No announcement yet.

Moving to america as a student

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the answers. May I ask what a community college is?

And I realize that there are a lot of lazy alcoholic douchebags here, but the thing is in the Netherlands, literally everyone is a zombie. Appearantly I'm good at finding like minded-people in america. Yesterday I was just walking across the beach and saw 3 guys approaching girls (like simple pickup). I also do this, and in the Netherlands I couldn't find anyone doing this and I'm here for only a couple weeks and bam, I find these people. We started talking and bam, found out one of them ate paleo. Could be coincedence but oh well.

Also, is it true that's it's quite cheap to live in hollywood? I heard itwas actually a pretty poor city and these 3 students live there.

By the way, I saw FuriousPete workout at the beach, we had a conversation and we're definitely best friends now.
    Last edited by Gadsie; 08-01-2013, 10:37 PM.
    well then

Comment

It is cheap to live in hollywood (relative to other neighborhoods) but it's not that safe of a neighborhood last I looked into it (which was about 2 years ago).

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
        Because santa monica is pretty much a dream place to be.
        There are loads of American kids who dream of going to college in So. Cal. too, lol. I'm not surprised you're tempted.

If you're able to get a scholarship, I'd say go for it. There are great 4 year universities in CA. If you have to pay your own way, a couple years at a community college (2 year school) while you scope out your options is a good plan too. At your age, any plan for moving forward is OK.
        50yo, 5'3"
        SW-195
        CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
        GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

A community college is kind of like a discount school. Quality varies, and they usually only vend 2 year degrees. I went to one for a while, could have done better. Started a few clubs, changed a lot of lives, though. That's something I used to be really good at.

M.

Comment

Back in the early 1990s when I studied at UCLA, you could work your way through and expect to graduate with minimal debt. Now wages have stagnated and costs have gone up and even if you worked long hours you could not expect to graduate from any public university in California debt free. Parts of Hollywood are definitely cheaper than the expensive areas around UCLA.

Comment

Community Colleges can be great places to get pre-requisite classes for cheap. For example, I needed Statistics to get into grad school. At my grad school, the class would have been something like $900 to take. At the community college it was $120.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                Thanks for all the answers. May I ask what a community college is?
                There are three higher education systems here in California
                1)Private Universities (4 year degree)
                2)University of California <insert name of city here> (ex; UCLA, UCSF, UCSD) (4year degree)
                3)Community Colleges (2 year degree)

Community colleges only cover what would be the first two years of a basic four year university degree. They cover the part that everybody has to take before you decide on your major (your area of specialization). So community colleges cover the basics like English, History, Math, etc. at an introductory level.

If you graduate from a Community College, the degree you have is what is called an Associate degree (AS for Associate of Science, or AA for Associate of Arts). What you get from a UC or private school is a BA or BS with the B standing for Bachelor's degree.

What some people do is take the first two years of classes, all the basis intro stuff, at a community college because it is a lot cheaper and easier to get into, then they transfer to a four year university to finish up so their diploma says they went to a more prestigious school.

Comment

Or, you're like me (and several of my friends) and go in half-cocked and screw about for a couple years and next thing you know you've got nothing.

It happens.

M.

Comment

I grew up in the Midwest (Missouri specifically) and the cost of living is significantly lower than it would be on the coasts. Not as exciting, but it's easier to find good beef, eggs, etc. in farm country and not break your budget.

Keep in mind the US is very car-centric. So when you are researching schools, make sure to check out the local public transportation systems if you don't plan to get a car.
                    Last edited by Danni; 08-02-2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Or become an utter nutjob like me and bike every which way.

M.

Comment

Working...
                      X