Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Love the Paleo way of eating and fitness, but not the Bro-Scientists?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a LOT of women in the paleosphere!

Sarah Fragoso
    Chrissy Gower
    Juli Bauer
    Alison Golden
    Melissa Joulwan
    Michelle Tam
    Sarah Ballentine
    Diane Sanfilippo
    Liz Wolfe
    Amy Kubal
    Julianne Taylor
    Emily Deans
    Kendall Kendrick
    Karen Phelps
    Diana Rodgers
    Peggy Emch

And some (straight!) couples: Toth/McCarry, Mason/Staley, the Hartwigs, the Caltons

Maybe you could point your friends in their direction? I think Alison Golden is particularly approachable - in her 50s and fixed her endometriosis and one of her kid's serious behavioural problems with paleo.

Comment

I think the OP is referring to the fact that a lot of young guys that are on paleo/primal are very "holier than thou" with their approach to others....these are people that insist on the following rules:

1) Your fitness is determined by your one rep maxes and how massive you are. Every other measure is for wussies or quitters.
      2) It is perfectly fine to vehemently argue VERY minute points of fitness or nutrition without any mention of cost or compliance. This is the "Eat 155g of Southwest Refried Panda Rectum to get ripped!" crowd. The fact that something is expensive, tastes terrible, or is miserable to do does not factor in. If it does, refer to number one.
      3) Unless someone is bigger than you or stronger than you, they are to be looked down upon as weaklings and bottom-feeders. Trample the weak, hurdle the dead. The fact that you may have a much better education, more happiness, more anything else, is not to be considered. I lift more = I am better than you, all the time.

Ok, so perhaps those above are exaggerations....the sad part is that not by much
      "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
        I think the OP is referring to the fact that a lot of young guys that are on paleo/primal are very "holier than thou" with their approach to others....these are people that insist on the following rules:

1) Your fitness is determined by your one rep maxes and how massive you are. Every other measure is for wussies or quitters.
        2) It is perfectly fine to vehemently argue VERY minute points of fitness or nutrition without any mention of cost or compliance. This is the "Eat 155g of Southwest Refried Panda Rectum to get ripped!" crowd. The fact that something is expensive, tastes terrible, or is miserable to do does not factor in. If it does, refer to number one.
        3) Unless someone is bigger than you or stronger than you, they are to be looked down upon as weaklings and bottom-feeders. Trample the weak, hurdle the dead. The fact that you may have a much better education, more happiness, more anything else, is not to be considered. I lift more = I am better than you, all the time.

Ok, so perhaps those above are exaggerations....the sad part is that not by much
        Young guys who are thinking their own n = 1 is a one-size-fits-all plan.

Comment

Originally posted by upupandaway View Post
          There are a LOT of women in the paleosphere!

Sarah Fragoso
          Chrissy Gower
          Juli Bauer
          Alison Golden
          Melissa Joulwan
          Michelle Tam
          Sarah Ballentine
          Diane Sanfilippo
          Liz Wolfe
          Amy Kubal
          Julianne Taylor
          Emily Deans
          Kendall Kendrick
          Karen Phelps
          Diana Rodgers
          Peggy Emch

And some (straight!) couples: Toth/McCarry, Mason/Staley, the Hartwigs, the Caltons

Maybe you could point your friends in their direction? I think Alison Golden is particularly approachable - in her 50s and fixed her endometriosis and one of her kid's serious behavioural problems with paleo.
          This. Lets add Melissa Hartwig to this list.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Upupandaway, Alison Golden was a great suggestion. I think that's the kind of suggestion I believe the OP was talking about. As much as I like Mark and Robb some of us women don't identify with them.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I let my results speak for me. If someone is truly interested, then they will look at the facts about food and exercise. Food isn't masculine or feminine, it's just food. Exercise also has no gender, but, society seems to think that women should be "jazzercising" and men should be weight lifting. Personally, I just spend time playing at the park with the kids, running through the equipment, swinging on the monkey bars, and attempting pull ups (I so suck at those, but I keep trying!). This is a great "womanly" way to get exercise, and not worry about machismo!

Comment

I would also add to the above list of women in the "paleosphere":

Dr. Georgia Ede and her blog "Diagnosis: Diet"
                Nora Gedgaudas and her book and website both called "Primal Body, Primal Mind"
                And Denise Minger with her brilliant dismantling of the China Study

Comment

1. Do you care more about what "you" think or what "they" think?
                  2. I'm sorry, but I don't see any more "jerk" guys than I see "jerk" females out there--"jerk" has no gender. I guess I'm just "lucky," eh? The men I meet in the gym are like the ones on the forum here--supportive. I don't expect men to have the "right" answers all the time, any more than I expect women to. Use your own brain, and you won't be so worried about others.

Comment

I kind of get this. I almost posted an "Ask Mark" forum question titled:

"Does going Primal turn some people into arrogant assholes?"

I don't think it turns away just women. Maybe the Forum atmosphere isn't the best option for a lot of people, and they'd be better off just buying the book(s) and doing it on their own (at least at first). I think there is a fine line between witty sarcasm and just being rude, and the Internet complicates it even more. I agree with whomever said to not refer to it as Paleo but instead talk about what you do/don't eat, how you stay active the health improvements you've seen.

If they ask, of course...
                    sigpic
                    Age 48
                    Start date: 7-5-12
                    5'3"
                    121lbs
                    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                    Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

I had a lady yesterday say "why don't you try eating less and moving more...." thanks genius, you missed the point. It's about health and how you feel....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                        This. Lets add Melissa Hartwig to this list.

I don't believe former heroin addicts qualify as healthy lifestyle resources
                        ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                          So, nobody who's ever been an addict can now have anything useful to add to the paleo discussion?
                          Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                            So, nobody who's ever been an addict can now have anything useful to add to the paleo discussion?
                            not in my book; though George zimmerman might make a good mentor for inner city kids and aaron hernandez could be an effective baby sitter -- I don't give them the chance. They've lost that chance and privelege by their past actions.

same with the heroin addict

ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                              Wow. I would give a deeper response but I feel my IQ shrinking by just reading your words.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
                                Just stay away from the hyper-social purer h. sapiens (flat, vertical forehead, protruding eyes, short brainpan) and find more sapiens x neanderthal (deep eyes, sloping forehead, occipital bun) for honest, face to face communication instead of verbal position-seeking games.
                                You are kidding right? I vote you go be on someone elses team.
                                So you haven't ever ridden the bus, tried to talk to people, or gone to public school? How can you not have noticed this?
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X