Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here down with the War on Terror?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here down with the War on Terror?

and its manifold attached outrages?

"Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

If it's going to be as successful as the war on drugs...
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

And the war on cancer....

Comment

I love the smell of politics in the morning.
        Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I'm declaring war on morning politics too

Comment

That this happens is absolutely an outrage. I've been following this story a bit. What I don't understand, actually, just one of the many things I find contentious - is why Guantanamo is even still open? The detainees there have been cleared of crimes, rubber stamped "ok to go home" by the Justice Department, WTF? Why are we keeping people within some gray area of the law. They've not been charged, their cases have not been adjudicated, but we can't let them go. Terrorists have been successfully tried in US courts, so if someone has legitimate charges, let's put them on trial. A lawsuit was filed to stop the force feedings in a US court (forgive me, I don't recall where) and the judge wrote that her court and no other had jurisdiction over this case. That power was in the hands of the US Congress and the President.

Another thing I find contentious is that medical personnel are being required to carry out these procedures. Navy corpsmen. My husband is a sailor and we go to naval medical centers. It chills me to think there's some poor HM2 out there in Guantanamo, torturing someone like this and that HM2 is no different that the one that is giving my kids vaccines at their checkups. I'm sorry, I would probably go to captain's mast before I did this to another human being, dishonorable discharge be damned. Forty five days restriction? Yes please. Loss of rank and pay? Sure, I'll take it. Of course, there would be some other sailor to take my place, but I would have done what I could.

Comment

There have been a lot of Wars on Things lately, and all that seems to happen is an increase in those Things. However, if I declare a War on Wars on Things, then by previous history, Wars on Things will continue to get worse. I think what we need is a War on Wars on Wars on Things, which will increase the Wars on Wars on Things, hopefully effectively reducing the Wars on Things.

(I wish I could take credit for this, but it wasn't me and I don't remember where I heard it.)

Comment

War on terror, AKA, War against our freedoms.

War on drugs, war on poverty, yada, yada, yada. If the government declares a war against it, you can bet that a) it will be expensive b) it will fail and c) you will lose rights and freedoms during the pursuing of said war.
                Randal
                AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                  War on terror, AKA, War against our freedoms.

War on drugs, war on poverty, yada, yada, yada. If the government declares a war against it, you can bet that a) it will be expensive b) it will fail and c) you will lose rights and freedoms during the pursuing of said war.
                  I'm not even a libertarian and I agree with everything you just said there.

Comment

This war on terror is part of my employment plan. I am a cog in the great (by meaning vast) American war machine.

M.

Comment

The answer to this is all so obvious. We need a war on war.

Comment

I will try to explain WHY there is a "War on Terror" in as little time as possible.

1) About a century of American and European domination, exploitation, and political subterfuge in the Middle East. This created a lot of righteous indignation that was exploited by things listed below. I.E. Deliberate propping of the Shah, decades of support for the House of Saud, support of Saddam to help kill Iranians, on and on and on.
                        2) The spread of Wahhabi Islam throughout the Sunni middle east. This was done primarily by Saudi Arabia, and was supported by the US as a bulwark against communism. This has lead to Madrases being PAID for by Saudi to setup all over Pakistan, as well as setting up jihad recruitment centers throughout the Middle East. In creates a funnel of "terrorists", all backed by a gov we call an "ally", because we require their corruption to keep oil prices low and stabilized.....stopping terrorists = expensive oil. Pick one.
                        3) Iraq and Afghanistan created a landing point for all of these Saudi-backed recruits to come kill our soldiers in. Seeing as it is nearly impossible to "prove" their status, and we don't have POW camps anymore, Guantanamo is used.
                        4) The pres's initiative to CLOSE gitmo was blocked by republicans overwhelmingly. Look it up.
                        5) Essentially the "war on terror" is an apparatus to control the blowback caused by US actions oversees, many of which would cause dire consequences if reversed (I.E. embargo, like in the 70's). Seeing as no one will tolerate that, we are stuck fighting a semi-fake "war". It is not a war. It is a police action, all over the world, all the time....and in order to fight that you need a police state, which many are working very diligently to create

Done. Saved everyone a lot of BS.
                        "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Bill
                          TheyCallMeLazarus - you're a typical leftist liberal idiot. Instead of looking at the facts, you sympathize with evil. You make excuses for evil, which you have done above. We have a war on terror because there are muslim terrorist who want to kill infidels. They either want to kill you or rule you. Stop making excuses for them and stop blaming america.

