No announcement yet.

Barbie vs Barbie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I laughed out loud when I discovered that I have the right proportions for a plus model (except for being only 5'8"). It makes sense to me that a 12/14 would be used for plus clothing. The fashion people want a clothes hangar to show off the clothes to best effect, hence the ultra-skinny girls for junior and misses sizes. A 12/14 woman IS a clothes hangar relative to 16+ clothes. Not to say I disagree with the effect the media coverage has on women's self esteem, because I don't, but the use of 12/14 women and plus models makes sense to me.

The real-size Barbie reminds me of 1) Skipper from the 1980's, 2) Cyndi, my first Barbie-ish doll, and 3) Darcy, my second. Mom bought these over Barbie on purpose. Darcy was actually quite muscular, IIRC. We used her and the Shaun Cassidy doll as the bad guys.

Comment

Oooh. Shaun Cassidy. Dreamy....

I hear often just keep working out, keep lifting, keep dieting, keep sprinting, and eventually you'll have Staci's superhero body. It all comes down to "having the body."

I have grown weary of the cult of low body fat | Fit and Feminist
      The signifier – the lean body – has become the ultimate goal, while the signified – physical fitness – has become of secondary importance.
      Does possessing the signified count for anything if you don't possess the signifier?
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

So Co goes does down just a bit too easy....bit too sweat.

Anyhow I don't look like GI Joe, He-Man, or the ThunderCats and you dont see me throwing a hissy fit. Dolls are fantasy. If you were not taught that blame your parents not the doll.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          So Co goes does down just a bit too easy....bit too sweat.

Anyhow I don't look like GI Joe, He-Man, or the ThunderCats and you dont see me throwing a hissy fit. Dolls are fantasy. If you were not taught that blame your parents not the doll.
          I look kinda like Snarf.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I have two minor observations?

1) Why do women feel such a need to tell MEN what is "attractive"? It's a constant "SEE!!! This woman looks GREAT!!!" And we are all supposed to smile and nod. The whole thing seems preposterous to me. You don't see men saying "No, Mathew McConahey is NOT hot! This huge muscle bound brick shithouse of a man is hot! (Sub in skinny computer geek guy, etc) It always drove me insane....I'd be out with female friends and a very attractive woman comes in...and I can time it like clockwork. "Wow, she looks starving." or "She looks like she's 16"....and of course I never say anything. Men never do.

But what we are thinking is "No. She is hot. It's ok. Calm down." I mean, let us be the judge of that, maybe? For some guys a rail-thin fashion model "thigh gap" chick is hot. For others they want them to look like powerlifters. Let us have a preference. It comes off as incredibly compensatory every time I see an article (written by women, for women) that is about how so and so is attractive. Sorry, you wouldn't know unless you bat for the other team. It's ok. It's biology

2) Women worship at the alter of the beautiful woman more than men do....I remember a girlfriend that got a bunch of women's magazines. I am talking Cosmo, Shape, Women's health....and I always found it odd how there were more hot women in revealing clothes in HER magazines than mine. Men's health has a few, maybe 2-3 pics per issue. A women's mag it is every page. TV shows that are habitually for women show gorgeous women in the commercials, for men's shows it's boner pills, beer, trucks, and snack food. (I realized this while being forced to watch Kim Kardashian's show months ago. God am I glad I have no TV!) I think there is a lot of marketing underpinning all of this, mixed with a lot of antiquated garbage that is inherently anti-feminism that produces this fact....that our culture puts the beautiful woman as something akin to a deity....I have thought that before: That if aliens came and spied on our planet, they would assume our God was a gorgeous, thin woman. Pictures of her are EVERYWHERE!!!

That is why my female friends always react that way; because in a way, God just came into the ice cream shop. Everyone stares. This person that came in has "The Commodity", and everyone has to respond to it. It's really rather strange when you look at it in the abstract...it's like how 100 years ago the deity was "The Man of Wealth". Every man was striving to be a Carnagie, a Rockefeller, a Morgan...and when one of THOSE men came into a room, everyone responded. God had just come in. The thing their culture worshiped just came in for a coffee....I realize this is somewhat exaggerated, but it is not very much so, and that is the scary part.

