Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCOS and Metformin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PCOS and Metformin

    I haven't had a period in about 2.5 years. I was on the depo shot before that. Before being on that, I didn't have a period for a couple of years.

    I talked with my doctor about it today and asked about getting my sex hormones checked. She said that most likely I have PCOS, especially considering the other endocrine things I deal with.

    I'll have the lab work back next week. She said that Metformin helps with PCOS.

    I would like any input for ladies dealing with PCOS. How do you deal with it other than diet? Is Metformin a good option?

    Thanks ahead of time!

  • #2
    Have you checked out Stefani Ruper's blog? Paleo for Women | PCOS

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by upupandaway View Post
      Have you checked out Stefani Ruper's blog? Paleo for Women | PCOS
      I remember reading about that a little on clothesmakethegirl! Thanks... I skimmed it just now. I'll check it out more tonight.

      Comment


      • #4
        Metaformin never helped me with periods. Only birth control made them happen.
        I quit taking Metaformin once I started eating autoimmune paleo - PCOS is an autoimmune in case your doc didn't mention that (mine never did)

        Comment


        • #5
          No, my doc didn't mention that. :/

          Comment


          • #6
            they never do.
            do you suffer from Hashimoto's Thyroiditis as well?
            they have found connections between the two

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes I do. I'm on Naturethroid (NDT). I'm working on getting my T3 in range.

              Do you have hashis too?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by yourdebness View Post
                they never do.
                do you suffer from Hashimoto's Thyroiditis as well?
                they have found connections between the two
                I didn't know this - v relevant to the health of a friend of mine. Thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  For myself, pre-primal, metformin was my wonder drug. It helped with my acne, my periods were regular and I was able to conceive our third child on Metformin alone.

                  Eating primal helped to get my blood sugar under control. I would go off Metformin to test things out and I usually went back on to it. It was helping me in some way beyond sugar control.

                  Then my endometriosis pain started returning. I decided to go on birth control and bleed once every three months. Since I was on birth control, I stopped Metformin.

                  I have read good things from Rob Wolf regarding Metformin. As far as side effects, it is mostly digestion and B-12 absorption. I was on the slow release and that helped. It did make me even more lactose intolerant.

                  It really seems to depend on what's going on with the adrenals, thyroid and ovaries. Chris Kresser had an excellent pod cast on this axis. It made a lot of sense. I also recommend The Hormone Cure by Dr Gottfried over Stephanie Ruper's site/book. You get way more comprehensive information and recommendations on what to do.

                  My thyroid is good, but my adrenals (high cortisol) are out of whack. I think this is my root problem. Yours might be thyroid.

                  Eating primal, carbs 50-100, bone broth have all helped immensely.

                  Since getting treated for H Pylori and treating myself like a celiac, the last bit of pain from endometriosis has gone. I am going to attempt to go off birth control and see how things go. ( I'm 38 so hopefully not pre-menopausal yet)

                  I'm still about 10lbs overweight but have lost 26 since going primal.

                  I hope you are able to find the solutions that work for you.
                  Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

                  June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                  Current: 155 - size 10/12
                  Goal:135 - size 8

                  My Journal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    With no periods, you may be low in progesterone. This was one my symptoms at the time of infertility. I was charting ( taking my temperature in the morning) and it showed I wasn't ovulating. The Dr would give me progesterone for 10 days to give me a period. It is not good to go for more than three months without a period ( if you're not on birth control). I'm glad you are getting tested. I would definitely go 100% primal if not already. Stay far far away from soy, soybean oil, etc.

                    For your adrenals ( common that PCOS puts extra strain on them) find ways to de-stress, keep workouts to 20 min or less, walk lots.
                    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

                    June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                    Current: 155 - size 10/12
                    Goal:135 - size 8

                    My Journal

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i was prescribed met, and if i wasn't careful splitting them i'd get sick taking the bigger half. that along with it not seeming to do much else, i just stopped taking it. my blood glucose levels were pretty much normal anyway

                      what helped, more than any of the drugs was cutting wheat full stop (i eat it on occasion these days. don't judge me.) my periods came back and were regular pretty much from the beginning and my other pcos symptoms went away
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

                      Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Momto3 View Post
                        For myself, pre-primal, metformin was my wonder drug. It helped with my acne, my periods were regular and I was able to conceive our third child on Metformin alone.

