Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article on various causes of obesity world-wide

David Berreby

Lots of causes including: industrial chemicals, light at night, 'things that alter the body’s fat metabolism', ‘thermoneutral zones’, viruses, bacteria, the history of capitalism and a lot more. It's an interesting read.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

SB, this is a fascinating article, I'm reading it a little at time so it may take me awhile to get through it. So far it looks like just about everything in our contemporary culture is converging to make us fat. Even 50 years ago things were radically different, most people didn't have AC, stores were not open 24/7, not to mention all the franken foods and chemicals that are ubiquitous.

Back to reading.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the read

Comment

I lived overseas for a few years (very enlightening experience) in North Africa. The weirdest thing I saw was overweight poor people. After visiting many a homes I figured out what it was. All the fat folks used corn oil and margarine. Both being fairly new to them, as before it was just olive oil or butter. Now corn oil and margarine are cheap, so much so that they have left butter alone and olive oil is merely for medicinal purposes. Sad really, margarine is been given the "healthy" title as well as corn oil. It's like my moms generation all over again. Salt and animal products are all considered "fattening". The elders over there are dumbfounded at how fat everyone is getting, and the doctors think its just the new sugary foods. whenever I would visit a home and find thin people I asked if they used corn oil or margarine, and funny, they all said not really. Reasons? Tastes funny, or smells bad. Lol

Comment

Interesting reading. Thanks sb!
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by umm7 View Post
            I lived overseas for a few years (very enlightening experience) in North Africa. The weirdest thing I saw was overweight poor people. After visiting many a homes I figured out what it was. All the fat folks used corn oil and margarine.

Things have not changed much at least in Egypt umm7. Corn oil is still the usual cooking oil here and more and more processed foods are being eaten. Even out in the middle of nowhere where I work and live, there is a KFC and a Pizza Hut. And to make things work, all the fast-food places in Cairo deliver. You no longer have to get your fat ass out of a chair and at least waddle down to your car and back, they will deliver your McPuke to your door!

While the overall levels of obesity here is not what it is in the USA, they are not that far behind I think.
            Randal
            AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
            Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
            http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Texas grok, very sad indeed. I'm guessing when GMOs are allowed into Egypt it will get much worse. Algeria, where I was (in the South were the oil fields are) it's also banned but I'm guessing won't stay that way.

Comment

Interesting article. We should all sleep in tents in our backyards or vacant lots, learn about weeds, and forage the healthy ones as soon as we wake up.
                "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

But the weeds will be all covered in industrial waste from air pollution.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I don't see the link to the article. ???
                    "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

Comment

Click the name David

Comment

Thanks.
                        "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          Yeah! So we'll wash them with vegetable soap. But that's still not enough. I've often wondered if my returned health on PB is mostly about not eating all the added chemicals in foods, not really which foods we choose to eat, just how 'pure' they are.
                          "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I just read this article and is an excellent read. It has the premise of asking why have lab animals, the most tightly controlled animals on the planet when it comes to diet, have become fatter over the last few decades. And moves on without mentioning ancestral health to some hypotheses that chime remarkably with Primal living:

"if the problem isn’t the number of calories but rather biochemical influences on the body’s fat-making and fat-storage processes, then sheer quantity of food or drink are not the all-controlling determinants of weight gain. If candy’s chemistry tilts you toward fat, then the fact that you eat it at all may be as important as the amount of it you consume.

More importantly, ‘things that alter the body’s fat metabolism’ is a much wider category than food. Sleeplessness and stress, for instance, have been linked to disturbances in the effects of leptin, the hormone that tells the brain that the body has had enough to eat. What other factors might be at work? Viruses, bacteria and industrial chemicals have all entered the sights of obesity research. So have such aspects of modern life as electric light, heat and air conditioning. All of these have been proposed, with some evidence, as direct causes of weight gain: the line of reasoning is not that stress causes you to eat more, but rather that it causes you to gain weight by directly altering the activities of your cells. If some or all of these factors are indeed contributing to the worldwide fattening trend, then the thermodynamic model is wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              You're right. Great article. Goes to show no one knows what's going on food-wise. PubMed.gov amazes me. 1,000,000 articles per year. If you read, studies, and thoroughly considered 2 per day, you'd be 500,000 articles behind in one year. You can search for any 1 food, chemical, substrate, etc., and find articles proving both true and false. It's hopeless. I've really lost faith and hope in medical science. But something(s) are certainly making us all fatter with smaller brains and shorter lifespans.

Comment

Working...
                              X