Steak sauce - WTF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steak sauce - WTF?

I've been visiting my parents this week and could complain about a lot of things. E.g., it's not Sophie's choice, old woman - pick a spot and park in it. However, there is one annoyance that's actually relevant to this forum: A1 steak sauce.

I guess it's one thing when you're trying to stomach the cheap cuts my mother bought, then overcooked. But why go to a steakhouse, order a ribeye, then ruin it with that crap? For a guy who whines like a child when anyone serves chicken, fish or vegetables I find it ironic that he apparently doesn't even like the flavor of beef that much.

Also, "spreadable butter" with canola oil in it. Thanks for effing up perfectly good butter.

mmmmmm.....A-1.....
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

"Y'all got any Ranch back there?"
      “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

People who grow up with steak sauce don't realize it exists to mask low quality meat. They associate it with high class living and good eating. They may marinate all the flavor out of the meat they broil, believing that doing so tenderizes it.

Comment

I love some rare grass-fed beef.

And I love A-1.

Let's see:
          Tomato Puree*
          Vinegar*
          Corn Syrup-blech
          Salt*
          Raisin Paste*
          Crushed Orange Puree*
          Spice*
          Dried Garlic*
          Caramel Color-blech
          Dried Onions*
          Potassiu Sorbate(to preserve freshness)-won't need that if I eat it all up
          Xanthan Gum- well, okay
          Celery Seed*

* I could make a primal version!

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            People who grow up with steak sauce don't realize it exists to mask low quality meat. They associate it with high class living and good eating. They may marinate all the flavor out of the meat they broil, believing that doing so tenderizes it.
            steak sauce is fancy in oregon?

...steak sauce is considered high class?

.......it's not just a delicious condiment?

and people say southerners are weird
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              I love some rare grass-fed beef.

And I love A-1.

Let's see:
              Tomato Puree*
              Vinegar*
              Corn Syrup-blech
              Salt*
              Raisin Paste*
              Crushed Orange Puree*
              Spice*
              Dried Garlic*
              Caramel Color-blech
              Dried Onions*
              Potassiu Sorbate(to preserve freshness)-won't need that if I eat it all up
              Xanthan Gum- well, okay
              Celery Seed*

* I could make a primal version!
              shouldn't need the gum if you simmer it down
              beautiful
              yeah you are

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Violette_R View Post
                I've been visiting my parents this week and could complain about a lot of things. E.g., it's not Sophie's choice, old woman - pick a spot and park in it. However, there is one annoyance that's actually relevant to this forum: A1 steak sauce.

I guess it's one thing when you're trying to stomach the cheap cuts my mother bought, then overcooked. But why go to a steakhouse, order a ribeye, then ruin it with that crap? For a guy who whines like a child when anyone serves chicken, fish or vegetables I find it ironic that he apparently doesn't even like the flavor of beef that much.

Also, "spreadable butter" with canola oil in it. Thanks for effing up perfectly good butter.
                Funny funny post. I can so relate. But really, enjoy them while you can. There will come a day when you're on the front lines for the grim reaper, and you'll miss them and all their annoying behaviors.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I like steak sauce. I wouldn't want it all the time but that doesn't mean it isn't yummy!

No one says you must hate fish if you serve it with a beurre blanc.

Comment

Don't like A1, but prefer ketchup.

However, when grilling ribs or the like, I still prefer sweet baby rays. I guess that's part of my 20%.

Comment

A1 is unneeded. Steak sauce = the juice that releases from a steak when cooked properly. My parents used to tease me for eating the fat they left on their plates & soaking it in the juices left on the steak platter after grilling. I used bread for this purpose too, but now I just pour the juice down the throat. Delicious.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                        steak sauce is fancy in oregon?

...steak sauce is considered high class?

.......it's not just a delicious condiment?

and people say southerners are weird
                        No, steak sauce is not fancy in Oregon. I think she was referring to our parents generation. My dad was a county lifeguard when I was growing up. I remember A1 on the dinner table the rare times we had steak. My mom admits she still likes the taste of it no matter what the quality of steak. It's a condiment that some people enjoy. I like having a little horseradish on my plate with my beef..no matter what the cut.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

yeah, i've had fancy steak and i've had walmart steak. plain, it all tastes the same to me, but lemon pepper with chicken meat. a-1 with steak meat. blackened seasoning with salmon.

that's how i'm happy

it's not low breeding or high class, it's taste preference
                          beautiful
                          yeah you are

lol

Comment

I grew up with A-1, and yup, it was "high class" because that sauce never, ever hit the table unless we were having steak, which was rare enough to be a Big Fat Hairy Deal. Fast forward a few decades, and now I really like Peter Luger's instead. As well as a bodacious butter, wild mushrooms in cream, blue cheese, and steak plain, depending on mood.

IMHO you should be grateful you have the palate, knowledge, and wherewithal to eat better. I know those visits, though - I gave up eating at the folks' place a while ago.
                            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

as a chef, one of my darkest secrets is that I love A1
                              Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Comment

Working...
                              X