Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Depressed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Casey View Post
    My brain isn't able to use the dopamine/serotonin that my body produces, so I am on Wellbutrin. It has been an absolute LIFESAVER for me. I borked my receptors using crystal meth, and then menopause almost killed me dead. I walk 5 miles every day (not a stroll, I get. it. done.) and that helps me PRODUCE the good chemicals, and then the Wellbutrin helps my brain receptors actually USE those chemicals.

    Some people may not respond to some chemicals the way some other people respond to chemicals. It depends on a person's unique chemical soup and history. In other words, 'your mileage may vary'.

    A blanket statement calling for abandonment of all SSRI meds is irresponsible. And sounds like it came from the Tom Cruise School Of Quackery.

    HOWEVER, Jena, if it made YOU worse I totally support your decision to seek other means of relief from your symptoms. You completely have my sympathy, I know how debilitation anxiety and depression can be.
    No... I agree, I know it works for some people, but I have had the same doctor for 17 years. I am so glad you had a good experience with it. I felt nothing for the first week, great for two days, but then all hell broke loose. For certain reasons I can't switch doctors for a few more months and I have a new one in mind that I think would be great for me. One of my best friends is a pharmacist and she told me my doc is the biggest pill pusher in town and to be careful of meds she gave me. I just wish I would've heeded her warning. I felt so bad that had I been able to drive I would've gone to the ER. My hands were cramping up and my jaw locked up... weird jerking motions... I thought I was having a seizure. But I think I was just that freaked out and tense. Of course I have never had a seizure or seen anyone have one, so I don't really know, but it was bad. I definitely would never say people should abandon all SSRIs. Thanks for the positive words. And lol @ "Tom Cruise School of Quackery"!

    Comment


    • #92
      Oh Jena! That sounds freaking awful. I HATE doctors - they only want to give you a pill, not get to the bottom of the problem.

      (It wasn't you that recommended all people abandon SSRIs, that part wasn't to you, sorry sorry sorry)

      I feel like we have to earn a medical degree from the University of Google to manage our own health, these days. I go into doc appointments with print outs and notes and a binder, and the doc usually just gives me what I've researched because it's easier not to argue with me, lol. You sound like you're going through hell trying to find what works for you - I wish you so much success. I never thought I would find a way out of my depression. I never thought I'd live this long, ack-shoo-lee. Keep trying, is the only thing I can say. Keep reading, researching, asking. You'll find it. YOU WILL.
      I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. ~P. G. Wodehouse

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Casey View Post
        Oh Jena! That sounds freaking awful. I HATE doctors - they only want to give you a pill, not get to the bottom of the problem.

        (It wasn't you that recommended all people abandon SSRIs, that part wasn't to you, sorry sorry sorry)

        I feel like we have to earn a medical degree from the University of Google to manage our own health, these days. I go into doc appointments with print outs and notes and a binder, and the doc usually just gives me what I've researched because it's easier not to argue with me, lol. You sound like you're going through hell trying to find what works for you - I wish you so much success. I never thought I would find a way out of my depression. I never thought I'd live this long, ack-shoo-lee. Keep trying, is the only thing I can say. Keep reading, researching, asking. You'll find it. YOU WILL.
        Yes... I have always believed that we should take charge of our own health... just need the doctors to order the labs and write any necessary prescriptions. I do need to get to a psychiatrist as soon as I can, but until then I have to get through. Work was great today. I got anxious so I popped a Xanax and the rest of the day I felt totally normal, not nervous, but not all zonked out either. I can't get a script for Xanax because I drive on a restricted license at the moment. I got a DUI like 8.5 years ago and just never went to get my license back. I did last year... I had to go through a hearing and prove I was sober, get witness letters, be evaluated by a counselor, and take a 10 panel urine drug screen. And most ridiculously get a letter from my doctor stating that not been prescribed any benzodiazepines or narcotics of any kind in at least a year. And now I have to do it all over again to get my full license back. I can get Xanax without a script, no problem, but I can't pass a drug test without doing some risky stuff. I've tried a lot of crap and the only thing that works for me has been Zoloft with a benzo for acute panic attacks. So I just need to find a way to pass the drug test, get all the other stuff and I can then legally get my Xanax from a doctor. I feel like a dirty criminal for what I'm doing, and it is my fault because I drove slightly over the legal alcohol limit almost a decade ago! I was a baby then. I'm not even the same person.

