PCOS and Metformin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
    ...if i wasn't careful splitting them...
    I have some cats on meds that need to be split, tiny pills that I had one heck of a time splitting. I bought a pill-splitter for it.

Comment

yeah i did too
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

Originally posted by brooke.S. View Post
        Thanks for your reply!

Did you have the slow release Metformin? Was it the 500mg that you split?

I have a little wheat about once a week. I don't really think I have many symptoms of PCOS. That's great that your symptoms are gone!!
        if i remember right, it was the 500, yeah

and yeah i was happy that i stopped the slow progression into bald wookie with black knees
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

How are you doing Brooke? Did you start Metformin? How are you feeling?

As I said before I went off birth control to see how things would go. Well, I have gained 7 lbs in a month and a half. It seems my body needs more support than a primal diet and exercise. Thankfully, the endometriosis pain is still at bay and most things are going really well. But after talking to my NP today, I will be getting some blood glucose/insulin tests and then hormone tests to see what my baseline is now that I've been off birth control for almost two months. My NP is willing to work with Metformin if that is the route I want to take. I will also be doing the 23andme.com DNA test to look at my methylation pathways (this is new territory for me, don't know much about it yet). I am disappointed with this set back and weight gain, but i do feel I am getting closer to the healing I am looking for. I wish you well!
          Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
          Current: 155 - size 10/12
          Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Momto3 View Post
            How are you doing Brooke? Did you start Metformin? How are you feeling?

As I said before I went off birth control to see how things would go. Well, I have gained 7 lbs in a month and a half. It seems my body needs more support than a primal diet and exercise. Thankfully, the endometriosis pain is still at bay and most things are going really well. But after talking to my NP today, I will be getting some blood glucose/insulin tests and then hormone tests to see what my baseline is now that I've been off birth control for almost two months. My NP is willing to work with Metformin if that is the route I want to take. I will also be doing the 23andme.com DNA test to look at my methylation pathways (this is new territory for me, don't know much about it yet). I am disappointed with this set back and weight gain, but i do feel I am getting closer to the healing I am looking for. I wish you well!
            Hey Momto3!

I did start Metformin and was on it over a month. My energy levels got much worse. I have been dealing with thyroid and adrenal stuff for a while now. I felt like whatever it was doing to my liver was possibly lowering my cortisol even more. I've been off of it for a few weeks now and don't feel as dragged down as I did. I didn't notice needing less insulin on it as I can see on my insulin pump how much I use per day.

How was your energy level on Metformin?

When my lab results came back in my testosterone was normal but estrogen and progesterone were both low. So, it appears that I don't have PCOS. My doc said that it couldn't be ruled out until I had an ultrasound done. I'm not having one though due to insurance limitations. I have an appt in march and will be able to get on bio-identical hormones. I'll have to wait until then...

I've heard a lot about 23andme but I don't know that I want the government to have all that access to my DNA. At the same time, I think it's probably pretty valuable to know. So, you gained weight from going off the pill? Ya know... years ago I was on the depo shot and the year I was on it, I lost 15 lbs. I've always wondered if it corrected a hormonal imbalance I had. Sounds like it could be if you gained going of birth control too.

ETA: I also started having horrible acne on my chest and shoulders. I hadn't ever had breakouts like that. I thought it was the Vitex I was taking. I stopped it for 2 weeks and still had the acne so I realized it was the Metformin. I was also taking NAC which turns out to do the same thing as Metformin.. well, kinda sort of. You might want to check into NAC. I believe at least 1800mg a day.
            Last edited by brooke.S.; 09-20-2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

My energy was good on Metformin. My thyroid is in good condition thankfully. My NP figures my high cortisol was due to all the inflammation going on in my gut. Since getting that healed up I've been doing much better. The NP said that I've basically been suppressing things with birth control. By going off it and Metformin my body is going back to the imbalance. I'm feeling kind of sad tonight about it, but it makes sense I guess. It will be interesting to see what the results point to.

My Journal

Comment

Some results are in:

Chris Kresser's recommended numbers:

http://chriskresser.com/handouts/CHD_testing.pdf

MarkerIdeal
                Fasting blood glucose (mg/dL)<86*
                OGGT / post-meal (mg/dL after 2 hours)<120
                Hemoglobin A1c (%)<5.3

His Fasting Insulin recommendation: <5

My numbers:
                Blood glucose 85
                HbA1c 5.1
                Insulin 6.9

Have any of you PCOS sisters had your insulin levels checked? I'm considering going back on slow release Metformin.

My Journal

Comment

Talked with my NP today. I am going back on Metformin plus some herbal support for liver and blood sugar. Time to stop this weight gain train. I'm ready. Time for some acceptance too. Acceptance that I need more support.

My Journal

Comment

Working...
                  X