Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If something doesn't rot or mold you probably shouldn't eat it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If something doesn't rot or mold you probably shouldn't eat it.

If you can't decide whether you should eat something or not this is a good question to ask. Also ask yourself does this food item get nasty and smelly if it's left out at room temperature? If the answer is yes then you can decide if it fits into your primal diet. If the answer is no then IMO, it hardly matters whether you can somehow justify it being primal. If mold and insects won't eat it neither will I.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Coconut oil?

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

Nuts are stable at room temperature...

Comment

There are lots of things the DO mold and rot at room temperature that I won't eat (tree bark, grass, manure etc). There are things that are SUPPOSED to mold at room temp that are delicious...(ie fermented dried sausages, cheeses) I'm not sure mold/rot is a good criteria for deciding if a "food" is good or not.....

Comment

I keep my eggs at room temperature.

Comment

I keep my olive oil and ghee at room temperature.

Comment

mmmmm, tea, mmmmmm.
              “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
              Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

I understand what you're saying, but this isn't something that holds up to casual statements.

M.

Comment

There are of course exceptions (mainly oils) but it's a good starting point and rules out a lot of questionable foods.

Btw eggs will eventually go bad if left in a warm place (I have chickens that have laid eggs in out of the way places) and nuts with just a little moisture will mold quickly.

Is this scientific? Absolutely not! But I encourage the curious to get a some McDonalds french fries and a twinkie (unwrapped) and see how long it takes to rot. Perhaps there is a correlation between the rate of rot and the nutrient value of the item in question, it's just a theory.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I get what you're saying Urban Forager, and in some ways I think I unconsciously use the same criteria.

Oils will go rancid - they may take longer than a piece of meat, but if you don't use them up in a timely manner, and you have a sensitive nose, you'll notice the day they're no longer fresh.

Another test is the bug or animal test. Put some butter and some margarine outdoors in separate places, and see what's left the next day. This may not work if you live near an exuberant large dog as they have been known to swallow small toys, and may find margarine to be a delicacy.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

My dogs aren't a very good judge of what's edible; they're easily influenced by advertizing, if I look like I'm enjoying eating something they will give it a try. I think they would at least try a Mc D french fry or a twinkie, but probably not a skittle.

Comment

just like humans, dogs like sweets. i bet they'd eat some skittles.

have also known dogs to eat shoes, money, rocks, pantyhose, soap and cat poop. so mebbe not the litmus paper for deciding if something is edible.
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Hey Forager!

I have said roughly the same thing to my kids as a rule of thumb for years, just kinda in reverse: bugs and mold go for real food the fastest.

Now watch someone say that ants will carry off a bitten-off jellybean just as quickly as they would a bit of meat...
                          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                            just like humans, dogs like sweets. i bet they'd eat some skittles.

have also known dogs to eat shoes, money, rocks, pantyhose, soap and cat poop. so mebbe not the litmus paper for deciding if something is edible.
                            Yup. My friend does rescue Shepherds, and hers have been in surgery for pantyhose. She also had to take extraordinary measures to protect the daily mail at one point. And my BIL's huskies have eaten and subsequently pooped loose Christmas tree tinsel - makes the piles all sparkly... very pretty lawn deco around the holidays!
                            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

HA! sparkly poop.

awesome and also gross.
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X