decided actual mint was better. (In case it wasn't clear, the stevia didn't taste like mint just a little sweet leaf).

Comment

I think I should buy some stock in Cargill.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

You can make your own stevia extract. There are instructions online.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                              Dry the leaves, put them in a jar of vodka for 24-36 hours and make stevia extract
                              This is good cause then when people ask why you are putting vodka in your coffee you can just say it's homemade stevia.

Comment

Working...
                              X