Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it as hard for you to get almond butter in your town as it is in mine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't have a Sprout's. Every health food grocery we do have sells almond butter for at minimum $20 a jar. Trader Joe's almond butter is only $5 a jar making even the Justin's twice as expensive.

A few months ago the plant that makes the almond butter for Trader Joe's had some kind of contamination so they had to pull all the almond (and peanut) butter from the shelves. Then they went a few months before they could get almond butter again. That created some kind of hoarding mentality with people so now there never is enough of it.

I don't think we can make it ourselves. We don't have anything strong enough and we're not about to purchase a $700 machine to avoid buying $10 almond butter. It looks like we'll have to order off the internet at double the usual price or else use the almond butter machines at the health food store even though it doesn't come out quite the same as the Trader Joe's kind.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

when i need nut butter for a recipe i just use my food pro. it's a very old cuisinart, so not atomic-powered by any stretch.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Yes.

And that's because the nearest place almonds are grown are probably like spain or california. Do you have any idea of how much almonds will cost in Sweden? It was only around last year or so that we even started getting almond flour as a staple in health stores :/ I haven't even looked for almond butter, because I don't think the time is ready for such a great leap...

Comment

I live in California so it makes no sense for me to face such a shortage. I can buy a 5lb bag of raw almonds at Costco no problem.

Comment

It's at all of the grocery stores in my small (15,000) Midwest town. Organic costs $10-$15 while regular is as little as $6. Most stores will begin carrying an item if you just request it.

Comment

Why is almond butter cheaper in the Midwest than in California where almonds are grown?
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

erm...

supply and demand and stuff.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Yeah, the only reason we don't have any almond butter in my town is the demand side went into a panic after a brief shortage. Now people are behaving totally irrational about stupid almond butter.

Comment

Whole almonds and almond meal are out of control in my area ($15-20/lb). Branded snacks are the same as ever somehow.
                    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                      Whole almonds and almond meal are out of control in my area ($15-20/lb). Branded snacks are the same as ever somehow.
                      Wow, almonds about $12 a pound here.

Comment

Working...
                      X