Depressed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soulrunner View Post
    Jena, have you tried Cranial Sacral? It's really good for dealing with past trauma to the body. How it works? I have no idea. Does it work? Has worked for me on various things, yes. What's involved? Laying down and being touch at certain points on your body and a bit of a chat about what's going on. I'm having a session today. Google it, see what you think. I'm a convert.
    Sounds interesting. I will google it. I had a couple of really good days. Saturday was my friend's birthday party. His sister (and my best friend) had the party at her house. Tons of people came and brought their kids. We had so much fun. I stayed the night and we partied until 3:30 in the morning, which is not something I do often. The next day we went to lunch and watched the Lions game (and they won!!!) then went back to her house and picked apples from her trees for the rest of the day. I took a dozen or so for me and a bushel for my mom. I went back over today after work and we picked more. The trees are so heavy with apples some of the branches were breaking. We've picked about 12 bushels at least and haven't even made a dent! I'm going to make a primal apple pie and my mom is making some apple sauce. Spending time outside has been good for me. It has lifted my spirits. Maybe the medicine is also starting to help. Plus between all of my breaks at work I'm now getting about 45 minutes of sunshine and exercise everyday before I even get home. Don't get me wrong, I'm still down and actually got my heard stomped on a little today (stupid boys) but the difference is that I didn't cry, I didn't come home and go to sleep. I went out and enjoyed life instead! The anxiety is still very much there, but it wasn't as bad today. I'm having a little hope for the first time in a while. I am so grateful for all of the amazing advice and support I get from this forum. Thank you!!

Comment

Okay... I have a problem. I now realize that the Wellbutrin causes extreme insomnia! Which sucks because it is working. I only slept 4 hours last night, and nothing so far tonight. I have to be up in 3 hours... has anyone experienced this? Does it go away after a while?

Comment

How long have you been taking it and when do you take it?
        Go sell crazy somewhere else.........we're all stocked up here.

Comment

How long have you been taking it and when do you take it?
          I have been taking for a week. I take it early in the morning, about 7:00-7:30 am. I can tell its some kind of stimulant... I was acutely aware of sounds around me. I feel good on it except the insomnia. I had to call into work today though. I finally slept for a couple hours, but that's about it. Right now I can't decide if I should go to sleep or force myself to stay up and try to go to bed early. I emailed my doctor and am waiting to hear back from her. Ugh... of course the one thing that helps my mood is going to cause a problem, lol... go figure.

Comment

Stick with it, can take a couple of weeks for the side effects to level out. It took two weeks for me, I am on something different though. I know it makes life hard when you can't get the sleep you need. You're doing great.

My cranial session yesterday was amazing. I hold emotion in my jaw and that makes the muscles very tight causing me teeth grinding and neck trouble. No headaches today. Still more work to be done though.
            Go sell crazy somewhere else.........we're all stocked up here.

Comment

Stick with it, can take a couple of weeks for the side effects to level out. It took two weeks for me, I am on something different though. I know it makes life hard when you can't get the sleep you need. You're doing great.

My cranial session yesterday was amazing. I hold emotion in my jaw and that makes the muscles very tight causing me teeth grinding and neck trouble. No headaches today. Still more work to be done though.
              Thanks for the encouragement! I'm so glad I posted this thread... it's been really helpful. I do think the symptoms will even out. I might venture out and get some melatonin or just take a ton of benedryl tonight... I know that's not an ideal solution, but just to get through the next week or two.

I looked up the cranial sacral treatments, unfortunately the closest place is about 35 minutes away and closes at 6. I get out at 5 so I probably couldn't make it in time, but maybe I'll take a day off soon and go. It sounds nice though. Thanks again for everything, it's so nice of you to take the time to help

Comment

Theanine Serene (supplement you can get on Amazon) really helped me get to sleep this summer when I was struggling with some insomnia (randomly, not drug-induced, so not sure if it would help in your case). It was very refreshing sleep!
                Depression Lies

Comment

Does that have 5-HTP? That makes me throw up for hours every time I have tried to take it. What else works? Valerian root?

Comment

Done with this medicine. Having worst panic attacks ever! Definitely a turn for the worse.

Comment

Amazon.com: Source Naturals Theanine Serene with Relora, 120 Tablets: Health & Personal Care
                      No 5-HTP. You can see the ingredients in the pictures. Valerian root works too.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

Hey Jena,

I've been following this thread but keeping quiet. I don't know why it's been hard for me to post, but your story really speaks to me. I suffered from depression and chronic fatigue for pretty much my whole life, kind of hitting rock bottom last winter and coming close to suicide.

I explored the psychological and spiritual routes extensively. Massage, reiki, cranial sacral therapy, counselling, psychotherapy, yoga: they helped me understand myself, but I was still depressed. I tried every diet you can imagine: veggie, vegan, low carb, no carb, fasting, all you can eat. I followed my dreams, had a crazy social life: still depressed.

