Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown recluse spider bites... any ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tarek View Post
    I ended up doing a crazy amount of research into this, and I'm almost positive I misidentified the bite. Not only is the bite (or lesion) getting better very quickly, legitimate brown recluses only inhabit the very northwestern corner of Florida, which I am nowhere near. Other similarly venomous spiders (such as the hobo spider) do not inhabit Florida at all. Some links for anyone who's interested:

UCR Spiders Site: Myth of the Brown Recluse
    Spider Myths: Home
    Brown Recluse Spider, Probably Not!! - Florida Pest Control
    brown recluse spider - Loxosceles reclusa Gertsch and Mulaik

I'm still keeping an eye on the area (on my hand, actually), and if anything too iffy happens, I know where to go, haha! Might have been a little over the top to post this, but hey, I just learned a lot of potentially useful stuff. Anyway, if anyone else has more info on the subject, I'd love to hear it. This is something I've actually been interested in for a while now.

Thanks for all the input by the way! Good suggestion about Benadryl, I'd never heard of that.
    Glad to hear that you are healing up. My friend who was bitten was in Missouri - so perhaps it was not a real brown recluse? A family member perhaps?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
      Omg. Seriously? Way to be dramatic and not in a good or admirable way.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
      Good grief. There was nothing dramatic at all about his post. I've seen you go on the attack on a few forum members now over nothing. Is there a reason for that?
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
        Glad to hear that you are healing up. My friend who was bitten was in Missouri - so perhaps it was not a real brown recluse? A family member perhaps?
        My daughter lives in Missouri, and she and her husband see them all the time.

Comment

Glad to hear you're okay. My FIL lost the tip of a finger due to a spider bite, he never saw the spider and didn't get it attended to right away.

As for home remedies to fight infections I highly recommend raw honey. My brother had an infection on his toe for months (he's diabetic) he kept taking antibiotics that the doctors gave him finally, he decided he had nothing to lose so he tried some of my raw honey and w/in days he saw an improvement, it's all healed now. If I could just get him to listen to me regarding his diet....
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

As someone who grew up in brown recluse territory and knows several people who have been bitten, if you get bitten go to the ER. ASAP. Seriously.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

my garage is infested with them. i was out there today and had one crawling on my leg. last year i killed 26 in one afternoon. sucks. not sure how to get rid of them
              Primal Chaos
              37yo 6'5"
              6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
              current 338lbs 49" waist
              goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

god i hate those things. we have the standard and delicate wispy ones with long legs that run like a cheetah. i don't know what they are, but they have the same body shape and violin

put down lots of glue traps against walls and in all the corners, on counters, under sofas and tables and beds. if you have piles of things stacked that you haven't moved in a while, straighten up cause they love to live in piles of things. and jump out. to say hi. with their fangs.
                beautiful
                yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                lol

Comment

I just keep thinking of that series of photos someone took of a brown recluse spider bite they got as it progressed. If you look through them quickly, it looks like it's exploding.
                  My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                  (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                  Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                  (Red Dwarf)

Comment

Ooooh I remember that. It was pretty horrifying.
                    be the hair that knots with my hair
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                      my garage is infested with them. i was out there today and had one crawling on my leg. last year i killed 26 in one afternoon. sucks. not sure how to get rid of them
                      I've suggested a shop-vac with mothballs in the cannister, but I don't get them up here, so I can't test it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborcat View Post
                        I just keep thinking of that series of photos someone took of a brown recluse spider bite they got as it progressed. If you look through them quickly, it looks like it's exploding.
                        I've seen it too and am so glad the OP will not have to deal with such a nasty injury!

Comment

I have a friend who bought a pair of pants at a secondhand clothing store. He wore them without washing them and ended up with a brown recluse spider bite. He went to the ER and thankfully the doctor he saw was from Florida and knew right away what it was. (I'm in Minnesota where our cold, cold winters kill most of the scary stuff.) He was in the hospital for several days. Makes me wonder where those pants came from and how long the spider lived in them before they travelled to Minnesota!
                          Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

Comment

Originally posted by tarek View Post
                            Sorry?

My intent wasn't to be dramatic. I had a legitimate concern; I took it here because I've been using this forum for a good while and I trust this community to give good advice. I felt the need to take some caution, but my gut told me to sleep on it and go to the ER in the morning if it worsened or did not improve. Fortunately, after sleeping, it has healed up nicely. I have no idea what caused it.

Again, my apologies if this came off as a false alarm. I am very sorry if I raised some concern or upset anyone here. That definitely wasn't my intent when I made this thread.
                            Ignore her. I think she has a tendency to overreact.

A friend of mine was bitten by a spider that we thought was a brown recluse (we lived in Northern CA at the time and there actually are brown recluses). He didn't think it was a big deal until his entire arm became stiff and sore (he was bitten on the finger because he tried to flick the spider with his fingers). He never went to the doctor though, and it got better on its own eventually.

My journal

Comment

Unless there is significant swelling and damage the current treatment protocol is a wait and see. They let the venom do what it is going to do and then see if any debridement and repair needs to be done.

I got a fiddleback bite in March and you can still see a faint discoloration to the area. Benadryl and neosporin.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachbrat View Post
                                Unless there is significant swelling and damage the current treatment protocol is a wait and see. They let the venom do what it is going to do and then see if any debridement and repair needs to be done.

I got a fiddleback bite in March and you can still see a faint discoloration to the area. Benadryl and neosporin.
                                What? A fiddleback is a vegetable that tastes like adparagus.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                                X