Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday fun. Who are your 5 top favourite........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Rojo View Post
    Wait, why do you get to "slash" Sam Cooke and Otis Redding?
    I have a soft spot for Motown, but I didn't want it to comprise my whole list

    If I had to choose, I would go for Cooke over Redding because he had a more consistent body of work, but saying that, Redding died right after he released "Dock of the Bay", which indicates that he was had arrived at a huge new departure in music, and had the potential to be one of the greatest artists that ever lived.

    Speaking of which, I can't believe there are no links to music here yet sooooo:



    Makes me melt.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

    Comment


    • #32
      i tend to have favourite songs rather than bands/singers these days,
      do songs next Sol. if people post a you-tube link we can go listen
      Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-20-2013, 05:04 AM.
      When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
      27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
      new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by CarbDodger View Post
        i tend to have favourite songs rather than bands/singers these days,
        do songs next sol.if people post a you-tube link we can go listen
        Haway then carbs, don't leave me in suspense?
        FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
          I have a soft spot for Motown, but I didn't want it to comprise my whole list

          If I had to choose, I would go for Cooke over Redding because he had a more consistent body of work, but saying that, Redding died right after he released "Dock of the Bay", which indicates that he was had arrived at a huge new departure in music, and had the potential to be one of the greatest artists that ever lived.

          Speaking of which, I can't believe there are no links to music here yet sooooo:



          Makes me melt.
          Sitting on the dock of the bay was the 1st single I ever bought, still love it.

          But it's a toss up between that and this ad my favourite track by the Big O.



          But then off course there is this matter piece by the great Sam Cooke. The opening bars never fail to give me goose bumps!

          http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AwviTE6iZmI

          Ah but then there's Marvin Gaye and Al Green too... Probably my top 4 right there.

          Probably Mr Marley for my 5th fav artist.
          Last edited by Misabi; 07-20-2013, 05:27 AM.
          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

          Originally posted by tfarny
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Sol blackcat View Post
            Haway then carbs, don't leave me in suspense?
            this is currently a favourite. Create Myself by Gary Hesketh - YouTube
            I came across it during one of the sleepless nights( when i trawl youtube /reddit etc) after the 1st cancer op and just before the 2nd. it was part of my process of recognising where I'd gone and part of changing that led to this life change.

            I loath the fight but the fight loves me
            Beautiful blisters the bark of this tree.
            A punch in a kiss my life's on one knee
            Under this skin's hardened harmony.
            I would rather kiss the brink and smile
            Using the best of my worst mile
            Than lie in cold arms forever thinking,
            "Could I have flown through this?"
            I make myself -- I break myself
            Take some time unwrap this life
            And recreate myself.
            I make myself -- I break myself
            Take some time unwrap this life
            I create myself.
            Worn rubber hard ground,
            Damaged skin life bound.
            Dead fingers fumbling found
            The next chance not to come around.
            I waste my own time
            This mind is doing fine
            I won't sell Unmade memories.
            I make myself -- I break myself
            Take some time unwrap this life
            And rewrite myself.
            I make myself -- I break myself
            Take some time unwrap this life
            I create myself.
            There are no clean skins here
            These words were born old.
            I'll cast them out in tears
            Then destroy the mould.
            A shadow's kicking inside,
            I'll starve it before it holds my heart.
            Light up this mechanism, this blood machine.
            I make myself -- I break myself
            Take some time unwrap this life
            And recreate myself.
            I make myself -- I break myself
            Take some time unwrap this life
            I create myself.
            I blew of both wings with one shot
            Stapled my mouth I didn't drop.
            I ripped up my pride I still flew,
            I am me through and through.
            And I'll smile through all this pain because it's all so beautiful
            Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-20-2013, 05:28 AM.
            When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
            27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
            new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Misabi View Post
              Sitting on the dock of the bay was the 1st single I ever bought, still love it.

              But it's a toss up between that and this ad my favourite track by the Big O.



              But then off course there is this matter piece by the great Sam Cooke. The opening bars never fail to give me goose bumps!

              A Change Gonna Come - Sam Cooke,"Portrait Of A Legend 1951-1964" - YouTube

              Ah but then there's Marvin Gaye and Al Green too... Probably my top 4 right there.

              Probably Mr Marley for my 5th fav artist.
              "I'm willing and able, so I throw my cards on your table." Looooove it Bob!

              Your Otis tune didn't show up? My favourite Cooke is "Wonderful World". Another Motown favourite is Jackie Wilson's "Your Love"

              I'm waiting for another Leonard Cohen fan to show up so I can start ranting and salivating.
              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

              In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

              - Ray Peat

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by CarbDodger View Post
                this is currently a favourite. Create Myself by Gary Hesketh - YouTube
                I came across it during one of the sleepless nights( when i trawl youtube /reddit etc) after the 1st cancer op and just before the 2nd. it was part of my process of recognising where I'd gone and part of changing that led to this life change.

