Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Grokette have been a sorority girl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    But that doesn't mean that I don't see the merit. And the silliness.
    This is refreshing. What other time in your life would it be permissible to be this silly?

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      OP, you sound like a sensible woman. If you're interested because you're interested (IOW not because of outside pressure), go for it. At best, you'll make friends and be part of a mini-tribe. At worst, you'll find it vapid, and walk away. Depending on your career path, networking may be a very important skill for you to learn. Yes, it should be about how smart you are and how well you perform, but all too often it is more about who you know. These alliances may prove useful in the future. Please report back on your decision and how it worked out. Good luck!
      Thanks so much, Joanie! This is really kind of you.

Comment

Why would you want to be friends with people just because you all want to be friends? Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a shitty recipe for success. I would find people with common interests, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
          My whole thing is: I had plenty of great friends in college, and didn't have to pay to get them. We had TONS of crazy adventures, and some of my funniest stories to this day came from that era.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
          mr anthony....tsk tsk, I expect more out of you. the whole "pay for your friends" thing is so lame. people act like members of frats and sororities are losers who can't get any friends unless they pay to join the club. In my experience as a fraternity member at a major university, I would say that this is far from the truth. I pledged during my 2nd semester freshman year and became close with many of my fraternity brothers. I also maintained all of the friendships i'd made and became friends with countless people throughout my 4 years there. I certainly didn't need to pay for any of my friends. one thing I will say is that in college, like-minded people tend to group together. while I had my fraternity brothers, I also had my jock friends (from the sport I played) and my hippie friends (of the phish show and illicit substance fame), as well as just tons of other random people I met throughout my time there. maybe that's just me though. I don't seem to have any issues meeting people .

Comment

I was surrounded by kids from the same frat in my college apartment complex, and a few of them were good friends. We hung out often and came and went from each others' apartments, communalized our drug sources so all of us always had the best of any kind of shit that anyone could want, got each other jobs and worked together, good man-circle kinda stuff.

I started to notice though that they were always playing this game where they would tell some lie, and then back each other up. They used it to get laid or to generally increase their status in social circles. I found it really kinda gross. It was obviously a frat thing. I stopped talking to all of them when I learned the extent of it/when they tried to get me to join them in backing up each other's bullshit.

(also there was another frat that walked their pledges down the street with a thumb in their ass...)

Seeing how they institutionalize being abused in exchange for one day abusing people in their former role made greek life seem inherently homosexual in a warped and twisted way to me.
            "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
              mr anthony....tsk tsk, I expect more out of you. the whole "pay for your friends" thing is so lame. people act like members of frats and sororities are losers who can't get any friends unless they pay to join the club. ...I don't seem to have any issues meeting people .
              Nah, I don't think people who pledge have no social skills and aren't able to make friends otherwise. I've just never had any issues meeting plenty of people I want to hang out with, so for me it never made sense to join up and drop money on stuff I was already doing. I tend to eschew any group I need to pay to be a member of, unless it conveys some huge benefit I couldn't otherwise get on my own.

Comment

You do buy into a middle-management level jobs network cartel by being Greek.
                "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                  Nah, I don't think people who pledge have no social skills and aren't able to make friends otherwise. I've just never had any issues meeting plenty of people I want to hang out with, so for me it never made sense to join up and drop money on stuff I was already doing. I tend to eschew any group I need to pay to be a member of, unless it conveys some huge benefit I couldn't otherwise get on my own.
                  I am glad I did what I did because I became great friends with a lot of those guys. And I probably wouldn't have met many of them if I hadn't joined. I guess things can be different for different people for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
                    I was surrounded by kids from the same frat in my college apartment complex, and a few of them were good friends. We hung out often and came and went from each others' apartments, communalized our drug sources so all of us always had the best of any kind of shit that anyone could want, got each other jobs and worked together, good man-circle kinda stuff.

I started to notice though that they were always playing this game where they would tell some lie, and then back each other up. They used it to get laid or to generally increase their status in social circles. I found it really kinda gross. It was obviously a frat thing. I stopped talking to all of them when I learned the extent of it/when they tried to get me to join them in backing up each other's bullshit.

(also there was another frat that walked their pledges down the street with a thumb in their ass...)

Seeing how they institutionalize being abused in exchange for one day abusing people in their former role made greek life seem inherently homosexual in a warped and twisted way to me.
                    Sounds like any given bunch of college aged guys (minus the butt stuff). It also sounds like you went to college in an afterschool special

Comment

haha Rowan baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
                        haha Rowan baby!
                        Ass-burrow State.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Still the sight of my 2nd most glorious instance of personal combat! Only the fondest mushroom memories

Comment

My sorority had a minimum GPA requirement to participate in activities. Each new member was paired with a mentor of the same/similar major that should could go to for advice. There were rewards for good grades. Academics were very important. We had the highest GPA of all the female groups on campus.

This was also the first time I got involved in community service, which I loved.

The social aspect, at least at my school, was not emphasized. The frats had parties, but I didn't go to them. Sure, many of my sisters did, but no one pressured me into going. No one was ever pressured to drink. Some never did at all.

Every sorority is different, but you'll get a feel for that going through recruitment. I met some of my best friends in my sorority. Give it a try and see if you find a good fit somewhere! If not, that's perfectly fine!

Comment

Originally posted by primal_powerlifter View Post
                              My sorority had a minimum GPA requirement to participate in activities. Each new member was paired with a mentor of the same/similar major that should could go to for advice. There were rewards for good grades. Academics were very important. We had the highest GPA of all the female groups on campus.

This was also the first time I got involved in community service, which I loved.

The social aspect, at least at my school, was not emphasized. The frats had parties, but I didn't go to them. Sure, many of my sisters did, but no one pressured me into going. No one was ever pressured to drink. Some never did at all.

Every sorority is different, but you'll get a feel for that going through recruitment. I met some of my best friends in my sorority. Give it a try and see if you find a good fit somewhere! If not, that's perfectly fine!
                              I had a very similar experience. My school only had formal recruitment for sororities, so contrary to earlier responses, only people with good social skills were likely to get bids.

I did not drink in college and never felt pressured to do so and all sororities on campus were dry, not to say girls didn't party, but there were no official sorority parties. Hint: movies aren't all true

We prided ourselves on maintaining a high GPA and even had study groups and tutoring within the sorority. We did many community service projects and participated in our national service event each year.

Something to consider: I had close friends in my sorority, but my closest actually were in other sororities or not greek at all because we met in classes or on sports teams.

Comment

I cannot follow this conversation.

I take it Greek is not an autocorrect typo for Grok? You pay money to join these clubs, but only if you are of Greek heritage (do other minorities have similar clubs?) that then impose rules on you, like forcing community service? It must be a lot of money if they can buy houses. And there is an implication no-one will be friends with you if you don't belong to their club. That is a lot of effort just to retain links to your cultural heritage. Why not just have friends from all racial backgrounds,surely that would make you a better person.

Comment

Working...
                                X