No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint The Movie: Mixed Feelings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, I'm trying to set up a local farmers market here, and what I discovered is that it could be quite profitable for me -- the person managing the darn thing. I do it as a community service, but hey, I can make extra cash. Sweet.

Comment

I like food movies so I am a bit biased. Also, I love Mark's writing style because it's fun. I'm in Michigan so I can't imagine not having enough farmland. In fact, I agree that our values as a country are not going to change quickly enough for a movement toward sustainable farming to be detrimental. I see it as being for people who can afford it (unfortunately) and not for the masses. I also agree that should our values shift, the government can subsidize something different. I think that this way of thinking, eating, and living is so far from the mainstream that there's really not a danger of it becoming mainstream before it's time. I used to be vegan (which is really now mainstream) and find that CW is infiltrating that movement. I considered myself pretty knowledgeable about food issues and I had never heard of Paleo/Primal. LOL. I'm loving it but I can't imagine the masses loving it too much for now.
      "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
        I agree with this.

The sustainable farms that do best tend to grow to expand their offerings which provides more opportunities and food diversity. Good stuff!
        Yup. That's what I was getting at with my comment about understanding markets. And the building topsoil/restoring land on its way to desertification stuff was what I was getting at with the comment about understanding planets.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I disagree with the idea that says "No movies or publicity. We will get too powerful and they will adulterate the movement."

I definitely think this WOULD happen, because it is an inevitability. A bigger tent means some people selling in there aren't as true blue as you'd want them to be, and the big corporations would indeed come in. With that all said, I see that as preferable to the current situation, because it might help to attack one of our biggest problems as a country, and change the food system in the process.

In the local/paleo/sustainable movement, people complain that the gov is run by ConAgra, Monsanto, or other multi-nationals, keeping the current model of monoculture and subsidy in place....well, I got news for you. That is what everyone thinks, in every industry. Hardware stores complain that the gov makes them incapable of competing with Home Depot or Lowe's. Local phone companies have no chance against ATT or Verizon. Walmart crushes every small business within 30 miles....all out of gov advantage, and well, that all has a cost outside of pure economics. The fact that some have to buy REAL beef off the internet and pay $9 a pound for it is just our own particular external cost. Other groups have theirs.

Which is why Mark could make the best movie in the history of man and it won't make a bit of difference. The big guns against OUR particular movement would rise up to lie, distort, and exaggerate it into marginality....just like they do to everyone else, in other movements. Trust me, we are in no danger of threatening anyone. We will never not be underdogs. We are not going to be in the masses. Veganism has a few MNC's using its FrankenWheat, but its by no means mainstream.

Here is why we are no threat whatsoever:
          Multi-nationals of all kinds, including in the food industry, run the government. They get to write the laws in everything. We have no chance. That is grim, but it is reality.(If you doubt that, please read the farm bill just passed. Then go lookup who wrote it and who they work for. Then do it for the telecom bill from last fall. Same pattern everywhere) We will be the counter-culture for a very long time. If that ever changes, it would mean the unseating of the real owners of the country. The fact that grass-fed beef would be easier to get would be the most minor of life's changes....

So don't fret. There is not going to be any mass movement for pastured beef, humane animal practices, or any of the like. The owners don't want that, so it will not happen. Simple. All of this talk about using too much land, water, etc, is not going to happen. It would be really nice if THOSE were the problems we concerned ourselves with. "Golly, where do we graze all of this humanely raised grass-fed beef?" I'd think I woke up as the mayor in heaven

The best you can do is be in one of the few pockets of the country where, through enormous effort, every industry isn't in the stranglehold of the multi-nationals, be that in food production or telephone or coffee shops.

I applaud anything that pushes back to that Goliath, regardless of style.
          "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

It looks lame, but if it helps make more people interested in a healthier lifestyle then I see no problem with it.

Comment

I'm not against a documentary, but it could go horribly wrong, really shit, and that could be a huge blow to the ancestral health scene. It could be made to look like a joke.

