No announcement yet.

So, what do you do for a living?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a scientist - study the immune system and autoimmune diseases.

It is a horrible time to be a scientist in the US. All your time is spent writing grants instead of doing science and there are very, very few jobs to be found.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

• I designed electronics for a networking company for nineteen years. Now I slackline and do chores around my house.
      Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
      Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
      "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
      "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
      "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

• Originally posted by jammies View Post

It is a horrible time to be a scientist in the US. All your time is spent writing grants instead of doing science and there are very, very few jobs to be found.
        I hear you--my dad was a research biochemist, great guns in the 70's, but the grant machine got ugly by the 90's/y2k. What happened?

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
          Awesome. I totally admire this. I want to be able to do this when I am married/have kids/stay at home/retired
          Hey thanks, Sakura.
          Annie Ups the Ante
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Trainee lawyer. The traineeship lasts two years after which we sit the bar exams. For now I have to work as a general practitioner, which is very formative but definitely not what I want to do. I'm more interested in energy law, banking law and sports arbitration.

Any other lawyers about? I notice I have never met an american lawyer who enjoys his job, whereas europeans generally do. Is there any reason for that or do I just attract grumpy people?

Comment

• Originally posted by Valentia View Post
              I notice I have never met an american lawyer who enjoys his job, whereas europeans generally do. Is there any reason for that or do I just attract grumpy people?
              By and large, lawyers are the brunt of jokes and looked down on in the USA. And there are some scummy lawyers about. I don't suppose it is fair that 99% of the lawyers give the other 1% a bad name.
              Randal
              AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
              Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
              http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

• High Class Prostitute
                Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
                Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Valentia View Post
                  Trainee lawyer. The traineeship lasts two years after which we sit the bar exams. For now I have to work as a general practitioner, which is very formative but definitely not what I want to do. I'm more interested in energy law, banking law and sports arbitration.

Any other lawyers about? I notice I have never met an american lawyer who enjoys his job, whereas europeans generally do. Is there any reason for that or do I just attract grumpy people?
                  I'm an American lawyer, been practicing since 2001 and enjoy it mostly--guess I'm the only one! The USA does not have the German/Austrian/Swiss system where you take one bar exam, do a Referendariat and then take a second bar exam although I think that system, like a lot of European training programs, would be beneficial.

Comment

• Originally posted by badbunny View Post
                    High Class Prostitute
                    Not sure if you're being funny or not, but I've heard that these are hard times for prostitutes in the UK. I read a few news articles about some more popular ones that could make in a week what I do in a month, but are now having to take on more regular employment due to a downturn in customers.

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
                    I'm an American lawyer, been practicing since 2001 and enjoy it mostly--guess I'm the only one! The USA does not have the German/Austrian/Swiss system where you take one bar exam, do a Referendariat and then take a second bar exam although I think that system, like a lot of European training programs, would be beneficial.
                    What do we do here? I don't know anything about lawyer-making, though I do have a friend of mine who has a degree in Paralegal (?) or Pre-law (?) who wants to become a lawyer in the long term. Right now he's working on an accounting degree, due to the tendency for a lot of lawyers here to work two jobs until they get established. Not having needed a lawyer, I don't know the particulars there. Personally, I think an accounting degree will help, as he intends to go divorce/bankruptcy.

M.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom B-D View Post
                      I hear you--my dad was a research biochemist, great guns in the 70's, but the grant machine got ugly by the 90's/y2k. What happened?
                      A friend is a post doc bench scientist and we have had more than a few conversations about this. Per her, the gist of the current situation is that there really isn't that much grant money anymore, as the majority was coming from the feds, which have been cutting costs like crazy over the past few years. For example, it wasn't uncommon for 50-60% of grants to be approved in 2005, but that number has dropped to about 17-18% now in her field. Combined with a lot of research scientist jobs being out sourced (I'm thinking the pharma company) and the field isn't doing so great job wise.

But then, there is a fair disconnect in some of the stem fields (thinking that we need more vs what is out there, along with big differences in expectations).
                      turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

• Time to start crowd sourcing your science, I guess. So winds down an age of unpresedented rapid scientific discovery.

M.

Comment

• I work in retail as a department manager. I would like to do something else but can't seem to find my passion. Thinking about becoming a pharm tech.

Comment

• I am a stay at home mom. Between keeping the house, homeschooling the kids, and taking care of my FIL, there are just not enough hours in the day!

Neat thread!

Comment

• Homeschooling your own kids! Now that is a valuable endeavor. The fiance and I have considered that path. Don't skimp out on proper history!

M.

Comment

• HS Spanish and Social Studies Teacher.
                                I just finished my 20th year.
                                In today's climate, I'm not sure I want to encourage young people to become teachers either. It is no longer about teaching and inspiring kids to reach their potential. We are forced to jump through increasingly complicated governmental hoops that are meant to improve the educational system, but tend to do the opposite.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X