Which is why I have one big rule in dating: If you come to my home to hangout, no makeup can be worn. I want to see the real person
            Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 07-04-2013, 08:49 PM.
            "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

The deity concept is interesting.....the odd thing about our culture is that the common people aspire to become the deity. In most cultures that worship deities the deity is considered an ideal form that is beyond the reach of mortals. Advertising promotes the idea that we can all, if we put some effort into it, achieve that level of beauty. Since of course that isn't possible for the vast majority of women the result is discontent. Discontent sells, there's always a product out there that could be purchased that might bring you closer to being seen as desirable. Men are also sold an unattainable ideal, although theirs may not be as focused on visual.

The bottom line is that fantasy and discontent sells. We do not have to buy into that way of thinking. Do something radical: learn to love yourself for the way you are and teach your children to do the same.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                Anyhow I don't look like GI Joe, He-Man, or the ThunderCats and you dont see me throwing a hissy fit.
                Don't you know a man being rich is like a woman being pretty?

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                This person that came in has "The Commodity",
                Exactly. A woman's appearance is her wealth. It's the ticket to everything. You can have your pick of a man, perhaps get one that makes a lot of money and thus move up in life. You have an edge in job interviews so you can get a better job and perhaps move up in life. When you are pretty, strangers treat you well and you have nicer interactions with people, get better deals when you shop, have more people smile at you throughout the day.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

why is the 'realistic' barbie so short?
                  When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                  27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                  new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Is she supposed to be mexican or something? She has a ninja turtle-like squatness
                    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
                      Is she supposed to be mexican or something? She has a ninja turtle-like squatness
                      the original barbie is supposedly 69" (5'8") the realistic one must be a good few inches shorter
                      When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                      27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                      new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

I am exactly the same height as Barbie (if she were a real person)! I had a Barbie as a girl, frankly, the only thing I want is all her cool sh*t!!! Especially the Jeep (which Jeep does have a pink and black Barbie Edition).

I agree with the posters about the whole body image thing where its the media and monster moms who make girls feel bad about themselves. I am tall and fat (205 +/-), but never had trouble getting a man (even at over 300 lbs. I met and married my hubby).

The axiom, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, is true. Maybe those who think that Barbie is the ideal, should work more on their personality (that Ukrainian woman is just freaky looking!), rather than worry about perky, plastic boobs and a non-existent vag. Just sayin"....

Comment

Originally posted by CarbDodger View Post
                          the original barbie is supposedly 69" (5'8") the realistic one must be a good few inches shorter
                          69" is 5'9"... This is the height I am, and I find that I am very often taller than most of the women I'm around, though not all of them. It's not really very often that I run into a woman taller than myself and I almost always look at her feet to check for heels since I wear VFF's, just out of odd habit.

5'9" is also the average height for men. I'm regularly as tall as or a bit taller than many men as well.

The average female height is 64" or 5'4"... which is considerably shorter than 5'9"...
                          I imagine this played a part in making the "realistic barbie" more "realistic".
                          Last edited by cori93437; 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I assume that's a typo for "average female height is 64" or 5'4""

I didn't realize the average men's height was so "short". I guess I am surrounded by a lot of tall people.
                            Last edited by namelesswonder; 07-05-2013, 12:18 PM.
                            Depression Lies

Comment

Busted .... typo!

I'll be fixin' it!

Guy avg. height is really like 5'9.4"... I left off the .4 because I was all like .4 is useless.

What is your height.
                              At 5'9" it's always been very noticeable to me that I'm stuck in the middle where men are concerned. LOTS of guys are my height or shorter. For many years I allowed this to narrow the dating pool by 50% because I was silly and childish. Then I got over it and found an awesome guy who happens to be shorter than me.
                              Last edited by cori93437; 07-05-2013, 12:06 PM.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I'm 5'6", usually taller than most women around me. There are only a couple women taller than me in my office. Hulky is 5'8" and thinks he's short (we have a lot of tall friends and his dad is 6'2"), but he's got funny proportions. Seated, he is the same height as someone who is at least 6', but if we sit with our backs against a wall & legs extended, my legs are longer.

Since I'm usually at least as tall as but mostly shorter than men, I don't really notice if they're "tall or short".
                                Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                                X