Primal Blueprint The Movie: Mixed Feelings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Blueprint The Movie: Mixed Feelings

I have seen the trailer for Primal Blueprint The Movie. Every time Mark rolls something like this out, I tend to cringe. Not unlike the 21 Day Total Body Transformation, which looks like it belongs on a shelf at the check out line of your local K-Mart, I find it to be a big sellout move.

The other issue is that when I look at the food system, I don't want "Primal" or "Paleo" to get too popular or well-known. I want government control and regulation of all parts of the food system reduced, which would be aided by more public information. However, I would like to keep this lifestyle a well-kept secret and out of popular-culture. Does anyone else share the same sentiments?

I find his books cringe-worthy. That is why I never bought them. I preferred the more calm and reasoned styles of Loren Cordain and Mike Eades (I found Robb Wolf to be a little cringe-worthy, too.) The super optimistic, breathless, "salesman"-like, diet book style of writing is not my thing. But thousands of people LOVE Mark's style so who am I to argue with something he wants to do.

I do think he should make his cavemen look less like the car insurance commercial cavemen.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I agree - there is not enough good food to go around. When the farms I get stuff from start having waiting lists.. these good people are going to start looking at their sustainable farms as money making ventures instead of valuable (to me) community services.

Comment

Originally posted by slowcooker View Post
        I agree - there is not enough good food to go around. When the farms I get stuff from start having waiting lists.. these good people are going to start looking at their sustainable farms as money making ventures instead of valuable (to me) community services.
        Wait, you guys are against increased demand for sustainably farmed food? Do you have any idea how either markets or planets work?!?
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

From a different POV, if sustainable farms make a living for those who run them, more people will go into organic farming and raising healthy animals. IOW, often, if a business has a line around the block, someone will be smart enough to open another one nearby.

There's plenty of good food around. You might have to find a source that sells NZealand beef, but it's out there.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Wait, you guys are against increased demand for sustainably farmed food? Do you have any idea how either markets or planets work?!?
            Get your logic out of here dammit. We are hating things.
            The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              LOL! I have to admit that I don't know how planets work, though I have a teeny inkling about markets.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                LOL! I have to admit that I don't know how planets work, though I have a teeny inkling about markets.
                Well, the planet I live on is kinda round and depends on topsoil to sustain life. Topsoil is destroyed by monocropping and can be built at an incredible rate by people like Joel Salatin utilizing perennial polyculture (Joel is growing topsoil on his farm in Virginia at the rate of an inch a year. We're talking about an effectively non-renewable resource that normally grows at a fraction of a fraction of that pace, like 1/16th of an inch every 50 years).

That's just one part of it. But wishing everyone else continue eating not like us will lead to basically complete destruction when the topsoil or the oil runs out. Bad news.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I was under the impression that more people would get into farming and selling if they could guarantee that people would buy from them, and not from cheaper, big chain supermarkets.

Originally posted by aliphian View Post
                  Get your logic out of here dammit. We are hating things.
                  Haha! I like you.
                  "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                    Haha! I like you.
                    You had me at "Bill Hicks".
                    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

I admit to knowing more than most about sustainable agriculture as a former Marketing Facilitator for Sustainable Agriculture. I imagine a few bad scenarios happening if this gets too popular. First, more regulation against small farmers. FYI, there is ALREADY a prohibitive amount of state and federal regulation working against small farmers (i.e. milk, cured food, tax laws, zoning laws, health codes, etc., etc.). Second, popularity could move away from the small sustainable food sellers (grass-fed, organic, sustainable, bio-dynamic, etc.) to some sort of watered down mass-scale certification program which hurts the ability of the little guy to compete.

I see demand outstripping supply of land and natural resources very quickly, leading to higher prices and lower standards just like many things that get popular (i.e. USDA organic, etc). I really believe the most sustainable food supply relies on trust and human relationships which is not possible on a large scale. I imagine what we will get if 5x the amount of people are demanding even conventional beef, for example. We could see $10/lb* corn fed beef pretty quickly (*I just made this number up). I imagine the price of farm-land going up as well, which makes it harder for people to move towards homesteading and small farms, which I believe is the more-sustainable route.

My gut tells me the concept some people in the "movement" have that more people getting on board with the paleo diet, better agriculture practices, and fresh food which increases standards, availability, and accountability is unrealistic and likely incorrect.

Am I just being negative? Do you guys really trust the agro-industrio-gov-complex to do the right thing?
                      Last edited by PeaceCorpsCaveMan; 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I doubt it's going to happen so quickly that markets collapse and CAFO meat prices double. We've got one in nine families on food stamps, so I'm assuming about 11% of the population can't switch to better sources of food, especially meat, even if they wanted to. We've got the affluent, many of whom have probably been eating pretty good quality food all along. Veggies and old hippies went organic forty years ago. And we have a whole bunch of people who will never give up the convenience of drive through food no matter what you tell them.

From here: Agricultural Marketing Service - Farmers Market Growth

So while farmers markets are thriving and are actually a sector that continues to thrive even in a crap economy, they probably haven't put a dent in major grocery chains.

It will be a wonderful time when all food is grown in a healthful manner, but it's most likely not going to happen overnight - even with movies and books.

B*tch-lite

Comment

What we have is a result of our country's agricultural policy. The cheap food is what is subsidized. I wonder if values will change in my lifetime. But if they did, it would not be a complicated thing for the government to subsidize something different, or to vary the value of food stamps based on the nutrition of the food that was purchased.

Food stamps are a major agricultural subsidy. They aren't managed to promote nutrition, but they could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake
                            Dude! At this rate his children will be farming underground!
                            Nothing like a little humus humor.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              From a different POV, if sustainable farms make a living for those who run them, more people will go into organic farming and raising healthy animals. IOW, often, if a business has a line around the block, someone will be smart enough to open another one nearby.

There's plenty of good food around. You might have to find a source that sells NZealand beef, but it's out there.
                              I agree with this.

The sustainable farms that do best tend to grow to expand their offerings which provides more opportunities and food diversity. Good stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X