Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you recommend for me a good deodorant or cologne?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you recommend for me a good deodorant or cologne?

Which doesn't contain estrogenic chemicals? Does such a thing even exist? The websites offering information on estrogen-mimicking compounds all say that "fragrances" are things to look out for/avoid. So does this mean there's no safe alternative....?

I use the crystal rock thing.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I make my own deodorant from coconut oil, shea butter, baking soda and cornstarch. Works great, hubby loves it and it works even in the summer heat.
      Just google homemade deodorant. There are tons of recipes.
      Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
      34yrs old, 5'5"
      CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
      GW: 135lbs or less
      Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Comment

Originally posted by blondiegreen View Post
        I make my own deodorant from coconut oil, shea butter, baking soda and cornstarch. Works great, hubby loves it and it works even in the summer heat.
        I use/make the same. I'm still stumped on how to create a better antiperspirant though -- but I actually think it's more the coconut melting than sweating.

Comment

I use coconut oil and baking soda, I think it works really well, at least no one has complained!
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Homemade here too, coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch and a few drops tea tree oil. Works better than anything commercial that I've tried

Comment

i use the coconut oil mixture too...except it "rubs off" on black tank tops. So for these days (summer/fall/spring), i use witch hazel with essential oils (lavender, rosemary) and it works even better (no melting coco oil!)

Comment

my husband and I use straight coconut oil for deodorant. It works *great*. Seriously, best stuff ever.

if you want a scent, you can mix some essential oils into it.

Comment

Coconut oil and baking soda. With coconut oil you never need to overpay for shitty cosmetics again, really.
                  Make America Great Again

Comment

Just another perspective. I have not been using deoderant for at least 6 months now. Yes I am married and wife would be very quick to mercilessly tell me I stink if in fact the were the case. The reality is that since going Paleo I finally worked up the courage to try no deodrant and honestly I am glad I did. My body odor is much less since Paleo lifestyle. I hate the smell of colognes and deoderants. Also I do not use any shampoo and my hair looks much healthier and fuller and there is no "fallout" either. I am a male 53 years old 6 ft 155 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by paleodog View Post
                      Just another perspective. I have not been using deoderant for at least 6 months now. Yes I am married and wife would be very quick to mercilessly tell me I stink if in fact the were the case. The reality is that since going Paleo I finally worked up the courage to try no deodrant and honestly I am glad I did. My body odor is much less since Paleo lifestyle. I hate the smell of colognes and deoderants. Also I do not use any shampoo and my hair looks much healthier and fuller and there is no "fallout" either. I am a male 53 years old 6 ft 155 lbs.
                      Good point. I feel far less need for deodorants now that I'm eating better. The crystal rock thing I use is odorless, and just minimizes the festering of bacteria when I'm confined in businesswear all day, but I've gone long periods with a live-in girlfriend and no deodorant at all (and minimal soap and whatnot) with no complaints.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Since going Primal, much less smell. I've experimented with quite a few things. BS with essential oils, BS with water, essential oils on their own, CO on it's own...at the moment I use CO mixed with BS. Melted and combined then poured into an old glue stick container (thoroughly cleaned!). It works brilliantly and it's so convenient. It's just like using a 'normal' roll-on deodorant. I'm thinking of adding a few oils, for variety.

T.

Comment

Gun oil... works 50% of the time, every time.

Why would you want to de-odorize what you already have? You eat well, and you shower, right? You should be producing pheromones that the ladies love (and vice versa). I wouldn't want to prevent myself from sweating or from not smelling like I naturally do. If I really wanted a fragrance on top of that, I'd go into one of those snobby smokeshops and get some of their spicy stuff.
                          Last edited by wiltondeportes; 08-27-2013, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I think there are safe alternatives but you do have to hammer down to find the information important to you...for example, I've heard males shouldn't consistently expose themselves to lavender, it has an estrogenic effect.

After using every freakin' natural product on the planet, I think this one is the best. http://schmidtsbeauty.com/Schmidts_Beauty/Home.html

Oddly, I too don't smell as much since going primal and I think getting a good sweat is healthy. I find that this stuff reabsorbs any wee sweat and I end up smelling sweet. After working outdoors in 90 degree weather and zero air conditioning in car. Love this stuff! You could make it like other people said but I think the trick is not to dissolve the powders too much in the liquids and rather, suspending them in the creamy ingredients.

Why do I love this healthy natural body products topic so much...it's an obsession

you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop. Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

Lots of coconut-oil love in this thread, thanks for all the input.

The Schmidt stuff looks great too, I've taken a note of it to order later

Comment

Working...
                              X