No announcement yet.

Why aren't vegetarian s obese?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zach, here's a better raw vegan success story than Durianrider (who isn't even raw any more):

Annette Larkins On The Doctors Clip 2 - YouTube
    70 years old
    27 year raw vegan

Annette wrote in the comments: "Some of the starchy vegetables that I eat include sprouted legumes such as garbanzo beans and lentils, and also raw-sweet potatoes or yams. Even nuts contain starch; so although I have excluded cooked and over processed foods, my diet does not lack the vitamins, minerals, protein, starch, fat, and water needed to assist in achieving optimal health.

I prepare a delicious onion bread that includes ground sunflower and flax seeds."
    Last edited by Paleophil; 09-14-2013, 03:27 PM.
    Originally posted by tatertot
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• Proof by example accomplishes nothing. There are always examples to find either way in every diet category.

For some PBF is so important that they will spend all their day agonizing over food they eat and exercise they do. For some it is different. For a hindu brahmin, that is irrelevant. In fact i have rarely seen any of them talking about longevity at all. For them life continues forever in different forms (in some sense true from a pure conservation of energy/matter principle). The linear, finite way of looking at life (and hence we must pack as much into it regardless of the consequences elsewhere) is a western conception.

Whatever makes you tick?
      Few but ripe.

Comment

• I love Indian food and there is restaurant here here in Edmonton that focuses on local and organic food. 7-10 dishes are vegan and the other 3 are meat. The family is veg@n and they are all overweight.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

• I just discovered a Vegan cafe in HK. Absolutely delicious dishes. Mana Hong Kong | Vegetarian or Organic restaurant | HK Magazine
          There are some non-vegan but vegetarian dishes as well.
          I had a wrap with grilled tofu and vegetables and pickled peppers and a raw vegan coconut cake for lunch.

By the way, everyone in the cafe, including the customers, looked friendly and healthy!
          Few but ripe.

Comment

• Originally posted by 70in2012 View Post
            I just discovered a Vegan cafe in HK. Absolutely delicious dishes. Mana Hong Kong | Vegetarian or Organic restaurant | HK Magazine
            There are some non-vegan but vegetarian dishes as well.
            I had a wrap with grilled tofu and vegetables and pickled peppers and a raw vegan coconut cake for lunch.

By the way, everyone in the cafe, including the customers, looked friendly and healthy!
            A lot of non veg*ns go to veggie places because its new, "healthy" or part of the whole fad. Or environmentalists. A lot of those people were likely meat eaters. It seems to be up to a 50/50 split. Not that there cannot be healthy vegans... Or healthy SAD eaters. For all we know, they're skinny fat, or metabolically damaged, but look okay. Who can say?

That being said, that's good you found a decent place there's a whole bunch of veg places cropping up everywhere. Even in the grocery stores its normal. When I was first vegan, there were only a few specialty items available, and I had to go to the health food store :/ and it was nice if there were even options in a regular restaurant raw vegan desserts can be crazy awesome! I make a few myself
            Last edited by Shield_Maiden; 09-17-2013, 04:19 AM.

Comment

• But healthy looking vegans have much more fun though:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Met a vegan dude today.

He looked like he had AIDS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legbiter View Post
                  Met a vegan dude today.

He looked like he had AIDS.
                  Humans always surprise me with their capacity for hate and kindness, dished out when convenient!
                  Few but ripe.

Comment

• I thought a guy at work had cancer. Nope. Vegan.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      I thought a guy at work had cancer. Nope. Vegan.
                      Makes sense.
                      If he indeed had cancer, he most likely would have been an avid meat eater. Perhaps of the kind that wolves down pigs for breakfast.
                      Few but ripe.

Comment

• Originally posted by 70in2012 View Post

Makes sense.
                        If he indeed had cancer, he most likely would have been an avid meat eater. Perhaps of the kind that wolves down pigs for breakfast.
                        How does your argument even make sense? Kg obviously said "nope" his colleague isn't affected with cancer. His colleague's demeanor is most likely due to veganism.
                        ------
                        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                          How does your argument even make sense? Kg obviously said "nope" his colleague isn't affected with cancer. His colleague's demeanor is most likely due to veganism.
                          Hes saying meat causes cancer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                            Yeah. Which it doesn't. Meat mostly causes awesomeness.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                              But the person in question didn't have cancer so his stab at meat is purely hypothetical...
                              ------
                              HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• That study linked on pg 1, actually shows that lactovegetarians do the best (25% overweight/obese vs 40% overweight/obese among the meat-eaters). So, question is if lactovegetarian diet is the best for women?

Results: The prevalence of overweight or obesity (BMI ≥ 25) was 40% among omnivores, 29% among both semivegetarians and vegans, and 25% among lactovegetarians. In multivariate, adjusted logistic regression analyses, self-identified vegans had a significantly lower risk of overweight or obesity [odds ratio (OR) = 0.35; 95% CI: 0.18, 0.69] than did omnivores, as did lactovegetarians (OR = 0.54; 95% CI: 0.35, 0.85) and semivegetarians (OR = 0.52; 95% CI: 0.43, 0.62). Risk of overweight or obesity remained significantly lower among lactovegetarians classified on the basis of the food-frequency questionnaire (OR = 0.48; 95% CI: 0.30, 0.78).

Conclusions: Even if vegetarians consume some animal products, our results suggest that self-identified semivegetarian, lactovegetarian, and vegan women have a lower risk of overweight and obesity than do omnivorous women. The advice to consume more plant foods and less animal products may help individuals control their weight.
                                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X