Ketosis and nitrile gloves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketosis and nitrile gloves

Ketones are supposed to dissolve nitrile compounds...trying to find out if the products are dangerous or not...

hydrolysis of nitriles

Carboxylic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any chemists can help? This is mostly gibberish to my little mind...
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Just don't lick them or pee on them. I don't think ketones are coming out of your skin, but acetone is going to be in your urine and saliva.

M.

Comment

Ketones I think do leave the skin. Am I wrong?
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I'm rather under the impression they're taken up by muscle and brain tissue, and only waste products (acetone, probably other junk) go out the way typical waste products do. Which, I guess, might include sweat.

That said, at a good enough concentration to harm gloves, that much acetone would leave you dead. I used to do HVAC stuff and man, let me tell you, acetone -eats- gloves.

M.

Comment

Yes, that's why I had to reach into my buckets with bare skin at the paint shop.

I just noticed that my nitrile gloves seem to break down faster when I'm in ketosis, and I wondered if the byproducts of that breakdown could affect me...
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

So I can't figure out how nitriles would react with ketones right now. My o-chem is rusty, and that's disturbing to me. (Seems like something I should be able to figure out just by looking at it...Thanks for making me feel bad about my Alzheimer's. Must be all that fruit I'm eating. )

When I worked in a lab I sometimes would forget and get acetone all over my nitrile gloves. The reaction is endothermic--it gets really cold. To avoid this, I'd put on a pair of latex gloves over my nitrile gloves. You can do the reverse. Put on a pair of latex gloves underneath your nitrile gloves. Unless you're allergic to latex...in which case, I don't know what to tell you.

My journal

Comment

Working...
            X