a few questions abt hygiene

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few questions abt hygiene

So I finally tried baking soda for brushing my teeth last night. I just dipped a wet toothbrush into the tub of baking soda, and brushed. Was very salty, but I have no problems with it. I was pleased and surprised how easy it was! (I meant to try this a year ago, but kept putting it off... just a mental hurdle to get over).

I read that using just baking soda on teeth is abrasive... thoughts?

Can you use baking soda on your body as well? Or would it be too drying? I use baking soda + water on my hair, which is super drying, but acv rinse at the end balances it out.

I wash a lot of dishes, so my hands are constantly dry. Ideas for a simple and natural lotion?

How about sunblock? I don't burn, but occasionally I still wonder if I need some kind of protection. We're usually out in the sun a few hours a day (not continuously).

Coconut oil.
    That is all.
    Ok, that's not "all"...but you can gargle with it, use it on hair, skin & post-sunbathing it's nice & effective too & w/ aloe & jojoba added to it, not too bad for sun protection. Wear a wide brim hat if you are concerned for overexposure. Sun is good fer ya, as long as your diet is not toxic. Besides, most of the sun damage we supposedly get is in childhood. I was a dark brown kid, from playing in the sun after school every day & living in it all summer, every summer. I still don't use sun screen, something else will get me, not sun exposure...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
      Coconut oil.
      That is all.
      Ok, that's not "all"...but you can gargle with it, use it on hair, skin & post-sunbathing it's nice & effective too & w/ aloe & jojoba added to it, not too bad for sun protection. Wear a wide brim hat if you are concerned for overexposure. Sun is good fer ya, as long as your diet is not toxic. Besides, most of the sun damage we supposedly get is in childhood. I was a dark brown kid, from playing in the sun after school every day & living in it all summer, every summer. I still don't use sun screen, something else will get me, not sun exposure...
      How do you know if you're overexposed to the sun? My daughter and I don't burn, we just tan, so I assume we're fine. We usually swim when we're out in the sun-- would coconut oil still be ok for that?

Comment

Originally posted by girlhk View Post
        How do you know if you're overexposed to the sun? My daughter and I don't burn, we just tan, so I assume we're fine. We usually swim when we're out in the sun-- would coconut oil still be ok for that?
        In India, S.E.Asia & the Polynesias, coconut oil is the go-to remedy for hair and skin, you cannot go wrong with it on (or in) your bodies. Don't sweat it: enjoy the tropics to the max, including the sun, & swimming in the ocean.

Comment

Glad you made the change to BS; there are some people who say it's too abrasive, but...I've been brushing my teeth with it for close to 2 years, and I have the best teeth in my family. I haven't worn my enamel away, or anything.
          Remember you don't need much. Just a light dusting.

For the hands: jojoba oil? Pretty pricey, though. CO sounds good. Or gloves.

T.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveller View Post
            Glad you made the change to BS; there are some people who say it's too abrasive, but...I've been brushing my teeth with it for close to 2 years, and I have the best teeth in my family. I haven't worn my enamel away, or anything.
            Remember you don't need much. Just a light dusting.

For the hands: jojoba oil? Pretty pricey, though. CO sounds good. Or gloves.

T.
            Jojoba is a tropical plant, it ought to be common & cheap there where they live. Hell, she can likely just grow it herself in their yard. I meant jojoba oil as part of a skin sun thing, not so much for the hands. Straight coco oil on hands works fine

Comment

I use coconut oil as a moisturiser, hand cream, cleanser and eye make up remover. It's a great all-rounder!

Rubber gloves for the washing up though!

Comment

Originally posted by freerangepiglings View Post
                I use coconut oil as a moisturiser, hand cream, cleanser and eye make up remover. It's a great all-rounder!

Yeah, the detergents can be really harsh.

Comment

In India, S.E.Asia & the Polynesias, coconut oil is the go-to remedy for hair and skin, you cannot go wrong with it on (or in) your bodies. Don't sweat it: enjoy the tropics to the max, including the sun, & swimming in the ocean.
                  I like coconut oil a lot too, but don't you think it gets too oily sometimes?

Comment

Jojoba is a tropical plant, it ought to be common & cheap there where they live. Hell, she can likely just grow it herself in their yard. I meant jojoba oil as part of a skin sun thing, not so much for the hands. Straight coco oil on hands works fine
                    I've never used jojoba oil. Here coconuts are everywhere..

Comment

Originally posted by freerangepiglings View Post

Do you make moisturizers/creams or just apply coconut oil directly?

I really do not like gloves....................

Comment

I don't like using gloves to wash dishes either, but they make a HUGE difference. Dish soap is designed to dissolve and wash away oils and grease, which means this is happening to the natural oils in the skin on your hands if you're not wearing gloves. IMO, chemically stripping away natural oils just to try to replace them with something else is not the best solution (this is what we do with shampoo and conditioner), and having tried EVERY moisturizing option under the sun to fix my peeling hands, I eventually had to suck it up, use gloves and voila! problem solved.

That being said, as much as I love coconut oil, I don't find that it makes improvements in my skin or hair. What does make a big difference is honey, which is a humectant (it helps skin to retain moisture). I occasionally give myself a honey facial and nothing else has ever made my skin so soft (you can also follow up the honey treatment with a little coconut oil if you want, but I don't find it necessary).

For hands, I would put them under hot water to open up the pores, dry them lightly, then cover my hands with honey, and put on disposable gloves so I don't make a honey mess everywhere. I leave it on for maybe 20 min or more, then wash it off. That's the only thing that has made improvements in my dry hands when they were at their worst.

Comment

i use coconut oil as a body moisturiser but not on my face, i prefer to oil cleanse using a combination of almond oil and castor oil for that. I also use it on my feet before putting on clean cotton socks and slippers-the warmth makes it absorb better. Same principal for hands, you can get cotton gloves for doing it.
                          I make a deodorant which is mostly coconut oil, it's better than any commercial one I've tried
                          I don't like it as a hair treatment personally but I know lots of people who swear by it.
                          Obviously I cook with it too, and my dog gets a tbsp a day-it cleared her dandruff in a week and her bald patches grew back which I was told would never happen!
                          Awesome stuff. I buy biona coconut oil from amazon, it's virgin and cold-pressed but unfortunately does come in plastic tubs.

Comment

I use coconut oil on my face and it seems to have been the final step in some very stubborn tiny blackhead "patches" that nothing else was taking care of (Primal was the first step!)
                            Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
                            ~ Dr G & Barb ~

Comment

@BestBetter: Thanks for sharing that about honey. I got some honey massages from a Russian doctor. She promised me it was detoxifying, & it was! Sticky too! Honey is amazing stuff.

@laurathegoth: I also starting using coconut and a few essential oils as underarm deodorant, I love it!

On my face, neck & head, I've been using coconut oil since going to/spending time in India in the mid-late 90s. Also emu oil around my eyes & other sensitive areas. Shea butter too some...

Comment

Working...
                              X