Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you remember to exercise your brain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its in the rule book- don't tell me you've never read it!
    Haha a friend gave me a copy of a book called, "Everything Men Know About Women" or something.

It has a sweet cover and reviews on the back, and looks legit, but is in fact just 200 blank pages.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Jefgrry
        play freecell and research a topic of interest
        well i'm sorry (not) my comment irritated you. perhaps giving your reasons why might be helpful.
        There are many positive ways to increase your post count but this isn't one of them
        When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
        27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
        new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Brain games are fun, but they don't make you smarter or help you stay smart if you're aging. Just sayin'...

Mark's idea totally works along the lines of staying busy by learning and being creative.

Comment

Starting a PhD, huh? I have one, too. Remember that perserverance is key, and more important to finishing than intelligence (but more of the latter certainly helps). And when you feel like you are hopelessly incompetent and just barely hiding it from your advisor, remember that all the other grad students feel that way too but won't talk about it.

What field are you in? I do surficial processes geology in marshes and esutaries. I.e. mud, hence the forum name.

Comment

Hee!

Thanks for the comments, don't worry, I'm well aware of PhD-Hell as several of my friends and colleagues have been through it. I'm currently a lecturer and academic advisor to 3 universities, so its about time I took the step to the next level but it requires my full time attention - so change of career and become what my brother in law refers to as a 'professional student!' I have watched a colleague complete his PhD part time over the last 6 years and I have seen him suffer first hand and I knew that wasn't the approach for me! He submitted his thesis a few weeks ago and will find out on Monday (15.07.13) if he has been successful.

My area of research is the use of high-end, emergent technologies such as remote sensing and sensor arrays to aid the environmental management - so actually not a million miles away from your subject area. My main interests are in trees and associated vegetation.
              Fortune Favours the Brave

I can only talk from my acquired knowledge and experiences. You may have a different view or experience and I will respect that. Please respect mine.

Comment

There's a Nintendo DS game called Brain Age that's really good for exercising your brain. My husband used to play it a lot (he has a bad memory and concentration issues and figured it'd help--I think it did somewhat), and got me hooked on it for awhile.
                My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                (Red Dwarf)

Comment

I like to play chess against my computer. It usually ends like this, though.

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

I've been trying to learn French for about 6 years now. I don't study as much as I should, but I am hoping it helps my brain in the long run.
                    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Dans ce cas, vous devez déménager en France. Il est plus facile d'apprendre une langue avec la méthode d'immersion totale.

Comment

Working...
                      X