help me quit smoking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me quit smoking

I had so many "last" cigarettes the past 2 weeks... I'm in an isolated living situation right now where there's no one for me to be accountable to except myself, and my will isn't so strong. I figure it's better to be accountable to a forum of strangers than no one at all. So please help me quit by holding me to my word. I'm smoking my last one right now, I swear... I'll post again in an hour if I have managed to stay smoke-free until then, thanks.

Good luck.

Also, if you don't buy cigarettes you can't smoke cigarettes.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

This is extremely high on my to-do list before the year is over. I quit last year for about six months and felt fantastic. Did a lot of hiking and walking when I was craving, didn't put on any weight and just felt overall great. I was half way to pick up a packet after running out, then suddenly decided to just turn around and go home, and that was that.

All the best to you. It gets easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
        Good luck.

Also, if you don't buy cigarettes you can't smoke cigarettes.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
        Yes that's very true.. I need to alter my daily walk so it doesn't go by the gas station.

Originally posted by andreoilin View Post
        This is extremely high on my to-do list before the year is over. I quit last year for about six months and felt fantastic. Did a lot of hiking and walking when I was craving, didn't put on any weight and just felt overall great. I was half way to pick up a packet after running out, then suddenly decided to just turn around and go home, and that was that.

All the best to you. It gets easier.
        It's been 15 minutes and I'm craving already. How did you start smoking again? -just curious

Comment

I quit earlier this year and gained 35lbs in a matter of months, I am now on my last pack and am getting back into primal. I would love to have a quitting buddy because I don't have anyone to hold me accountable either. When I quit I just did cold turkey, I'm an all or nothing kind of gal and was unable to truly quit while using e cigs(my first attempt was to wean). This time around I am going to use(starting tomorrow) a cleans to rid my body of the toxins I have accumulated while smoking. I always quit for 6-9 months and then get extremely stressed and start up again, I can't let that happen this time.

Comment

Originally posted by ASA View Post
            I quit earlier this year and gained 35lbs in a matter of months, I am now on my last pack and am getting back into primal. I would love to have a quitting buddy because I don't have anyone to hold me accountable either. When I quit I just did cold turkey, I'm an all or nothing kind of gal and was unable to truly quit while using e cigs(my first attempt was to wean). This time around I am going to use(starting tomorrow) a cleans to rid my body of the toxins I have accumulated while smoking. I always quit for 6-9 months and then get extremely stressed and start up again, I can't let that happen this time.
            Let's be quitting buddies. I tried e-cigs but found I still craved the throat burn from regular cigs. At the start of the year I quit for 3 months but ran into a buddy who offered me a cig and got me started again. I remember that first cigarette after 3 months tasted awful, but the buzz was great and I instantly felt this inner peace that got me hooked again. It's now been an hour since my cigarette. I threw the rest of the pack in the trash and am pretty tempted to dig it out. But trying to stay strong.

Comment

How many do you smoke a day?

Comment

just take it one hour at the time for now... and reward yourself at the end of the day when you kept it smoking free.
                Treat yourself on something special after a week of staying smoke free (like a massage, sauna, something you really like to do)..

My mom does it by saving up the money she saves from not buying the sigarettes. she uses the money at the end of the year for either a holiday or to buy something she really wants..
                My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                  How many do you smoke a day?
                  Half pack a day.

Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
                  just take it one hour at the time for now... and reward yourself at the end of the day when you kept it smoking free.
                  Treat yourself on something special after a week of staying smoke free (like a massage, sauna, something you really like to do)..

My mom does it by saving up the money she saves from not buying the sigarettes. she uses the money at the end of the year for either a holiday or to buy something she really wants..
                  Yeah it's a lot of money saved. I read somewhere you can lease a car for the amount of money spent on a pack a day. But my end of the year treat will be paying off a bit more of my student loans. 4 hours now, so far so good. I threw out the trash and my lighter with it.

Comment

I ended up starting again due to nerves over a few things going on in my life at the time. Things felt a little out of control so I found myself sneaking one here and there and then my willpower gradually waned and the rest is history.

That being said, I learned a good lesson from it. It was my first time quitting and I know what to expect this time around, how I failed, and how to not fail again.

