Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown recluse spider bites... any ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown recluse spider bites... any ideas?

I think I may have been bitten by one -- anyone have any experience handling this bite effectively?

I know that echinacea is recommended internally, and raw garlic and raw honey are can be used externally, but are there any other remedies or options that I should be aware of?

I'd like to steer clear of antibiotics. From what I've read, these seem to be ineffective at removing venom. I'm not totally opposed to doctors/medical establishments, though, so if there are any specific types of doctors who could help, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

From what I've heard, a brown recluse bite is some scary stuff. A friend was bitten by one years ago. She mentioned that you have to get it treated ASAP... I think within 3 hours.

You might want to go to the hospital. But, like I said, I don't have any personal experience.

Hope all goes well!

Comment

Get to the ER for antivenom. NOW. This is not a what would Grok do moment.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

Actually, they are mostly harmful in children, the elderly and ill people. Why do you think you were bitten by one? They are not aggressive spiders so usually bites come from a defensive situation. Did you see it? If this is a concern to you, I would trot on over to the nearest urgent care or ER. Any MD or DO would be fine as well.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

What.

GO to the hospital.

(I know of two people, both also in FL, who were bitten by them and both needed to be hospitalized...don't wait or mess around)
          be the hair that knots with my hair
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

So listen to little vase and just go to the ER to be safe. Interesting that you left that post and nothing else.

Comment

I have a friend that was bitten and did get a pretty nasty open lesion that took some time to heal. But by the time she went in there was nothing they could do. She was perfectly fine after a few weeks.

Did you end up going in? Were they able to help?
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Benadryl is the best possible treatment. Take daily for about ten days.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Did you go to the ER? Poisonous spider bites are not to be taken lightly...
                  F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

It's not exactly poisonous, it's more - necrotic. Localized, and the real danger will only come from uncontrolled inflammation and the body's response to it. I got bit stacking wood earlier this year and the benadryl worked perfectly to contain the area.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I ended up doing a crazy amount of research into this, and I'm almost positive I misidentified the bite. Not only is the bite (or lesion) getting better very quickly, legitimate brown recluses only inhabit the very northwestern corner of Florida, which I am nowhere near. Other similarly venomous spiders (such as the hobo spider) do not inhabit Florida at all. Some links for anyone who's interested:

UCR Spiders Site: Myth of the Brown Recluse
                      Spider Myths: Home
                      Brown Recluse Spider, Probably Not!! - Florida Pest Control
                      brown recluse spider - Loxosceles reclusa Gertsch and Mulaik

I'm still keeping an eye on the area (on my hand, actually), and if anything too iffy happens, I know where to go, haha! Might have been a little over the top to post this, but hey, I just learned a lot of potentially useful stuff. Anyway, if anyone else has more info on the subject, I'd love to hear it. This is something I've actually been interested in for a while now.

Thanks for all the input by the way! Good suggestion about Benadryl, I'd never heard of that.
                      Last edited by tarek; 07-14-2013, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tarek View Post
                        I ended up doing a crazy amount of research into this, and I'm almost positive I misidentified the bite. Not only is the bite (or lesion) getting better very quickly, legitimate brown recluses only inhabit the very northwestern corner of Florida, which I am nowhere near. Other similarly venomous spiders (such as the hobo spider) do not inhabit Florida at all. Some links for anyone who's interested:

UCR Spiders Site: Myth of the Brown Recluse
                        Spider Myths: Home
                        Brown Recluse Spider, Probably Not!! - Florida Pest Control
                        brown recluse spider - Loxosceles reclusa Gertsch and Mulaik

I'm still keeping an eye on the area (on my hand, actually), and if anything too iffy happens, I know where to go, haha! Might have been a little over the top to post this, but hey, I just learned a lot of potentially useful stuff. Anyway, if anyone else has more info on the subject, I'd love to hear it. This is something I've actually been interested in for a while now.

Thanks for all the input by the way! Good suggestion about Benadryl, I'd never heard of that.
                        Omg. Seriously? Way to be dramatic and not in a good or admirable way.

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post

Sorry?

My intent wasn't to be dramatic. I had a legitimate concern; I took it here because I've been using this forum for a good while and I trust this community to give good advice. I felt the need to take some caution, but my gut told me to sleep on it and go to the ER in the morning if it worsened or did not improve. Fortunately, after sleeping, it has healed up nicely. I have no idea what caused it.

Again, my apologies if this came off as a false alarm. I am very sorry if I raised some concern or upset anyone here. That definitely wasn't my intent when I made this thread.
                          Last edited by tarek; 07-14-2013, 03:13 AM.

Comment

I'm glad you seem to be ok. I would love to click on your links but they might have pics of spiders in them. I seriously cannot look at photos of spiders!
                            be the hair that knots with my hair
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                              <snort> First of all, if you're going to accuse someone of being overly dramatic, staring off with "OMG! Seriously?" might not be the best way.

Tarek isn't like that. He had a legitimate concern, it turned out to be fine, and he ended up giving the forum the benefit of all his research in case anyone else is in the same spot in the future. Thanks, Tarek. And we're glad you're OK.

Who put a burr in your beach blanket anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X