Anyway, long and short of it: after a lot of research and experimentation I got a full hormonal panel done. I was diagnosed with a hormonal imbalance, went on medication and guess what? The depression is gone. It only comes back when a certain hormone dips too low.

The medical industry does not understand what depression is. They say "it's a chemical imbalance" - but what does that really mean? What I've learned is that depression is a symptom that something is not right within our physiology. In my case it was hormonal. I'm willing to accept it could be something else for somebody else, but personally I think it all comes down to hormones. I can't believe how much even little things (like my perspective) have been effected by hormone treatment.

That's not to say there isn't a psychological component to depression. I believe it begins as a mental state, and as this becomes chronic, the negative way of thinking impacts the body, makes us sick, and our sick physiology makes us feel worse. We then go to treat the mind (therapy) but not the body. Or, if we do treat the body / brain, it's with the wrong drugs. It's ridiculous to put people on SSRIs without checking their serotonin levels first, and yet I've never heard of a single doctor who's done that.

So, my advice is: get your hormones checked (I should make this my sig at this stage ). Your blood is objective: your blood will not lie, and knowledge is power.

I've been reticent to write here because it feels strange to assert that I've got the answers. I'm definitely not out of the woods yet - I still have bad weeks, but overall I know I'm heading in the right direction. I feel like I should be angry that I wasted so many years of my life being depressed but... honestly... even the most terrible times I went through seem worth it now. Life is so beautiful, and I'm so glad I stuck it out. You'll get through this, and you'll be glad you did.

<3
                        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Thank you YogaBear. I am so sorry you had to suffer for so long. i appreciate you sharing your story with me. That is something I have thought about doing. Checking my hormone levels I mean. At the moment I am so messed up. I was feeling so much better and then bam, super powered anxiety! I've barely slept in 3 days and I am freaking out. And I have to be to work in 4 hours. I have no idea how I will make it. I understand why people kill themselves now. Now I understand why people get suicidal. I'm not, but there have been points in this evening that I thought I'd rather die then feel this way for another second. I'm so upset right now I don't know what to do right now... that's why I got on here. It's better than bawling my eyes out curled up in a little ball on the couch. I mean I can't sleep anyway. I am just praying (and I'm not at all religious) that I can make it through this work day and be able to sleep tomorrow. The one thing I can say is that the way I feel now is much worse than the depression and anxiety I was feeling, so it at least puts things in perspective. The idea that it may be a hormone imbalance does make sense in a way. I can have severe mood swings and be very emotional and dramatic (as you may have been able to tell). Omg, I am going to attempt a couple hours of sleep...

Comment

Sending love and hugs your way. So many people are holding you in their thoughts right this minute. NOW. You are held and you are appreciated. A lot of us have been, if not there exactly, somewhere similar. You can and will get through this. You are strong and brave. Now, curl up in bed and imagine all of us, all over the world, holding out hands and arms to you. A shoulder to lean on, a hug from across the ocean. Close your eyes and rest.
                            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by Jena View Post
                              Thank you YogaBear. I am so sorry you had to suffer for so long. i appreciate you sharing your story with me. That is something I have thought about doing. Checking my hormone levels I mean. At the moment I am so messed up. I was feeling so much better and then bam, super powered anxiety! I've barely slept in 3 days and I am freaking out. And I have to be to work in 4 hours. I have no idea how I will make it. I understand why people kill themselves now. Now I understand why people get suicidal. I'm not, but there have been points in this evening that I thought I'd rather die then feel this way for another second. I'm so upset right now I don't know what to do right now... that's why I got on here. It's better than bawling my eyes out curled up in a little ball on the couch. I mean I can't sleep anyway. I am just praying (and I'm not at all religious) that I can make it through this work day and be able to sleep tomorrow. The one thing I can say is that the way I feel now is much worse than the depression and anxiety I was feeling, so it at least puts things in perspective. The idea that it may be a hormone imbalance does make sense in a way. I can have severe mood swings and be very emotional and dramatic (as you may have been able to tell). Omg, I am going to attempt a couple hours of sleep...
                              I've been there with the insomnia - it can drive you crazy! People think that insomnia is caused by an overactive mind, but now I understand that when things start to get out of whack with my hormones, my sleep is the first thing to suffer. The insomnia is the first sign that things are going south.

What's your diet like hon? I've been around the block with this, so I can offer you some suggestions that will give you short term fixes. But take reassurance in that this is NOT a natural state of being for a human: it's a sign that you have some kind of imbalance, and once you get that sorted on a physical level, you won't know yourself any more! You'll have the power to be the person you always knew you were, and all your suffering will have enriched you massively. Believe me. It will be worth it <3
                              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Jena, one thing which might be worth a try if you're having sleep issues is Melatonin before bed. It's naturally occurring and over the counter at drug stores. I used to have medicine-induced insomnia, and taking Melatonin fixed that. I've also had trouble sleeping the past few days, and it helped with that too.

Lack of sleep can be a very hard thing to go through. Just know that it doesn't last forever, and that you're doing great.

Comment

Working...
                                X