What helped most for me was replacing the cravings with something physical; I spent the entire first two weeks flipping a room in our house from a bedroom into a painting studio / indoor plant room and I think having that to focus on helped significantly. Other than that I replaced cravings with walking my dog around the block, playing the fiddle, and whittling. After meals was always hard so I would immediately do the washing and tidying up. Driving was probably the hardest. Morning coffee, easy peasy. It's different for everyone.

Hope it's going well over there for you. In about a week's time, I felt like a new person already. There's so many good things to look forward to when kicking the habit.

Comment

Quit on my youngest son's bday 14 months ago (July 19, 2012) for the umpteenth and last time. After about 40 years mostly smoking (quit several times), I know I'm one ciggie away from a pack a day, as they say. This was the most difficult by far of any time I had quit. I will share my method here, which worked for me and then one of my oldest friends, but it is just *one* method. Any healthy way that works for you is right... but the bottom line is, YOU CAN DO THIS.

> Purchased from Target the clear Nicotine Step 1 Patch 14-pk, 21mg. It has to be the clear plastic ones, not the padded bandaide-like Nicoderms.

The way I did it, which is not the prescribed method and probably not the best way but it worked for me:
                      - I started out upside down. Instead of going cold turkey with a 21mg patch, I cut one into 4ths and put them on in the morning for the first four days and cut down on ciggies that way. Do the cut perpendicular to the tab you use to remove the backing.
                      o Then I did halfs and cut cigs down further, to maybe two or three a day.
                      o If this method appeals to you, you can do any variation you want but make progress and set targets you can meet. Take as long as you need to get to the next step (not more than you need) but you want measurable progress. I kept a log.

- When I was ready, I did a full patch and threw away the rest of my cigarettes.
                      o Make sure you have none around in pockets or anywhere you might rummage around to find a loose one: at this point you do not want to have a single solitary “just-one-won’t-matter” smoke, this is the big QUIT

- On the backside, after the Quit, I gradually cut down the size of the 21’s almost every day – I used the previous day’s leftover cutting to get a sense of how much to lop off the next day. It’s not a science but I wanted to make perceptible progress over the course of a week.
                      - Eventually, I used those leftovers as I got to the other side of 50% of a patch or I would use a few small ones at a time if necessary.
                      - I tried to remember to take off the patch when I went to bed… otherwise I would wake up in the middle of the night from some wild, vivid dream.

Comment

Thanks for the support and advice guys. I made it through this morning with a cup of coffee only.

Comment

My mother-in-law recently quit. She's over a month now without cigarettes. I don't know how much she smoked every day, but she's in her 50's and has been smoking since her teens. Everyone is really proud of her.

She said the hardest thing is dealing with mealtimes, since she used to always smoke after a meal. What helped her was to stop eating a little sooner, to avoid overeating to compensate, and to have something hot to drink. If you have any kind of rituals associated with smoking times, I wonder if replacing it with some kind of healthy or innocuous alternative might be helpful.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

Good luck to you. You're making a very wise choice. I am 8 years quit from a 30 cigarette a day habit. That was 30 a day, every day, no matter what the day.

What I did:

I made the last day as unpleasant as possible. Bought a carton, stayed up until midnight, chain smoking all day. I just couldn't do another one after 11:00pm. Before midnight I cut what was left up and smashed all my lighters with a hammer. I took the next week off from work. I kept my self busy with mindless things. First four days I cleaned house and everything. I cleaned every waking moment. After those first days I read blog posts from people who had since passed on after dying from cancer and looked at pictures of diseased lungs. I did what I had to the first two weeks because after that I knew it was mental, that the nicotine I wanted was out of my body. I timed my cravings so I knew how long they usually lasted once they started and I was determined to outlast them. I calculated how many I smoked a year. 30x365. I then estimated that even if a cigarette break lasted just 2-minutes, how much time in my life was wasted doing something so destructive to myself at such a high, monetary cost to my family.

Quit. Pick the day and just quit. No one else buys them for you and no one else puts them into your mouth.

Comment

If you are still having trouble consider an ecig. I smoked for 27 years and tried every method even chantix (made me crazy). It took me a month of concurrent use of cig/ecig to quit tobacco. Many people report quiting on first use of ecig. find support at E-Cigarette Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X