No announcement yet.

making it work in daily life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First thing I did was throw out the idea that there are "breakfast" foods and other foods. It's all dinner food all the time for me. This means if I make extra at dinner time the leftovers can be my breakfast and/or my lunch the next day. Every week I bake a whole bunch of chicken breasts or fish fillets and keep them on hand for breakfast and lunch. I keep potatoes around to nuke in the microwave or salad fixings already chopped up and ready to go. The primal egg coffee makes a great small breakfast. I just do 3 egg yolks and coffee in the blender and forget all the other ingredients Mark recommends.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

When I eat breakfast it's usually a cheese stick and coffee or tea. That keeps me pretty full till lunch. Otherwise I might make bacon or sausage for the week and have a little each day but I find those do better as a side to eggs (which you can make quicker than cereal almost I just don't like to clean the pans). Otherwise I can eat a ton of sausage before I get full. But I don't do that most weeks.

For dinner, leftovers. Pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        First thing I did was throw out the idea that there are "breakfast" foods and other foods. It's all dinner food all the time for me. This means if I make extra at dinner time the leftovers can be my breakfast and/or my lunch the next day. Every week I bake a whole bunch of chicken breasts or fish fillets and keep them on hand for breakfast and lunch. I keep potatoes around to nuke in the microwave or salad fixings already chopped up and ready to go. The primal egg coffee makes a great small breakfast. I just do 3 egg yolks and coffee in the blender and forget all the other ingredients Mark recommends.
        I was going to say, with time you'll get past the idea of "breakfast, lunch, dinner" and it will just be "food." Ironically, conventional breakfast looks less like food than any other meal. So coming up with paleo-fied versions of conventional breakfast food is a waste of time. Just eat more of the same as what you'd eat at a later meal, or skip the early morning meal altogether.

Some variation of Garbage Stir Fry is easy to make a large batch, and makes fantastic leftovers.
        Sandra
        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Well, frying eggs in the morning never takes very long. I work from home, mostly, so I can usually just make up some lunch... however, when I go into the office I just hack up veggies, toss them in a BIG tupperware container and top with a can of tinned salmon. Then I make some dressing with olive oil, balsamic and umeboshi paste in a seperate container. Take it to work with two tins of oysters and some dark chocolate. Noms for the day.
          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Kris T View Post
            It gets easier with practice.
            This is *so* true. As you try different things out, you will find things you like, that you don't mind preparing, that easily give you a meal or two of leftovers and over time you will settle into a routine that feels easy to you. If you have days or weeks where you settle for things that you don't feel great about, don't worry, you'll get better at getting it together to cook the good stuff.

I used to think it was impossible to cook dinner during the week and now I manage at least 3 nights most weeks. I'm not sure how my days expanded to make the time, but they did. Chopping veggies is the most time consuming thing I do. I'm getting much better at doing that, either on the fly or in advance.
            50yo, 5'3"
            SW-195
            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
              dressing with olive oil, balsamic and umeboshi paste
              Mmm, that sounds intriguing. What does umeboshi paste taste like?
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Whenever I find myself in a pinch without a better solution I look for a real Mexican restaurant or a Chipotle. They are both paleo friendly-ish fast food options. I also order pre-made paleo meals every other week from Pete's Paleo. He's local for me but he just started shipping nationwide.

Comment

First thing I did was throw out the idea that there are "breakfast" foods and other foods. It's all dinner food all the time for me.
                  How on earth did you get your stomach to cooperate? Mine is still grumpy from eating 4 banana's in a week on the early morning. I tried to eat an omelet I made yesterday for breakfast this morning but I couldn't finish it
                  My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Basically, you adapt.

Eat as much omelette as you want. It might not be much, but it might be enough for your medication, and you can eat more later.

Comment

I have bacon and tomato, with bits of salad stuff for breakfast.. I get up early to cook breakfast for 3 adults (inc me) and 2 kids who all eat eggs, bacon, and tinned beans no bread for kids .. I had to start my day earlier because of going primal.. Now I just go to bed earlier - most of the time..

Dinner I make stews - cook in oven for 2-3 hours or in crock pot.. Or just meat and veg/ salad - a chicken cooks in an hour .. Put it in the oven when u get up and cooked before you know it.

The breakfast frittata are great eggs veg etc in a muffin tin - can be frozen - reheat - yummy and is a small portion.. Or if u can't eat that early put in your bag and eat it once at work?

Comment

Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
                        Paleodutch, where do you buy coconut flour? I thought I had the right thing but it appears it were just very fine flakes...
                        Biologische/natuurvoeding winkel or Toko. In the Hague there is a store called ekoplaza that might have it or estafette (www.estafette.nl).

Just found a Dutch paleo website www.paleo.nl with some advise on where to purchase food and recipes.

Comment

We had an Estafette just around the corner but it closed last week... so annoying... however I know there is one in Delft...
                          I'll try to find Ekoplaza....

Have you ever been to Marqt in the city? I was wondering if that was worth visiting.
                          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

I cook all meals and pack lunches for 3 people. I just think about it as blocks. Protein item, vegetables, fruit. For myself, I bring a carton of eggs and egg whites and a few cans of sardines in the office every week, then bring in veggies daily & build my meals from that. We have a freezer, which we load with a cow and a pig in the fall, and a lamb in the spring, some intermittent chickens, turkeys, salmon in season. I stay on top of thowing meats. When I don't have time to cook supper, I throw a pound of shrimp into hot water. I buy a pack of clean hot dogs just in case. And make lots of big pot soups or slow cooker stews. ground meats make quick meatzas and meatballs/burgeres. Local fresh sausages are handy sometimes. Roasting a whole chicken or fish is quick too.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Mmm, that sounds intriguing. What does umeboshi paste taste like?
                              Salty and it acts like a thickener. Works just as well as mustard but without the mustard flavor. Sometimes I use mustard, sometimes umeboshi.
                              Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
                                We had an Estafette just around the corner but it closed last week... so annoying... however I know there is one in Delft...
                                I'll try to find Ekoplaza....

Have you ever been to Marqt in the city? I was wondering if that was worth visiting.
                                I live in Ede, so I don't know how the market in the Hague is

Comment

Working...
                                X