No announcement yet.

Motivational Vanity Pics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eKatherine, damn, no excuse for me now. How many pushups can you do? I think my problem is my arms aren't strong enough to hold my body weight. I can do *one* pushup before getting stuck at the bottom and not being able to push back up. I had hoped all the chaturangas in yoga would crossover to pushups, but they don't seem to.

Old School, love the one-armed handstand. How do you make your pictures look so retro? It really increases the impact of the subject matter.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Holy cow, great shots. Handstands are sooo cool. I gave up on achieving one, but i know how hard it is from trying. Go you!!!

I can't see a couple of attached pics, what's up with that?
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
        Idk, I was telling my husband about it and he was saying that I SHOULD be looking at the ground. He used to be a cheerleader so he ought a know. He then proceeded to do a handstand in the middle of our tiny kitchen to show me (yum!). But hey, whatever works. I think as I get stronger and more comfortable I should be able to adjust my gaze and start playing with my legs.
        Yeah, I think once you get used to holding your body like that, you can move your head around more, but you do have to kind of "counteract" the head movement.

You guys are right about practicing being a workout! I tried a handstand in my living room a few nights ago and really felt it in my shoulders. Now I want to spend some time at a park practicing
        Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
          eKatherine, damn, no excuse for me now. How many pushups can you do? I think my problem is my arms aren't strong enough to hold my body weight. I can do *one* pushup before getting stuck at the bottom and not being able to push back up. I had hoped all the chaturangas in yoga would crossover to pushups, but they don't seem to.
          I am not currently working on regular pushups. I do triceps pushups with the elbows tucked. My guess is I could do 25 if I tried. I also do bench press and work on pullups.

I used to do handstands (against the wall, of course) years back, but I never really improved. Then I got some sort of an ultimate handstand course from Gold Medal Bodies for signing up to their mailing list.

You start by facing away from the wall. Put your hands on the floor and walk your feet up the wall, then walk your hands toward the wall until you get as close as you are comfortable doing. You would start with 5 seconds at a time, increasing until you do 5 sets of 5 seconds, coming down in between. Then increase the length of time until you reach one 60 second set.

The best form is using what they call the "hollow body position". I can't find the video, but that's where you have no arch and your head is facing the wall.

Then you would do the "kick up into a handstand". The goal again is 60 seconds.

Then finally you would do facing the wall again, but this time bend 90 degrees at the hips, so your torso is entirely upright and your legs parallel to the floor. Maybe the video is still available.

And there are other things you can do, like handstand pushups, side-walking, forward walking, and pirouettes. Of course the ultimate goal is freestanding handstands. Lots of tutorials on youtube for this stuff.

Comment

for handstands, jim over at Bodyweight Strength Training Beast Skills has great tutorials. hell, he has great tutorials for a lot of stuff

Comment

It's impossible for me to take a good picture of my ass at home due to the lack of a proper full-length mirror. Also, the camera on my phone sucks. I'm way overdue for a new phone.

My journal

Comment

Still, we get the picture

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  The best form is using what they call the "hollow body position". I can't find the video, but that's where you have no arch and your head is facing the wall.
                  I recently found this video describing how to do a hollow body position. It's looks like a great exercise to help build those ancillary core muscles used in a handstand and other body weight exercises.

Comment

My yoga teacher gave me some tips a while back too to develop core strength for the slow pull up into a handstand from say, downward dog. Lay on your back with your legs straight up in the air, 90 degrees and feet flexed. Have someone stand near your feet and resist you/push down as you press your feet into their hands. Then you can really feel where the strength needs to come from deep in your belly (bandas in yoga speak)

Comment

Di, where exactly are you supposed to lose fat from - your brain?! Your ass looking great! You don't look like you need to lose any weight.

Oh, and to all the men in the thread: I know I may have said some things in the past, but if any of you are ever in London, Europe...
                      Last edited by YogaBare; 08-30-2013, 07:33 AM.
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                        Di, where exactly are you supposed to lose fat from - your brain?! Your ass looking great! You don't look like you need to lose any weight.
                        Word

Comment

I like this thread. Thank you moluv for starting it!
                          ------
                          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
                            My yoga teacher gave me some tips a while back too to develop core strength for the slow pull up into a handstand from say, downward dog. Lay on your back with your legs straight up in the air, 90 degrees and feet flexed. Have someone stand near your feet and resist you/push down as you press your feet into their hands. Then you can really feel where the strength needs to come from deep in your belly (bandas in yoga speak)
                            Cool, I'm going to try this. I'm too scared to swing my legs up into a handstand so I think the only way I could ever get into one is if I can somehow do it in a controlled way, the way yoga practitioners do it.

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                            Uh, that's cuz you can't see the front of my body. That's where my belly (and my fat) is located. I look several months pregnant, which is very unfortunate for someone who's never even been pregnant. And it's not bloat either. It's fat.

My journal

Comment

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1377875664.231000.jpg
                              42 year old mama to two. Work in progress
                              Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

That reminds me of my mom. Whenever she was making clothes, she would always say that 'it looks really great from the back'. Belly fat is really weird & it tends to become noticeable when it is on its worst behavior, with bloat added. I am sure you can beat it! One big thing about traditional eating is that it seemed to be super-successful in reducing belly fat. I just got e-mail from mom, asking if she could get any of my pants while visiting later in the month. And my mom always had that stick-thin limbs and large middle look. PHD is the first thing when she is losing belly fat (and like crazy) without going skeletal all over.

Comment

Working...
                                X