                        Eating primal helped to get my blood sugar under control. I would go off Metformin to test things out and I usually went back on to it. It was helping me in some way beyond sugar control.

                        Then my endometriosis pain started returning. I decided to go on birth control and bleed once every three months. Since I was on birth control, I stopped Metformin.

                        I have read good things from Rob Wolf regarding Metformin. As far as side effects, it is mostly digestion and B-12 absorption. I was on the slow release and that helped. It did make me even more lactose intolerant.

                        It really seems to depend on what's going on with the adrenals, thyroid and ovaries. Chris Kresser had an excellent pod cast on this axis. It made a lot of sense. I also recommend The Hormone Cure by Dr Gottfried over Stephanie Ruper's site/book. You get way more comprehensive information and recommendations on what to do.

                        My thyroid is good, but my adrenals (high cortisol) are out of whack. I think this is my root problem. Yours might be thyroid.

                        Eating primal, carbs 50-100, bone broth have all helped immensely.

                        Since getting treated for H Pylori and treating myself like a celiac, the last bit of pain from endometriosis has gone. I am going to attempt to go off birth control and see how things go. ( I'm 38 so hopefully not pre-menopausal yet)

                        I'm still about 10lbs overweight but have lost 26 since going primal.

                        I hope you are able to find the solutions that work for you.
                        Wow momto3! So much good info. Thank you!

                        The pharmacy is calling my doc to have the script changed over to the slow release generic glucophage Metformin.

                        I'll check out rob wolf's info and Chris Kresser when I get a chance tonight.

                        All that I read so far says that once my thyroid numbers are where they need to be, PCOS won't be an issue. But I'm not totally sure I have it yet anyway. I'll know next week when the results are in.

                        I'm taking vitex for progesterone right now but may get a cream when I get the results back.

                        I'm trying to decide if I want to go ahead and take the Metformin?! I'm just confused on what to do right now.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                          i was prescribed met, and if i wasn't careful splitting them i'd get sick taking the bigger half. that along with it not seeming to do much else, i just stopped taking it. my blood glucose levels were pretty much normal anyway

                          what helped, more than any of the drugs was cutting wheat full stop (i eat it on occasion these days. don't judge me.) my periods came back and were regular pretty much from the beginning and my other pcos symptoms went away
                          Thanks for your reply!

                          Did you have the slow release Metformin? Was it the 500mg that you split?

                          I have a little wheat about once a week. I don't really think I have many symptoms of PCOS. That's great that your symptoms are gone!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I know it's tough. You could always wait for confirmation from the blood work. With Type 1 also ( which has been related to auto-immune) you may just want to start with the autoimmune protocol. Are you primal yet? I know it can feel very very restrictive and unfair. It is hard emotionally when you are dealing with multiple issues. Dr Gottfried says to try to find the one issue that will influence the others the most and it probably is your thyroid. I would start with the autoimmune protocol ( The Paleo Mom is an excellent resource) while you wait for blood work. Metformin can help, but it can also make you feel awful in the beginning. Plan to stay close to a bathroom the first few days/week.
                            Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

                            June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                            Current: 155 - size 10/12
                            Goal:135 - size 8

                            My Journal

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I am primal but I tend to eat carbs between 120-180g for my thyroid. I feel best this way too. I'll check out the autoimmune protocol. I don't do much dairy except for raw goat milk... And sometimes goat cheese.

                              When my thyroid numbers are in order I'm going to start on Low dose naltrexone. It's an immune system modulator that works for various autoimmune conditions. It might work for PCOS. It might be something you are interested in.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X