Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it as hard for you to get almond butter in your town as it is in mine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it as hard for you to get almond butter in your town as it is in mine?

This is getting ridiculous. Trader Joe's in Santa Barbara (and there are 3 stores) is always out of almond butter. They are only allowed to carry a small number of jars (so they say) and they don't limit how many a customer can buy so as soon as they get any in store, people buy them all. So they never have any almond butter when we are able to go.

Anywhere else costs as much as $20 or more for a jar of almond butter. I like almond butter but it's not worth $20 a jar.

Is it this hard for you to find almond butter? I'm thinking we're going to have to buy it off the internet if we're ever going to have any ever again.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

You don't have Sprout's up there (used to be called Henry's)?

Comment

If you have a Fresh Market nearby you can go in and make your own. I'm sure its not as cheap as TJ, but you grind what you need.

Comment

Yeah ... Do you know why? Is there an almond shortage? I love almond butter, but I haven't able to find an acceptable one in months. In a way it's been good, since I feel like the habit is broken and to be honest, I was not needing those delicious calories ...

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          This is getting ridiculous. Trader Joe's in Santa Barbara (and there are 3 stores) is always out of almond butter. They are only allowed to carry a small number of jars (so they say) and they don't limit how many a customer can buy so as soon as they get any in store, people buy them all. So they never have any almond butter when we are able to go.

Anywhere else costs as much as $20 or more for a jar of almond butter. I like almond butter but it's not worth $20 a jar.

Is it this hard for you to find almond butter? I'm thinking we're going to have to buy it off the internet if we're ever going to have any ever again.
          YUMBUTTER!

Yumbutter

It probably meets your 'not worth it' price cut off but it is SO good and they give back with a Buy One/Feed One program. Their current focus is on Haiti.
          sigpic
          Age 48
          Start date: 7-5-12
          5'3"
          121lbs
          GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
          Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

I like raw almond butter without the skins, because they roast it too dark and I hate getting the skins caught in my teeth. That's impossible to get locally, so I end up either making it myself or going without.

Comment

Wow, $20 for almond butter!?!?!

There is a Hannaford (a standard box grocer, not a specialty store) I go to in VT that carries 4 brands of it....one costs $14 because it is local-made with a special kind of roasted almond (it is almost black in color). The brand I buy is $7 bucks for a normal sized jar. I had no idea this stuff was rare to find. That sucks
              "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I have to make mine, havent ever seen almond butter in a regular supermarket over here....

Comment

The honey bee colony deaths might have affected the supply of almonds. I know California specifically was concerned...

What makes most almond butter expensive is if it is organic or soaked/raw.
                  sigpic
                  Age 48
                  Start date: 7-5-12
                  5'3"
                  121lbs
                  GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                  Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
                    The honey bee colony deaths might have affected the supply of almonds. I know California specifically was concerned...
                    Almonds are available in all the supermarkets here at a reasonable price, so I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                      Almonds are available in all the supermarkets here at a reasonable price, so I doubt it.
                      Almonds at the health food store in my town are over $13 a pound. The nearest Trader Joe's is an hour and half away so when I happen to be in that area I buy at least 2 jars.

The price may have something to do with the bees; I noticed the price of almonds shot up this year. But then again all nuts have gotten very expensive.
                      Last edited by Urban Forager; 07-14-2013, 09:10 AM.
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post

Nothing wrong with the internet. Amazon sells a three pack (16oz jars) of Justin's Almond butter for $30 with free shipping. That works out to $10 per jar, which $3 more than what I pay at Whole foods, but Justin's probably tastes $3 better, and it is certainly better than the $20 per jar you are talking about.
                        My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

my regular grocer has it and so does my dairy farm. my trader joe's does too.

buy almonds and make it in your food pro. you can add a bit of coconut oil to make it smoother if necessary.

total trigger food for me, so i can't have it in my house.
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Make it, it's easy and cheaper.

Comment

That's surprising! I thought many of our almonds come from CA? Perhaps they are exporting too many. Google some local farms, maybe they sell it direct.
                              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X