No announcement yet.

Is anyone raising rabbits for meat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misabi, your story gave me a good chuckle.

Flopsie, Mopsie, and Cottontail - it's what's for dinner!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I usually name my animals after the meals they will be going into.
      I.E.

Goat's name = Gouda (she makes cheese, although not that kind)
      Turkeys = Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and my old timers (I keep the docile ones for pets) Margie, Flax, and Saigon (long story)
      Chickens = all are named after egg or meat dishes....Quiche, Scrambler, Sunny-side, Alfredo, etc.
      Rabbits are the best, because honestly I have much less attachment to them. Rabbits don't cuddle. They like to have sex with each other and eat. That is their universe Plus mine are not particularly cute.
      ---- Stewy, Vegg, Braise, Spit (he is mean as hell, and I plan on an open fire), Carbonera (with bacon!), Hate (he kills baby rabbits for no reason) on down the list.

I am sorry if this sounds morbid to some....they have great lives, and they live much longer than their counterparts in industrial raising. In those places they are not shown the same kind of respect to even have names.

If you are going to start though, rabbits are the way. The rest are much more attachable.
      "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
        I usually name my animals after the meals they will be going into.
        I.E.

Goat's name = Gouda (she makes cheese, although not that kind)
        Turkeys = Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and my old timers (I keep the docile ones for pets) Margie, Flax, and Saigon (long story)
        Chickens = all are named after egg or meat dishes....Quiche, Scrambler, Sunny-side, Alfredo, etc.
        Rabbits are the best, because honestly I have much less attachment to them. Rabbits don't cuddle. They like to have sex with each other and eat. That is their universe Plus mine are not particularly cute.
        ---- Stewy, Vegg, Braise, Spit (he is mean as hell, and I plan on an open fire), Carbonera (with bacon!), Hate (he kills baby rabbits for no reason) on down the list.

I am sorry if this sounds morbid to some....they have great lives, and they live much longer than their counterparts in industrial raising. In those places they are not shown the same kind of respect to even have names.

If you are going to start though, rabbits are the way. The rest are much more attachable.
        Not morbid at all - I hope you'll post pics of Spit when he becomes supper. And I'm sure they live better lives. I once was going to buy a rabbit from a local grocer, then went online to see how they live in mass production. No 2x3 cages for these guys - more like 2x2 cages for two animals, stacked on top of each other so the lower ones got shat upon. Needless to say, I didn't buy the rabbit. I obviously have no issues with eating animals, but I want to eat animals that have been treated with a modicum of respect.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

All rabbits are made of meat, it can be cheaper to learn with "any old bunny" than splash out of specific breeds - depends what's local to you. Also "meat mutts" can do better on weeds and scraps; NZWs need more feeding to get up to weight quickly. Wire floored cages seem to be the norm in America, though Polyface Farms have a good pastured set-up. Consider temperatures - dry cold is fine, wet is a killer, heat is not good. Beware flystrike in hot weather especially. Consider predators, including things as small as rats and mice. Consider how you'll handle the manure and bedding waste. Look up the "broomstick" technique for dispatching, and have a look at tanning the hides too.

Comment

ok i've seriously started looking into rabbit homes and runs this morning.

I believe i'll need 3, 1 for dad, 1 for mum and young and 1 for weaned young

the first two can be not especially large (will definitely include grassy area) but the weaner enclosure will have a sizeable grass/exercise run

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
              All rabbits are made of meat, it can be cheaper to learn with "any old bunny" than splash out of specific breeds - depends what's local to you. Also "meat mutts" can do better on weeds and scraps; NZWs need more feeding to get up to weight quickly. Wire floored cages seem to be the norm in America, though Polyface Farms have a good pastured set-up. Consider temperatures - dry cold is fine, wet is a killer, heat is not good. Beware flystrike in hot weather especially. Consider predators, including things as small as rats and mice. Consider how you'll handle the manure and bedding waste. Look up the "broomstick" technique for dispatching, and have a look at tanning the hides too.
              Thank you! I was hoping I'd get some good advice here, and I have.

B*tch-lite

Comment

I am ethically opposed to this

Comment

I have a pretty big problem with huge talking rabbits too, that just take everyone's carrots and serve no purpose but to mutter smart-ass comments all the time. Damn freeloaders. Get a job deadbeats.
                  "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                    I have a pretty big problem with huge talking rabbits too, that just take everyone's carrots and serve no purpose but to mutter smart-ass comments all the time. Damn freeloaders. Get a job deadbeats.

Ehh...what ya shootin' at, Doc?

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post

Ehh...what ya shootin' at, Doc?
                      eh... probably not a Doc... by Geneva Convention, Doc's are supposed to be non-combatants

Comment

Question1; If you keep rabbits on pasture in some kind of enclosure, how the hell to you keep them from burrowing their way out to freedom?

Question 2; What do you call a man with a rabbit up his arse?
                        You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

I'm in the process of getting an allotment and the thought of keeping rabbits hadn't crossed my mind however now it would seem a good steeping stone to also keeping chickens as by the looks of it the enclosures and care seem very similar.

Rabbit curry, come at me bro!

Comment

Question 2; What do you call a man with a rabbit up his arse?

Answer: Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
                              Question1; If you keep rabbits on pasture in some kind of enclosure, how the hell to you keep them from burrowing their way out to freedom?
                              I think the idea is that if they have a sanctuary in their enclosure (ie. a hutch, hut, house, whatever you call it), that have a safe place to live so won't need to burrow, if you keep them well fed they shouldn't need to escape to search for food.
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Anyone in Oz keep rabbits? Specifically Tasmania? I have a friend who wants to, but is worried about calici etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X