Severe Leg Cramps;

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Leg Cramps;

I have been having severe cramping in my lower legs and feet in the evening and all night. I'm waking up at least 6 times a night with random cramps and I harbor .jumpsuits bed to get rid of them. I've started taking electrolytes. I feel like I get enough water. Anybody else have this problem?

Which electrolytes are you taking? Magnesium and potassium are the two most likely suspects for me. Try Epsom salt baths and magnesium glycinate, and salt your food! Orange juice is a good for potassium and magnesium as well.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Thanks. I take Magnesium but I think it's citrate. Didn't know about OJ. I'll try those ideas.

Comment

I had Endurolytes from when my kids played tennis in the heat.

Comment

Low magnesium is what it was for me. Take a 100mg magnesium supp before bed, problem solved. Might want to add a little more salt to your diet also.

Comment

Magnesium here, too!
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

That electrolyte for your kids may not be enough for an adult. I would also recommend the magnesium glycinate, at least 400mg a day. Maybe 200mg in the afternoon and 200 mg at bedtime. And avocados actually have a higher amount of potassium (975 mg per avocado) than an 8 oz. glass of orange juice (496 mg).
              Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I never thought to take Magnesium before bed and I would love the excuse to eat more avocados. Thanks for the great tips!

Comment

When I first experience debilitating cramps it was vitamin B, which was corrected by taking additional B-complex for ~ 2 weeks. Second time it was magnesium.
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

You don't need an excuse to eat avocados. They are a staple food!
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
                      And avocados actually have a higher amount of potassium (975 mg per avocado) than an 8 oz. glass of orange juice (496 mg).
                      And twice the calories. 16 oz. OJ would have just as much if you scaled it up to avocado calories.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

But most orange juice is fake and artificially sweetened after being held in vats for up to six months. And, of course, it's sugar.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

You can juice it at home. Of course it's sugar. And it's vitamin c and potassium, magnesium, tiny bit 'o protein, trace fat. Not all sugar is bad, Taubes Jr. Avocado can be tasty, but it's a PUFA and fiber bomb. Last time I ate a whole one my stomach was unhappy.
                          Last edited by j3nn; 08-16-2013, 12:53 AM.

Comment

I have heard people swear by vitamin E to prevent cramping, but magnesium + potassium supplements work for me.

Comment

For me, twitching means I need more potassium, cramping (Charlie horses) means I need more calcium.

Comment

Working...
                              X