Thinking of buying a mini-freezer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a mini-freezer

You know how they have mini-fridges, I was thinking what I could really use is a mini-freezer. The freezer in our fridge simply doesn't hold enough stuff, plus it is just a big box with one small shelf so you basically open the door and a whole bunch of hard-as-a-rock crap falls on your foot.

Does anybody have a mini-freezer? Are they energy hogs? Are they a mess (leaking water everywhere or anything like that)? Anything else I should know?
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

I have a mini freezer and I love it. Bought it about 8 years ago when I was living in a super tiny apartment where the fridge had no freezer compartment at all. Got it at Costco, it's 5.5 cu ft, it has never leaked, easy to defrost and clean, it doesn't seem to suck up a lot of power, it's quiet. It's pretty great.

Comment

I just bought one the other day. 7 cubic ft GE. $229 at home depot. seems nice so far.

Comment

How big are those? Are they like around 4ft tall or so? I'm trying to picture how big is big enough.

Comment

I have a small chest freezer, perhaps 3' tall x 3' wide x 1.5' wide the other way. Oh, and a stand up full sized freezer. Oh, and the left side of my fridge/freezer. All full. I am beginning to think I am ripe for an intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            How big are those? Are they like around 4ft tall or so? I'm trying to picture how big is big enough.
            GE 7.0 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White-FCM7SUWW at The Home Depot

Comment

Oh wow, that's really big.

Comment

My 5.5 is approx. 2.5' tall, 2.5' across, and 22" front to back.

Comment

It's a Danby, btw.

Comment

The little 5.5 actually hold a lot. The 7 cf was too big for me. I keep mine out on my deck. Costco had the 7 cf for $176. I forget what the brand is.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

A 7 cu ft chest freezer is going to take up some space, but it's worth the sacrifice. Tiny ones aren't worth it.

I used to have a huge chest freezer way back when I was married. I ended up with an upright that's about 12 cu ft, and am thinking about getting a chest freezer to make it possible to buy more beef.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        Oh wow, that's really big.
                        heh heh...that's what she said. zing!

honestly, it doesn't take up that much room. and when I compared it to the 5 cu ft one, it was only slightly bigger. they are the same exact height and depth, and the 7 cu ft one is 9 inches wider. that's it. so for the extra $40 and only 9" width, it was definitely worth it

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                          The little 5.5 actually hold a lot. The 7 cf was too big for me. I keep mine out on my deck. Costco had the 7 cf for $176. I forget what the brand is.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
                          Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                          heh heh...that's what she said. zing!

honestly, it doesn't take up that much room. and when I compared it to the 5 cu ft one, it was only slightly bigger. they are the same exact height and depth, and the 7 cu ft one is 9 inches wider. that's it. so for the extra $40 and only 9" width, it was definitely worth it
                          I guess I will have to go take a look. I want to put my dehydrated backpacking food (protect it from bugs) in it so maybe a small one is big enough. But if I had a bigger one, maybe I could buy part of a cow. I didn't even know they made these mini freezers until recently.

Comment

I have a chest freezer and absolutely LOVE it. I don't know what I ever did without it. The extra storage allows me to buy 1/2 hog or 1/4 cow at a time. Also, a chest freezer does not have a defrost cycle like the freezer in a standard fridge. This means WAY less freezerburn on your food. The ice does build up on the sides, but personally I would much prefer to chip ice off once a year than to have my meat get freezerburned.

Comment

Working...
                            X