Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad for you are topical antiobiotics (like zineryt)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad for you are topical antiobiotics (like zineryt)?

I'm trying to improve my gut flora by introducing fermented foods. My skin has lately been bad--blotchy and inflamed, not horrific but enough to interfere with my professional and social life--and I want to go the route of healing from the inside with a gut-healing protocol and fermented foods.

I haven't much experience with topical acne stuff--the over the counter stuff doesn't do anything, the acne.org regimen is too harsh (my skin's sensitive and turns very red), but zinert (a topical antibiotic with zinc) seems to work very well, albeit temporarily.

Would I be sabotaging myself by using zinert? The plan would be to use it until I'm over the hump of integrating fermented foods into my diet for a few months, and hopefully that's the last missing piece in the puzzle and resolves my issues. By the time I go off the zinert, it'll have helped me over the hump of the initial worsening of symptoms which fermented foods usually cause, and so I won't need the zinert any more.

Hopefully that makes sense, the syntax is strangled and I'm very tired. Thank you for any input.

I don't really know how skin health links to gut health. I don't think anybody really does. But it seems counterproductive to try to heal yourself from the inside out while attacking the outside, so to speak.

Does coconut oil help? It's an antifungal so I wonder if it might help in the same way that the antibiotic does, but without as harsh of an effect.
    Depression Lies

Comment

Hey namelesswonder, coconut oil unfortunately is fairly comodogenic; it blocks pores. It seems to be magic for everything else, just not as a topical.

I'm just looking for something to tide me through while I start a strict regimen of paleo + fermented foods

Comment

Is that based on personal experience? I only ask because it's commonly recommended for skin & haircare in "natural cleaning" communities. I find that, applied thinly, it absorbs very well and makes a great moisturizer. I used it on my tattoo for a little while when it was healing, but stopped when I applied it too heavily & kept getting oil on my shirts at work =P. Easier to control with a bit of unscented lotion...
        Depression Lies

Comment

Are you sure it is acne and not another condition like rosacea that would suggest a different treatment?
          “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
          Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

7 Natural Remedies for Eczema - Wellness Mama
            Addresses eczema in particular, but thought it might be useful.
            Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
              Are you sure it is acne and not another condition like rosacea that would suggest a different treatment?
              There might be some of that, though relatively mild. My skin is sort of blotchy, rather than having large, isolated zits. Would the treatment be much different?

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                7 Natural Remedies for Eczema - Wellness Mama
                Addresses eczema in particular, but thought it might be useful.
                Thank you for the link, I'll give that a read later tonight :-)

Comment

Yes, the treatment would be VERY different for all of these conditions. I would suggest seeing a dermatologist and finding out what the diagnosis is, then go from there.
                  “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                  Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Very different, really? I'd imagine the cause is largely connected to gut health, a la Chris Kresser's ideas. Derms haven't been very helpful.

Comment

My next door neighbor had pretty great skin-clearing results by using manuka honey. It's made in NZ. Lots about it online. All of her acne and the scars disappeared. It did take two weeks or so for her to start seeing results. She applied a thin coat every night, left it on for half an hour or so, rinsed it off, and went to bed with nothing on her skin (no lotions or oils).

I have a jar and love it. It makes my skin look completely amazing (acne is not an issue for me). It seems incredibly healing. It's bio-active. It's expensive. It's antifungal and antibacterial supposedly. The higher the "active number" is, the more it is supposedly healing and medicinal. Mine is +12. My neighbor used +30. I keep my jar in my bedroom....it's just too expensive to put into my tea, although I do feel I'm helping myself by snitching a fingerful since honey is such a superfood

I had tried all 7 of those eczema cures, nameless. None of them worked. Plus bleach (yeah... clorox!), tea tree oil, rose hip oil, garlic juice....yada. The manuka honey worked. It dried out the patch and it didn't come back. It's been about 2 months now and the skin (it was behind my neck) is still totally clear. Fingers crossed......

I promise I'm not a manuka honey shill although I do sound like one ;P
                      be the hair that knots with my hair
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

I bought this product to treat stubborn athlete's foot about a year ago. (Notice how highly rated it is, and by a large number of users.) It worked where drugstore over-the-counter products didn't; I had also tried sun exposure with no success. The key ingredients are tea-tree oil and coconut oil. I don't know why I gave it a try on my face recently. But it does seem to be fighting back the seemingly incurable blackheads and oiliness on my nose. Maybe there was/still is a fungus on the skin there? The backs of my earlobes are also smoother. I am now trying it on my scalp, to see if it can stem the oil there. (I have to shampoo every two days.) Good luck.

Amazon.com: PediFix FungaSoap Cleansing Wash Value Size,13.5 Ounces: Health & Personal Care

Comment

Working...
                        X