Who struck the first blow? America or the Muslim terrorists? Why don't you study history you idiot and study the Barbary wars. Muslims were killing americans before americans had any interaction with them.

You're liberal scum.
                          There are no 'excuses for evil', however what you are doing is also an attempt at excusing evil. What are the facts, exactly? Have you ever actually read into what sort of religion Islam is? Don't be ignorant, and don't pull the 'they want to rule you or kill you' BS.

'Who struck the first blow?' Really? If it was a matter of returning strikes, the world would be in a permanent state of chaos. I believe the blow you're referring to is 9/11, which, if you ask any true Muslim, is 100% wrong. I would say if you ask any human in their right minds, but I'm sure you'd pull the 'oh they aren't in their right minds'.

Maybe you should learn not to judge a whole religion based on a number of people who know nothing of the religion. Just because someone says they're a Muslim and says they're doing something in it's name doesn't mean that said religion condones it. Don't make silly statements like 'they want to kill you or rule you'.

Don't limit the term 'terrorism' to Muslims. All those shootings at schools and colleges are terrorism. That movie theatre shooting is terrorism.

And before you say I'm blaming America as well, I'm not. It's just politics.

P.S Rather than calling someone scum, you might want to try and have a discussion and prove your point. The world isn't actually in black and white.
                          Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

Comment

Well, all this is going downhill fast.

If you want to get to the root of who struck what first blow, my guess is with Russia and their whole invasion of Afghanistan back in '79. But, the roots probably go further back than that. More important is that we don't start laying the L and C words down on each other. That's harsh, and we're all supposed to be friends here.

M.

Comment

Ahh....sometimes these neocon Bots just make it too easy.

I think that was the first time in my life that anyone who actually knows me (rather than a stranger making juvenile comments on a forum) has called me a liberal. Seeing as I ran part of the ground campaign in NH for Ron Paul last year, it comes as quite a surprise that I am now a liberal.

With that said, being called that by Right-wing-industrial-complex (RWIC's, for short) lemmings is something to be proud of, a badge of honor....because the interesting part is that for these corporate media fed charlatans, 99.9999% of the world is scum too. Seeing as 85% of the our own country disagree with them, as well as anyone from pretty much any other country, it is not exactly a select club to be "scum" to these cretins. For them, there are only "approved" sources of information. Fox news, radio, websites, only information from these sources is to be trusted. The rest is from the cockroaches. I like being called scum, if that is our barometer Please say it again.

Now....for the adults in the discussion....

Many parts of the muslim world have become infected with Wahhabi Islam. That was promulgated mostly by Saudi since the 70's. They are a Sunni sect, and they are unique mostly in ONE trait: They believe that THEY, and they alone, are the true interpretation of the faith. Everyone else is not misguided, to be influenced, nothing of the sort....everyone else, other Muslims, leaders that support them, the West, are "scum", are cockroaches, and must be eliminated. Muslims have been at war with one another for centuries, but in the past 30 years the fanatics have gotten much worse.

Like our lovely RWIC crown in the US, they have their own everything in Muslim countries. Their own news, their own newspapers, their own colors (green on everything), and their own parts of town. They are a brand, the Wahhabi sect. They make videos with chanting in the background, are fond of beheading, other swell stuff....it is all basic in-group versus out-group, just like some in our own country. Only THEY are the true ones. Only THEY are worthy. It is one of our fundamental weaknesses as a species: The need to create these groups.

I would be the first to say that these people, and many of the countries they now control, are completely insane religious lunatics. There is no negotiating with them. I have been to Saudi about 6 years ago and it was appalling. It is a backward place. I saw a man nearly beat a woman to death (presumably his wife) on a sidewalk with no one much caring. It is poisoned thinking in those places. I don't believe that we as a country should ever hold people without charges, without trial, indefinitely. I don't believe that makes me a pacifist.

But why are they attacking the US and not, say Finland or Kenya? And why now? What changed? Well, two things came together: Wahabbism (which we did help fund as the lesser of two evils) and American/Western policy. That is not "blame". That is just reality. That is why the evil came ten years ago and not 100. It is blowback. The CIA named it so.

Side note: Gitmo was never a priority to anyone in the pres 1st term and he showed no principle on it, as no one else did either. Last month the republican house passed a measure that explicitly prevents its closure, which is what I was referring to.
                              House votes to block Obama plan to close Guantanamo | Reuters

I end with this:
                              “Why of course the people don't want war. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” - Hermann Goering, Nazi war criminal, at the Nuremburg trials

Is this not what we just saw?
                              Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 07-13-2013, 07:54 PM.
                              "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Working...
                              X