Junk and a shining moment...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk and a shining moment...

Today a "kind" office mate dropped off the following "treats" for our consumption:

However, my faith in humanity was restored when I saw this car on the way home:

UGh!!! That's infuriating! I am so lucky I work with very healthy eaters (even if they don't get nearly enough fat). I work directly with three other people - three of us compete in triathlons together and the other is a competitive woodcutter (who knew?). A woman in our legal department used to leave plates of cupcakes and candy and after hours of watching it go untouched, she'd pick it up and storm off in a huff. Oh, she also found out she has Type II diabetes. Go figure.

She recently organized a bake sale for charity. Which charity? The American Heart Association of course!!!

Team Kerrygold!

Comment

Oh so frustrating! There's a very large woman at our school who does the same - she's a darling with a big heart, but her kid is way overweight with serious asthma, but there's trays of cookies and cakes on a regular basis.

I'm really struggling right now - I've always had SUCH a sweet tooth and while I enjoyed the primal breakfast I just ate, I'm really missing sugary foods. I keep telling myself that sugar is a drug! I think being faced with a spread like that would make me cry right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Helen in Oz View Post
        Oh so frustrating! There's a very large woman at our school who does the same - she's a darling with a big heart, but her kid is way overweight with serious asthma, but there's trays of cookies and cakes on a regular basis.

I'm really struggling right now - I've always had SUCH a sweet tooth and while I enjoyed the primal breakfast I just ate, I'm really missing sugary foods. I keep telling myself that sugar is a drug! I think being faced with a spread like that would make me cry right now.
        Are you eating fruit Helen? My neighbor brought me some berries from the co-op she belongs to and I had a couple strawberries and a few blueberries and all I wanted was more. It was ridiculous - I don't have a sweet tooth at all but after that first strawberry - my thoughts turned to strawberries and cream and blackberry pie... sugar is evil!

Comment

Looks like your officemate may be cleaning out the pantry for a Primal shopping spree. I do the same thing after Halloween. I bring in huge bags of candy for everyone... because I'm such a nice guy.

Comment

sugar IS a drug. just say no!
            sigpic

Comment

My mother-in-law is always buying those little sugar grenades for my kids, and I hate it! There's more icing than cake in the little bastards. Always a fight about "treats" and how kids should have them. Argh.

Comment

Garbage, you'd probably be better off throwing away the food and eating the bags they came in.

Comment

Is it wrong that I bring donuts to my office because I want everyone there to get coronary heart disease?

the most face-palmy anecdote ever:

Me in the office kitchen making poached eggs last year. Overweight guy next to me eating a donut. "Hey you'd better watch yourself with eggs there is a lot of cholesterol in them. Just thought you should know."

Didn't really feel like a 30 minute presentation on trans fat / diabetes so I just said "thanks for the heads up."
                  ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                    Is it wrong that I bring donuts to my office because I want everyone there to get coronary heart disease?
                    Haha, you're so bad...but survival of the fittest (smartest) right?

Comment

Holy C**P! Your office mate should be charged with some kind of crime.
                      Merry Spinmas!!!
                      http://stcva.blogspot.com/

Comment

We had an an all company meeting and carb fest this morning. There were a few bananas and bags of peanuts but most of out people dug into the boxes of doughnuts, muffins and bagels. The thing that I find funny is that we have our "Get Fit" program where we're all meant to track our exercise and diet in order to get a better price for our health insurance. Then we serve that stuff. I'm warrioring today anyway, so lack of primal options didn't concern me. at all.
                        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Yee gads, the only thing missing is some soda and some chocolate milk, or some Sunny D. Must be hiding in the mini fridge.

Comment

@suki - yeah to eating fruit but only a little and not by itself. Having to go shopping doesn't help. Having to go past a bakery and doughnut shop before I even hit the supermarket, then going through all those aisles full of of stuff I can't eat. And the family munching out on biscuits and icecream in front of me. It's a pretty big deal to radically change 40 years worth of eating habits.

It's amazing to me how much wheat and sugar is in our diet, I'd never realized. I mean, if you said to someone, 'okay here's an new diet. You're going to eat half a cup of spinach (cooked however you like) four times a day', they'd say you were bonkers, that you shouldn't be relying so heavily on one food group. Like one of those grapefruit diets or something. But that's what we do with wheat.

Comment

So gross. Those cupcakes could be 10 years old with no decrease in food quality or safety. That's how bad they are to start out. People should eat food that can rot, before it does.

I don't indulge often, but I like a good cupcake on my birthday (moist, dark chocolate cake, homemade buttercream frosting...once a year, it's totally worth it) but the things in that picture...they aren't even food. They aren't even UNHEALTHY food. They're cheap, chemically broken-down commodity crops, reassembled and tarted up with paint and gloss to LOOK like unhealthy food. I don't understand eating that any more than I understand eating the plastic foods kids play with in their mini-kitchens.

Comment

Working...
                              X