I would rather see a serious docu made, like the BBC's Horizon science documentary series.

Comment

Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
                I'm not against a documentary, but it could go horribly wrong, really shit, and that could be a huge blow to the ancestral health scene. It could be made to look like a joke.
                It'll be alright, it didn't look like Mark was taking a page out of the PETA playbook.

Comment

If it makes any of you feel better, I eat standard meat most of the time. I eat a lot of wild fish though, so I'm eating the planet out of fish. But you all can have your grass-fed beef for yourself. I buy a little grass-fed lamb once in a while, and sometimes a little beef, but mostly I go to a butcher that has regular meat at reasonable prices and eat that. I still have excellent health doing that.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    If it makes any of you feel better, I eat standard meat most of the time. I eat a lot of wild fish though, so I'm eating the planet out of fish. But you all can have your grass-fed beef for yourself. I buy a little grass-fed lamb once in a while, and sometimes a little beef, but mostly I go to a butcher that has regular meat at reasonable prices and eat that. I still have excellent health doing that.
                    My opinion is that the switch away from seed oils/cereal grains/sugar and other processed foods to whole natural foods provides most of the benefits. Tweaking to go organic/pastured/grass fed less so. It's not like there's ever been a study done.

Comment

Just look at Supersize Me, it didn't put McDonald's out of business. A Primal Blueprint movie might resonate with some, but most will do the usual "I can't possibly eat all that meat" even though we all push veggies by the bushel, or, "I have to have grains to stay regular".

I don't think a PB movie will make much of a difference to the masses, but those of us who are Primal/Paleo will enjoy it!

Comment

I absolutely love the idea. Mark will get funding from me for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                          Just look at Supersize Me, it didn't put McDonald's out of business. A Primal Blueprint movie might resonate with some, but most will do the usual "I can't possibly eat all that meat" even though we all push veggies by the bushel, or, "I have to have grains to stay regular".

I don't think a PB movie will make much of a difference to the masses, but those of us who are Primal/Paleo will enjoy it!
                          Agreed. It is hard to know where the movie is going to go. The selection of modern scenes suggest it will be another diet movie; the selection of early scenes (Native Americans were Caucasians, who knew...) suggests it has possibilities as a political movie. In either case, the segmented modern market means it has about zero chance of making an impact outside the selected segment.
                          “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                          Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

I'm picturing a love scene where the modern paleo guy proposes to his girlfriend, on one knee, illuminated by flickering candlelight, soft music playing in the background, by saying, "Will you eat my bacon?"

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                              I'm picturing a love scene where the modern paleo guy proposes to his girlfriend, on one knee, illuminated by flickering candlelight, soft music playing in the background, by saying, "Will you eat my bacon?"
                              "Will you eat my meat?" has a certain...romantic ring to it.

Comment

oh dear god "will you eat my bacon". Gave me the biggest laugh.

I'm a little surprised by the concept of keeping this Paleo/Primal things under wraps. The unspoken implication is "let the non-believers die off". Makes me cringe a little.

Do you folks recall when Mark asked for ideas of the Next Big Thing he could add to his site? Some attractive offer the community could use his weight behind? Well my suggestion had been to utilize his site for a contacts list for local meat producers, the small folks who need the business. I gave a link to one I know in the central Washington state area as an example; this business was hoping to kick start a huge increase in customers because their closest competitor had recently run themselves outta business by getting ahead of themselves and leasing (at high cost and long contract) with delivery trucks....before the volume of purchasers were there. They were driving full size trucks around with 1-2 boxes in them. Poof. Business closed.

I was hoping it would be a link to farmers similar to his link to Paleo friendly Dr's.

I agree that there is just a segment of society at least right now, who won't be interested and I'd hope the movie wouldn't cartoonize this community further. Otherwise, I say, build the freakin' soil up and get more people on board to create healthy foods.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

Working...
                                X