Nah, GINGER is the magic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nah, GINGER is the magic

So I went a widdle bit crazy and ate four boxes *cough* of ginger chews over the last few days (mostly Reeds, one Gin Gin to compare, don't think I could tell them apart in a taste test). Thing is, my gastric pain is GONE.

So I read the WebMD article on ginger (one contraindication it doesn't mention is ginger lowers 5-HTP slightly so could possibly lower serotonin, if you have issues with that) and then a lot of abstracts on PubMed (where I got the previous parenthetical) and decided to give it a go at 250 mg 4 times a day (the dose most commonly used in studies- MOST of the brands capsules at Whole Foods were 500 mg).

I did a history search here and there has been very little previous mention of ginger. So, ginger? Has it worked for you, not worked for you, given you a terrible side effect? Whatcha think?
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Ginger is a well-recommended food/treatment for a variety of gastric illnesses. I believe it has relaxant properties that relaxes the intestines and helps release trapped gas & improve motility.

I've used it for stomach upset (nausea) in the past, but haven't been trying it for my constipation & gas issues. I'll try alternating it with peppermint (which helps with gas). I just picked up a box of ginger tea!
    Depression Lies

Comment

Yes, someone is selling an herbal celiac remedy for gluten exposure which is peppermint & ginger combined as a sucker. I read about it from a celiac blogger who had received a free sample- she had the same problems I had with the candy aspect. I would love to just eat one ginger chew after every meal but there is No Way.

Comment

Oh, and yes, the intestinal motility is from the 5-HTP and 3-HTP effects. It also speeds gastric emptying, and affects digestion such that blood sugar is lowered and good cholesterol is increased.

Comment

Good point. I have my tea in the morning before my first meal of the day. I can see how a supplement would be easier since you don't taste it.

I've been taking a peppermint oil capsules and that helped IMMENSELY with gas/bloating. I take it about 15 minutes before eating. Any more or less and I end up with minty heartburn and burps.
          Depression Lies

Comment

I love fresh ginger, but until recently, I didn't know it could be frozen. Anyhow, I purchased some ground ginger, and since I eat a lot of ground meat (lamb or beef) and rice suppers, it gets used regularly. I also make a little "tonic" that I find refreshing which is just a little ACV + a half teaspoon of ground ginger + a few drops of stevia + water. It hits sour, spicy, and sweet.

Not sure about its digestive properties because I don't have that many digestive issues, but the aroma is wonderful. When I buy fresh ginger, I sometimes rub some on my wrists because the smell makes me happy.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I've been known to eat candied ginger straight out of the package. I think it's really good (or I wouldn't do it, obviously. My boyfriend won't touch it), but it's still candy. And I've never noticed any sort of health effects either way.

Comment

Ah yes, I did not confess to the bag of candied ginger that went with the chews. That does go a little more slowly than the ginger chews. I love it and can eat one or two, but I don't think I could eat say, three cubes of candied ginger in one sitting.

Comment

I get severe motion sickness when I'm in a car or on a boat and ginger is the only thing that takes away my nausea. I hate the taste of it, though. I remember as a child my grandmother would give me candied ginger on long car rides and I just thought it tasted disgusting, like strong soap.

Comment

I have a hot drink twice daily of ginger, turmeric, coriander, and raw honey in water. It's done wonders for my digestion and is very soothing to my stomach. I replaced coffee with this infusion and will never go back to caffeine.
                    be the hair that knots with my hair
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

If you steep some thin slices of ginger in hot water (like mandolin paper thin sliced) it is delicious and very good for what ails ya digestively. Add a little lemon and/or honey as you see fit.

Comment

Ginger Beer Concentrate Recipe - Cookie and Kate

Dear ginger lovers... ^^^THIS^^^... that is all.
                        I'm serious. Try it! I've gone through like four batches this summer. I put it in plain iced water with a sprig of mint crushed in a bit, so lovely and spicy and cool. I use about half the sugar just for preservation in the fridge, then drop in some liquid vanilla stevia for slight sweetness. DEVINE.

Also, *psssstttt* candied ginger root slices are the best!
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Oof that looks good. I'm drinking a ginger kombucha right now. And I'm so making that ginger beer. It will be my mexican coke
                          be the hair that knots with my hair
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Even when made with all the sugar in that recipe it's more hot/spicy/gingery than sweet.
                            It's a very adult flavor rather than a sweet ginger ale taste.

Sooo good.
                            But of course you can always sweeten it to taste!
                            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by little vase View Post
                              Oof that looks good. I'm drinking a ginger kombucha right now. And I'm so making that ginger beer. It will be my mexican coke
                              Yup!! My Mexican coke too.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                              X