                I loath the fight but the fight loves me
                Beautiful blisters the bark of this tree.
                A punch in a kiss my life's on one knee
                Under this skin's hardened harmony.
                I would rather kiss the brink and smile
                Using the best of my worst mile
                Than lie in cold arms forever thinking,
                "Could I have flown through this?"
                I make myself -- I break myself
                Take some time unwrap this life
                And recreate myself.
                I make myself -- I break myself
                Take some time unwrap this life
                I create myself.
                Worn rubber hard ground,
                Damaged skin life bound.
                Dead fingers fumbling found
                The next chance not to come around.
                I waste my own time
                This mind is doing fine
                I won't sell Unmade memories.
                I make myself -- I break myself
                Take some time unwrap this life
                And rewrite myself.
                I make myself -- I break myself
                Take some time unwrap this life
                I create myself.
                There are no clean skins here
                These words were born old.
                I'll cast them out in tears
                Then destroy the mould.
                A shadow's kicking inside,
                I'll starve it before it holds my heart.
                Light up this mechanism, this blood machine.
                I make myself -- I break myself
                Take some time unwrap this life
                And recreate myself.
                I make myself -- I break myself
                Take some time unwrap this life
                I create myself.
                I blew of both wings with one shot
                Stapled my mouth I didn't drop.
                I ripped up my pride I still flew,
                I am me through and through.
                And I'll smile through all this pain because it's all so beautiful

                Reported.
                I will not tolerate copyright infringement on one of my threads.

                Have a good Saturday evening, carby.
                FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Well, it's not Friday anymore, but (in no particular order):

                  1. Jonas Kaufmann (operatic tenor - does some brilliant Wagner)
                  2. Epica (Dutch symphonic metal)
                  3. Fritz Wunderlich (long dead, but about the best Lieder singer ever)
                  4. Serenity (Austrian symphonic metal)
                  5. Mozart operas in general, or the Requiem

                  And you could make a decent fair use argument about that quote, Sol! We aren't godless heathens like you Brits with your limited "fair dealing" exception

                  Edit: Oh, dear, I look rather German-centric here, don't I? I also love Celtic fiddle!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by happybunny View Post
                    Well, it's not Friday anymore, but (in no particular order):

                    1. Jonas Kaufmann (operatic tenor - does some brilliant Wagner)
                    2. Epica (Dutch symphonic metal)
                    3. Fritz Wunderlich (long dead, but about the best Lieder singer ever)
                    4. Serenity (Austrian symphonic metal)
                    5. Mozart operas in general, or the Requiem

                    And you could make a decent fair use argument about that quote, Sol! We aren't godless heathens like you Brits with your limited "fair dealing" exception

                    Edit: Oh, dear, I look rather German-centric here, don't I? I also love Celtic fiddle!
                    Ok buggs
                    I'm not going to argue with any new York Germanic british slaying operatic movement.
                    Tried that before and it ended badly for me.
                    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Sol blackcat View Post
                      Reported.
                      I will not tolerate copyright infringement on one of my threads.

                      Have a good Saturday evening, carby.
                      he doesn't have a record label, he encourages shares so those who like his work can buy the song from I tunes-link on page
                      just been out for dinner and is stuffed
                      When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                      27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                      new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        For now:
                        Leonard Cohen (tomorrow is his concert here)
                        Rufus Wainwright
                        Zaz
                        The Corrs
                        And one local singer whose name don't tell you anything
                        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost. - Neil Gaiman




                        My journal
                        iHerb.com code LBN037 - $10 off your first purchase

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by SugarfreeLife View Post
                          For now:
                          Leonard Cohen (tomorrow is his concert here)
                          YE_AH!

                          Have you been before? I went to see him three years ago, and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life!
                          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                          In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                          - Ray Peat

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            YogaBare, I have been in Berlin concert last year, it was absolutely amazing, open air. He is such a noble man, I truly love his songs, you can find everything in them, every possible human emotion and state of mind. What is your favourite song? I love Alexandra Leaving, Nightigale and Waiting for the Miracle (and many many more)..
                            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost. - Neil Gaiman




                            My journal
                            iHerb.com code LBN037 - $10 off your first purchase

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                              Of all time:
                              - Sibelius (his 5th Symphony is a testament to musical perfection, IMO)
                              I'll have to check this out. Mozart's requiem is probably my #1 favorite classical piece.
                              Depression Lies

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I dunno what my top five are, buuuut Nirvana are timeless. I also like Linkin Park circa early '00s and some dance, electro, dub step mixed in.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X