No announcement yet.

Soaps!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Dr. Bronners and baking soda for washing and shampooing. It works really well for me, and that's all I've been using for two years. In the past 8 months, due to being busy and wanting my natural oils to balance out, I've gotten down to showering only once a week. It's fascinating, because at first (for about two months) my hair was really oily. Now, It's oily maybe the day after I shower, but after that, its perfect: not too oily, and not too dry. I actually once went two weeks without showering, and my hair stayed looking fantastic. My body odor, also, did not increase during that time, correlating with what I ate or how stressed I was, rather than how recently I showered. My husband just uses Dr. Bronners for soap, and only rinses his hair, which works well for him.

I've never really had an acne problem, but Knifegill (my husband) had some horrible acne. Changing his soaps didn't really seem to affect his acne, but changing his diet did (cutting out the dairy and sugars). Also, adding in dandelion tea really helped tighten up his skin and reduce acne. He makes the tea out of the dandelion roots, which work better than tea from the leaves (though the leaves work pretty well, and might taste better to you...).

Comment

Aldergirl-I've read nothing but good things about dr bronners, seems like an awesome soap. Unfortunately it's harder to get here in New Zealand, and a lot more expensive. Still, I'd like to try it.
      You only shower once a week? Me too! When my family figured that out they were all really grossed out, but when I asked them if I smelt, they had to admit that no, I don't smell. And believe me, they're not the sort of people that would lie to spare my feelings. Of course, now I'm washing my face daily.
      Right now I'm drinking milk thistle tea, I'll have a look into the dandelion, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Traveller View Post
        Thanks for that, Hobbit.

Have you noticed any healing effects from dr bronners? Relief from acne, psorasis, dry skin, etc?
        I do have less acne now but I attribute that more to diet, since I actually wash my face less.

Comment

So, I read through this topic--pretty interesting. I'm considering switching to baking soda just to see what happens (I tend to have oily skin and hair ;/)

But for those who don't use any store-bought products ... what do you use instead of shaving cream/gel? I've heard of using things like butter or olive oil, but doesn't it gunk up the razor?
          My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
          (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
          Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
          (Red Dwarf)

Comment

Hi Cyborcat,

glad you've found this thread useful!
            I've heard of a lot of people using coconut oil for shaving, and also jojoba oil.
            There's also a lot of people who use natural soaps, such as dr bronners.

Comment

Hey there.
              I've heard of a lot of people using coconut oil for shaving, and also jojoba oil.
              Thanks. I've heard of using various kinds of oil, but I'm wondering how big a pain it is to clean the razor afterwards.
              There's also a lot of people who use natural soaps, such as dr bronners.
              Thanks again. I'll keep that in mind, but would rather keep it simple and just try something that's not soap rather than to seek out hard-to-find and/or expensive natural soap.

(Red Dwarf)

Comment

Can't help with the razor question, sorry, no personal experience there. Perhaps try it with a disposable razor, just in case it does gunk it up. I would imagine rinsing it in hot water would do the trick, but I haven't tried it.

Comment

Couldn't hurt to try. The longer I think about it, the more I like the idea of not having to buy all these silly products anymore. Tho, from what others have said, my long hair might mean that I'll have to keep using shampoo or at least conditioner, but we'll see.

(Red Dwarf)

Comment

Let us know how it works out!

Also, apple cider vinegar is the best hair conditioner I've ever used. Seriously. And my hair goes down to about mid-back.
                    Just thought I'd let you know.

Comment

Okay, I'm slightly ecstatic right now.

Why? Because someone told me my skin looks -quote- 'lovely'. They actually said ''your face looks lovely, your skin has really cleared up.''

Tomorrow it'll have been a week since I started using the black soap, I'll do a full update then.

In the mean time, I'll just dance around with a stupid grin on my face.

Comment

Hi paleodog,

Yup, until about 3 weeks ago I didn't use any soap (except for washing my hands) at all. For both face and body it was just water, and I had no complaints. For about 7 months all was great, but then I started breaking out. I didn't want to use any soaps or cleansers on my face because it felt un-primal (made-up word alert!).
                        I get your point about how people in the wild keep clear skin, and in the paleolithic times, but I think we also have to take into account our daily environment. All the chemicals that we're exposed to almost every day, our ancestors didn't have anything like that. Dishwashing soap, laundry detergents, hand soap, etc. Perhaps for some people, daily contact with these things is just to much for our skin to handle by itself, and needs some help from natural soaps and remedies.

Just, you know, a theory.

Thanks for posting!
                        I meant to chime in on this, but got busy with the kiddos...

A long time ago, I used to live in a big city, and I have sensitive skin, and it was suggested to me that I even wear foundation makeup as a barrier on my skin. It worked/helped. So, IMHO, yeah, there are situations that require some "product".

Back then, I knew nothing of healthy living/natural body care, so there was a LOT I could have done besides wear makeup, which I did eventually learn (and am still learning), but still.
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

For fun I thought I'd try some of that Black African soap. The texture/moisturizing is nice, but I'm not fond of the smell. It vaguely reminds me of those cakes they put in public restroom urinals... not exactly but to me the scent is similar.

On the on the hand I really like the smell of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint/Hemp soap. Mmm good.

Comment

i live in an old city, so totally get the environmental toxins concern.

however, with my improved diet and sleep, my skin and hair are MUCH healthier. good hydration is also key.

btw, i haven't used shampoo in nearly a year, but do use an all-natural conditioner, and deep-condition with coconut oil a few times per week.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I found a wonderful soap in the market in a small town I passed by a while ago. It's just ash and animal fat in that thing, works like a charm. It's a shame I haven't been able to find it where I live, tho :P

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborcat View Post
                                But for those who don't use any store-bought products ... what do you use instead of shaving cream/gel? I've heard of using things like butter or olive oil, but doesn't it gunk up the razor?
                                I use aloe vera gel. Also use it as a shampoo sometimes for my hair since I shed all over the place. This stops it for upwards of three days before I start shedding again.

Comment

Working...
                                X