Paleo/Primal - Taking a More Holistic Perspective

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo/Primal - Taking a More Holistic Perspective

How do you define Paleo or Primal? Like many people I originally started a Paleo diet to lose weight, but after much study and refection I've evolved my perspective and now believe too much focus has been placed on body change or weight loss when the real focus should be on getting back in balance and healing the whole person. I've come to realize that my embrace of the Paleo lifestyle has been about seeking optimal health and weight loss has been a byproduct of this journey. For me the Paleo movement is about getting back in touch with our ancestral roots, those things that are the unique pieces of the human puzzle. It is my belief that our approach to what we choose to eat, how we exercise and play and our relationships with people and nature can all benefit from an awareness of our ancestral history and help each of us develop our own unique, more holistic approach, to better health.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-19-2013, 07:29 PM.
    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

I agree wholeheartedly and wanted to start a similar thread today. I am still Primal as defined by the fact that I eat only food that is listed on the primal foods shopping list (and I also eat beans once in a while) but I don't really feel Primal or Paleo. I don't consume mass quantities of meat any longer. Except for your steak and eggs challenge, which was a blast, by the way ;-) I don't live in the gym anymore. I don't care for bacon. I eat mainly fish and seafood and vegetables and fruit now.

Since that s&e challenge, I've been exploring herbs and adaptogens and a more ayurvedic, holistic approach to well-being. I wake up in the morning and drink a tissane of infused herbs and spices, and either do yoga (badly), or go for a walk. Lunch is usually fruit and yogurt or sauteed veggies. Dinner is some kind of seafood (we catch our own) and sauteed veggies, and maybe rice or potatoes if I'm hungry. I drink tissanes all day, and spend a few minutes every day researching ayurvedic remedies and beauty treatments ( yeah I'm still pretty vain ;-) I feel very calm and grounded now, and just...healthy. And happy.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by little vase View Post
      I feel very calm and grounded now, and just...healthy. And happy.
      Beautifully said! IMO trial, error, distilling and evolving our own unique approach to what works for us is what it's all about.

Comment

I am inclined to agree.

M.

Comment

Very heavy books have been written about what motivates us, it's seldom simple.

Sexual viability might be one elephant in the room. Most of us agree that certain torso contours signal a healthy mate, but we also agree that acknowledging it is shallow even though broadcasting one's health status dominates the behavior of virtually every animal (sometimes elaborately). So we end up with this perceived conflict: "am I doing this for health or vanity?" yet in nature it's unclear where to draw the line dividing the two.
          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

A pity this thread has had little response

The ten primal laws are all about health. Anyone coming here just to lose weight and missing the message that excess weight is the result of ill health is doomed. If one focuses on correcting health issues then there is a much greater chance of succeeding in weight loss and subsequent maintenance

I came here with a significant health issue and a desire to be free of drugs. I happened to lose weight and keep it off despite that not being a goal. The effect on my health has been very positive, but the effect on my CVD is less certain
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I've eaten about 75% primal most of my life without realizing what it's called. When my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I started doing more research on the connection between disease and nutrition, and found Paleo/Primal. My only goal was, and continues to be, health: live long and drop dead! I haven't lost weight, but I didn't need to, although I've probably done some body recomp in the three years I've done Crossfit. I'm now about 95% Primal without any effort.

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
                A pity this thread has had little response

The ten primal laws are all about health. Anyone coming here just to lose weight and missing the message that excess weight is the result of ill health is doomed. If one focuses on correcting health issues then there is a much greater chance of succeeding in weight loss and subsequent maintenance

I came here with a significant health issue and a desire to be free of drugs. I happened to lose weight and keep it off despite that not being a goal. The effect on my health has been very positive, but the effect on my CVD is less certain
                Thank you, well said. Glad to hear your health is improved.

Sorry to hear about your uncertainty in the Paleo/Primal approach regarding CVD. Have you noticed any changes, positive or negative?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                  I've eaten about 75% primal most of my life without realizing what it's called. When my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I started doing more research on the connection between disease and nutrition, and found Paleo/Primal. My only goal was, and continues to be, health: live long and drop dead! I haven't lost weight, but I didn't need to, although I've probably done some body recomp in the three years I've done Crossfit. I'm now about 95% Primal without any effort.
                  "Live long and drop dead" - exactly, I'd like to go while on a long walk, doing intervals or setting a record for 95 year olds in the squat. I tell people in the gym that I'm in training for my 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                    Thank you, well said. Glad to hear your health is improved.

Sorry to hear about your uncertainty in the Paleo/Primal approach regarding CVD. Have you noticed any changes, positive or negative?
                    Thanks.

Re the CVD, the problem is it is hard to get any clear assessment of it. The diagnostics are one or more of invasive, have radiation risk or indicate general fitness with less specific information. The good news is that a recent stress echocardiogram indicated that I have superior fitness for my age, based on VO2Max, and that my heart is functioning well save for a small amount of scarring from the MI. No decline in the last two years
                    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Just popping in to say I love reading this from all the posters in this thread. It really is about more than diet. I've been writing far too much on here today so I'll just say "I agree" and leave it at that.

Comment

I kind of tripped over Primal when I was doing some googling on pink slime and negative effects of soy.

I read the beginning stuff and it just seemed sane. Animals and veggies for food. Move, but don't kill yourself doing it. Get some sleep and sun. Don't ingest toxins. Lift stuff. Play, think, and don't hurt yourself. I thought I was eating fairly healthfully, but there were plenty of tweaks to be made because I'd been relying on low calorie fake foods for condiments and cooking fats.

The lower carb aspect made sense because that's kind of the way I like to eat naturally (with a couple of glaring exceptions like the occasional po'boy).

I had a doctor once that just in passing said to me, "Be your own parent." And Primal is kind of that for me. It took a lot of things I knew and some new stuff, and put it all in a nice little list.

Not sure if I'm expressing it well, but it's kind of like if you spend the day reading through piles of crap, and suddenly something doesn't make you shake your head with its doublespeak.

I'm not a hundred percenter but I feel good about the way I eat and move and don't think I'm doing anything really overt to damage my health. However, it hasn't turned me from a curmudgeon to a cheerleader. I'm still a bitch.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

peril, I see from your sig that you've incorporated turmeric into your woe. How do you use it? I put it in my tissanes and cook veggies with it....turmeric and ghee. I love how it makes me feel. It takes all of the stiffness out of my joints.
                          be the hair that knots with my hair
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                            I had a doctor once that just in passing said to me, "Be your own parent."
                            Such great advice! When I talk to people about the diet that made it possible for me to lose 75lbs with hardly a struggle, I always tell them, "I'm smart enough to make my own rules." Primal is pretty darn close to my rules. Over time my rules have evolved to get closer and closer to something like ancestral.

I'm not really an exerciser, but I have become very attached to my yoga classes. Two instructors, in particular, touch something in me that is really "primal". And I think they're vegetarian, lol.

We buy 90% of our meat and 50% of our fruits and veggies from local farms. That's great in terms of food quality, but it's also extremely satisfying on an emotional level. We hear stories about the chickens whose eggs we're eating and the cow whose brisket we're smoking. My DD was a little freaked out about it at first, but now finds it unsettling to eat anonymous meat from Costco or Whole Foods.

I expect that over time we will get more and more holistic in our approach to what we do. It's addictive.
                            50yo, 5'3"
                            SW-195
                            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by little vase View Post
                              peril, I see from your sig that you've incorporated turmeric into your woe. How do you use it? I put it in my tissanes and cook veggies with it....turmeric and ghee. I love how it makes me feel. It takes all of the stiffness out of my joints.
                              Curries

Comment

Working...
                              X