        I definitely didn't take any offense to that... I've seen so out of it I though I may have said it, lol.

        Comment


        • #94
          It makes complete sense you weren't eager to go back to the current Dr. and demand an appt. -- you are just trying to make it a few months to go to the better clinic!

          You sounded so stressed and here you are, sounding much clearer. I really wish you the best; I've never taken Wellbutrin & am glad those who have can gave feedback.

          “you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

          Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Casey View Post
            A blanket statement calling for abandonment of all SSRI meds is irresponsible. And sounds like it came from the Tom Cruise School Of Quackery.
            I'm not sure if this was directed at me (paranoia is the sister to depression ) but I just want to clarify that I wasn't suggesting SSRIs are abandoned: I was just saying that there are many hormonal reasons people get depressed - it's not just about dopamine or serotonin, and doctors should test people before they medicate them.

            Jena, hope you're doing better! Have you given any more thought to getting your bloods done? Also, I don't recommend taking melatonin for sleep. I used to take it and I've subsequently read a lot of negative research about it.

            Also, I went through post traumatic stress as well - I had chronic insomnia with intense nightmares for eight years. The nightmares have pretty much stopped in the last few months, but my sleep still isn't right. So I know how you feel on that front! It's no picnic.

            There's a book that I have on PDF which I can send to you if you like; it's about how when animals in the wild go through trauma (near death etc), they go through a process where they "shake out" their anxiety. Whereas as humans we bottle it up. You can read the first chapter online: http://www.traumahealing.com/somatic...ing-tiger.html

            So for anxiety I really recommend a rocking motion, like going on swings, or even rocking yourself gently. It's incredibly soothing. I had a panic attack a few months ago, and randomly got on a swing as it was happening. WIthin a few minutes of swinging I felt calm and more positive. Plus it's fun
            Last edited by YogaBare; 09-13-2013, 11:56 PM.
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

            In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

            - Ray Peat

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
              I'm not sure if this was directed at me (paranoia is the sister to depression ) but I just want to clarify that I wasn't suggesting SSRIs are abandoned: I was just saying that there are many hormonal reasons people get depressed - it's not just about dopamine or serotonin, and doctors should test people before they medicate them.

              Jena, hope you're doing better! Have you given any more thought to getting your bloods done? Also, I don't recommend taking melatonin for sleep. I used to take it and I've subsequently read a lot of negative research about it.

              Also, I went through post traumatic stress as well - I had chronic insomnia with intense nightmares for eight years. The nightmares have pretty much stopped in the last few months, but my sleep still isn't right. So I know how you feel on that front! It's no picnic.

              There's a book that I have on PDF which I can send to you if you like; it's about how when animals in the wild go through trauma (near death etc), they go through a process where they "shake out" their anxiety. Whereas as humans we bottle it up. You can read the first chapter online: Waking the Tiger | Professional Training For Mental Health Professionals & Post Traumatic Stress Disorder | Trauma Therapy Training

              So for anxiety I really recommend a rocking motion, like going on swings, or even rocking yourself gently. It's incredibly soothing. I had a panic attack a few months ago, and randomly got on a swing as it was happening. WIthin a few minutes of swinging I felt calm and more positive. Plus it's fun
              I am planning on having more blood tests (hormones) done. I did have all of my thyroid hormones checked and they are normal, as well as my CMP, CBC, and Lipid profile. I do need to get my testosterone, progesterone, estradiol, PTH, etc... checked. I am not sure when I will get it done, but soon I hope. I have to convince my "doctor" to send a lab order. As long as I have a doctors order all of my testing is free (perk of working at the lab, lol) Now that I think about it I wonder if a pharmacist can order labs? One of my best friends is a pharmacist... I'll have to ask her. Either way I probably won't get anything done until I get some other stuff taken care of. A couple more months and a couple of very big stressors should be eliminated from my life... at least I reeeeally hope so.

              It's funny that you mention the rocking motion... Thursday at work I was still very anxious and was doing this thing at my desk. I was pulling and pushing myself towards and away from the desk in my chair. My coworker just started laughing, then I started laughing when I realized how silly I looked. But it was soothing. For now my short term solution is Xanax. Not too many options at the moment with my current situation, that's why I am really hoping these next few months turn out the way I have been working for Also I will check out the book sample. Thanks!

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Jena View Post
                I am planning on having more blood tests (hormones) done. I did have all of my thyroid hormones checked and they are normal, as well as my CMP, CBC, and Lipid profile. I do need to get my testosterone, progesterone, estradiol, PTH, etc... checked. I am not sure when I will get it done, but soon I hope. I have to convince my "doctor" to send a lab order. As long as I have a doctors order all of my testing is free (perk of working at the lab, lol) Now that I think about it I wonder if a pharmacist can order labs? One of my best friends is a pharmacist... I'll have to ask her. Either way I probably won't get anything done until I get some other stuff taken care of. A couple more months and a couple of very big stressors should be eliminated from my life... at least I reeeeally hope so.

                It's funny that you mention the rocking motion... Thursday at work I was still very anxious and was doing this thing at my desk. I was pulling and pushing myself towards and away from the desk in my chair. My coworker just started laughing, then I started laughing when I realized how silly I looked. But it was soothing. For now my short term solution is Xanax. Not too many options at the moment with my current situation, that's why I am really hoping these next few months turn out the way I have been working for Also I will check out the book sample. Thanks!
                What were your exact thyroid results? Post them if you can! Also, how are your periods?

                If you've ever been to a zoo where the animals are not being kept well, you'll notice that a lot of them display repetitive behaviour, such as swaying their heads from side to side. It's a pattern that repeats amongst living things: repetitive movements are soothing
                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                - Ray Peat

                Comment


                • #98
                  TSH 2.61, T4 Free 1.10, T3 Free 2.37. My periods are regular, not that heavy, not much cramping. They used to be irregular and quite heavy when I was younger, but have improved in my late 20's and 30's.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Jena View Post
                    TSH 2.61, T4 Free 1.10, T3 Free 2.37. My periods are regular, not that heavy, not much cramping. They used to be irregular and quite heavy when I was younger, but have improved in my late 20's and 30's.
                    Okay, well hopefully you dont have any issues with your female sex hormones

                    However, your T3 is on the low end (norm is 2.23), and your TSH is trending towards high (norm is 3, but some experts say it should be below 2 and ideally below 1).

                    I dont know if hypothyroidism would account for the extremity of your symtoms though - it would be good to get a full hormone panel to see what's going on.

                    I'm asking around for some recommendations about what you should get checked, so bear with me

                    Do you know your Vitamin D btw?
                    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-15-2013, 09:30 AM.
                    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                    - Ray Peat

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                      Okay, well hopefully you dont have any issues with your female sex hormones

                      However, your T3 is on the low end (norm is 2.23), and your TSH is trending towards high (norm is 3, but some experts say it should be below 2 and ideally below 1).

                      I dont know if hypothyroidism would account for the extremity of your symtoms though - it would be good to get a full hormone panel to see what's going on.

                      I'm asking around for some recommendations about what you should get checked, so bear with me

                      Do you know your Vitamin D btw?
                      Hmm... I have a slightly different reference range for the thyroid tests, but still within normal for now so I'm not going to worry too much. Never had my vitamin D checked. I never suspected it was low. I usually, less the last couple of weeks, get plenty of sunshine. The only test I am really concerned with getting soon would be my PTH. My doctor doesn't like the fact that I work at the lab now because I can access and interpret my own results... which means I don't have to come in to see her... which means less $$$ for her. So she is hesitant to send in lab orders for me. She was only going to test my tsh... I had to call and ask then to add the ft4 and ft3! I can also probably get my moms chiropractor to give me an order as well if I have to. I appreciate you help!

                      Feeling quite a bit better today, except the cold, got up and made some salsa for my eggs, planning caprese salad and stir fry for dinner later and a walk in a little bit. Finally feeling more like myself.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jena View Post
                        Finally feeling more like myself.
                        That's wonderful news. Be gentle with yourself - we're all cheering for you.
                        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                          That's wonderful news. Be gentle with yourself - we're all cheering for you.
                          Thanks! A Lions loss is not helping me, but I'll get over it . Sending lots of love... and lots of thanks for all the support <3

                          Comment


                          • Jena,

                            I've dealt with similar issues all my life. I've tried multiple SSRIs as long as other classifications of anti-depressants. I've tried anti-psychotics, benzos and stimulants. Sometimes some of them helped a little, maybe, but probably not. If you've been with this doctor for 17 years and you're still having that much trouble, fire her!! Any idiot can increase your dosage and add another pill. That was stoopit.

                            Maybe you need a clean slate. Come off the Zoloft, safely, see how you feel taking nothing. If it's the same, you know the Zoloft isn't helping. I don't know how you can feel much worse... And get a real psychiatrist.

                            Anxiety and depression create horrible feedback loops. You feel bad, you think about how bad you feel, and that makes you feel worse. You picked apples and felt better. You sounded excited about it. Find more things like that. Exercise combined with being outside and being productive is definitely primal, no? I like to cook new things. Food and learning make me happy. Stacking wood makes me happy. Growing food makes me happy. I went shooting this weekend. All of these things occupy my mind and break the feedback loop. And when you wear out your body and keep your mind occupied with good thoughts, sleep comes easier.

                            The best therapist I ever had told me to take a break from thinking about all this serious stuff and go have some fun. I still carry that with me. He wasn't being dismissive. He knew that I, like you, was predisposed to over-thinking and I needed to break the feedback loop. In other words, go outside and play.

                            I know what you mean about marriage and kids and such. One step at a time. Forget about boys right now. I believe you always find good relationships when you stop looking.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Jena View Post
                              Thanks! A Lions loss is not helping me, but I'll get over it . Sending lots of love... and lots of thanks for all the support <3
                              I recommend not tying your mood to the Lions.

                              Maybe the Tigers or Redwings.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Maynard View Post
                                Jena,

                                I've dealt with similar issues all my life. I've tried multiple SSRIs as long as other classifications of anti-depressants. I've tried anti-psychotics, benzos and stimulants. Sometimes some of them helped a little, maybe, but probably not. If you've been with this doctor for 17 years and you're still having that much trouble, fire her!! Any idiot can increase your dosage and add another pill. That was stoopit.

                                Maybe you need a clean slate. Come off the Zoloft, safely, see how you feel taking nothing. If it's the same, you know the Zoloft isn't helping. I don't know how you can feel much worse... And get a real psychiatrist.

                                Anxiety and depression create horrible feedback loops. You feel bad, you think about how bad you feel, and that makes you feel worse. You picked apples and felt better. You sounded excited about it. Find more things like that. Exercise combined with being outside and being productive is definitely primal, no? I like to cook new things. Food and learning make me happy. Stacking wood makes me happy. Growing food makes me happy. I went shooting this weekend. All of these things occupy my mind and break the feedback loop. And when you wear out your body and keep your mind occupied with good thoughts, sleep comes easier.

                                The best therapist I ever had told me to take a break from thinking about all this serious stuff and go have some fun. I still carry that with me. He wasn't being dismissive. He knew that I, like you, was predisposed to over-thinking and I needed to break the feedback loop. In other words, go outside and play.

                                I know what you mean about marriage and kids and such. One step at a time. Forget about boys right now. I believe you always find good relationships when you stop looking.
                                All very good advice. And I do plan on getting a new doctor and even have one in mind, but I can't switch right now, for reasons I'd rather not go into. I did go off the Zoloft for about six months last year. I was doing great then the anxiety came back with a vengeance. Yes I do need to get a therapist that I can trust I am trying to find something that fits my personal, financial, and schedule needs... it's proving challenging. My car is on its last leg so leaving town to do so is not really an option right now. There aren't a ton of choices around here... working in the medical field has made me realize how few counseling options there really are in this town.

                                Yes... go outside and play! Definitely wonderful advice. I have been making an effort to do so over the last week. Although I came down with a terrible cold and have basically been sleeping from the time I get home until its time to get up for work. I went out to dinner with a friend and shopping for a few primal goodies after work today though and am starting to feel better. The anxiety is subsiding and I'm seeing a little hope in my life.

                                Boys... ugh. Yeah I, as hard as it was, deleted all contact info for my ex from my phone, blocked him on Facebook and have vowed to focus on my family and friendships and whatever happens happens. I love him, but he absolutely does not deserve me. End of story.

                                Over thinking is my curse. I think it brings out the best and worst in me. It's part of who I am, my crazy neurotic self, lol. On some level I won't ever change... and I'm glad because this is who I am. On the other hand I do want to be able to let go enough to enjoy life and be mentally healthy... it's that balance I'm looking for

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X